Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 08:42 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

It's safe to say before we have a vaccine more and more cases will occur. Vaccine development is a global effort and non political.

What seems to be well controlled is the death rate... and that's not to diminish how many have died. New (actually old drugs) therapies have reduced death rates by 35%

40%+ of the deaths in the US occurred in nursing homes. 42 states took preemptive positive steps to prevent covid spread at those facilities.

The OP has often shown bias and contempt for republican run states and regularly takes cheap shots at Gov. DeSantis, all guised as a logical centrist view.Nothing in fact could be further from the truth. Hate presented as benign rational thought, is still a malignant attempt to spread a false narrative.

I hope most of us see through this.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:45 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Vox is never worthy of consideration.

Always hilarious how the Left will bash sites like Breitbart but then post drivel from Vox, Slate or Mother Jones

Old 06-17-2020, 08:45 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Especially if it shows this federal administration to be misinformed, lying, confused about their 'success' in managing this health crisis right.
No, just in general. Vox is nothing but outright propaganda with no journalistic standards or ethics whatsoever. I get why someone like yourself would have no problem with that since they push the kind of propaganda you are in favor of, but less biased people will tend to not appreciate it. You might as well be defending Breitbart

Old 06-17-2020, 08:49 AM

1,231 posts, read 448,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It would be nice.

But it will never happen.

Not when the Left has a vested interest in keeping things shut down to artificially dump on what was the best economy in the history of the Country.

November is coming and they NEED the virus to be apocalyptic.
You still don't get it and you still don't get how it works. The virus is out there still and keeps people away. Businesses have to shut down because their employees and customers are getting sick. You don't get it yet? Think that is good for the economy? Thank that helps the economy?

Old 06-17-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
But how do you stop such large groups of protesters without resorting to violence and arrests. I get what your saying and it doesn't make it right, but admittedly these protests are nearly impossible to stop without it turning into a melee. I don't claim to be in the mind of every leftist in America and was definitely not paying attention to what was going on in many cities, with the exception of my own. I think our leadership here was highly uncomfortable with it but ultimately just had to go with it. I will agree that they should have spoken up much more loudly/clearly on the health dangers of it.

That said, it was outdoors, which is already proving to be almost harmless as evidenced by beach gatherings, outdoor mass, etc and it has been rare to find signficant instances of outdoor spread.

Indoors is yet another beast entirely and I don't think it's out of line to show that that an indoor political rally, even if you spread people apart, is a recipe for a super-spreader event. It just is the reality of it. Personally, I believe the RNC should take the rally to an outdoor venue. It's the responsible thing to do. Well, actually, the responsible thing to do is no rallies, no protests. Not if you're serious about keeping the lid on this thing.

Out of my own curiousity, I am really interesting in hearing the outcomes of the outdoor protests in regard to COVID transmission. Getting good data on that (and hopefully it's good news) will likely help us all feel better about future outdoor activites. Alternatively, I'll likely want to see what results from an indoor rally as it can also better inform how to handle large gatherings.

There's a difference between "not being able to stop" the protests........

......And actively promoting the protests and refusing to stop the riots and even put up bail for those arrested.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
You still don't get it and you still don't get how it works. The virus is out there still and keeps people away. Businesses have to shut down because their employees and customers are getting sick. You don't get it yet? Think that is good for the economy? Thank that helps the economy?

I get that there's difference between reaction and over reaction.

Especially when some people benefit from over reacting.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:57 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
That's not really how it works. If businesses are not forced to shut down, they don't shut down. There are businesses that were so damaged by the government forcing them to shut down for so long that they were forced out of business, but that can't be blamed on the virus, it's the fault of the government.

When things are allowed to remain open, those businesses do just fine.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:59 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not that Florida really re-opened in the first place with all bars in South Florida still closed under orders of Governor DeSantis. Florida cases are hitting new records all the time, and the Testing vs Cases ratio also keeps increasing. Amazingly the Trump admin pretty much declared the pandemic a done-deal.

Restaurants again shutting their doors as coronavirus flares

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...s8E?li=BBnb7Kz

On Tuesday, Texas reported an 8.3% increase in hospitalizations to a record 2,518, the largest daily jump since June 4. The rolling seven-day average rose to a record 2,243, according to the state health department.

Florida is one of of 22 states where daily coronavirus cases are rising. The state's hospitalization count has nearly doubled since May 4, when its governor relaxed a month-long stay-at-home order by letting restaurants and stores outside of South Florida open at 25% capacity. The Sunshine State reported 80,109 cases on Tuesday, an increase of 3.6% from Monday.

After biggest one-day coronavirus total, how bad could it get in Florida?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...3lq-story.html

The record number came not as a spike on an otherwise flat trend line but followed two weeks of rising numbers. It comes as a growing percentage of people taking the test come up positive for the disease. And it’s accompanied by a rise in emergency room visits for flu-like symptoms since early May, a closely watched statistic thought to represent the leading edge of the disease.
I've read where that is happening. As much as DeSantis refuses to see what is going on, I'm glad to see local business owners are being responsible and taking appropriate actions.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The OP has often shown bias and contempt for republican run states and regularly takes cheap shots at Gov. DeSantis
That is a fairly dishonest statement.

DeSantis and his handling of the pandemic is a walking and talking argument against the fake "its a blue state conspiracy" BS.

I dont blame DeSantis for the virus, or even his handling of it, but the truth is that he is one of the many Republican governors who ordered a shut-down and never fully re-opened. Lot of things are still closed down in South Florida under his orders, so its weird seeing people rave about how the "blue states closed down to hurt Trump". Its absurd, and there is nothing hateful in exposing the nonsense.

PS Accusing people of hatred when they disagree with you is now 6 yr olds argue at the sandbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've read where that is happening. As much as DeSantis refuses to see what is going on, I'm glad to see local business owners are being responsible and taking appropriate actions.
That is the key to this. We don't need a State wide close downs, we just need an informed population. Some people seem to be strictly against it, calling it "left wing media hysteria", like Gov Abott did, and Trump admin of course.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNam3 View Post
More non-sense. The woman in Jacksonville who claimed she contracted the virus after she went to a bar. How did I know BEFORE EVEN LOOKING her Facebook was going to be full of anti-Trump propaganda? There's no way it's a coincidence. I'm skeptical of all the people claiming to have it.
You can be skeptical if you want, but the business took appropriate action. Evidently they realized what a threat Covid is. And it appears many businesses are doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies