Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 07:48 AM

989 posts, read 456,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I never called the virus itself a conspiracy.

But you cannot seriously look at the way that the Left and the media was bashing people for going to the beach and Governors arresting people for surfing alone or for opening business and then turn around and give a pass to people protesting and not even trying to stop the rioting and not see as plain as day that it's being used as a political weapon.
People were doing a lot of virtue signaling when the phases started reopening or even before. When the protests started it was at a time when most places were entering Phase 2. Still definitely NOT OKAY as far as transmission and social distancing policies. Everyone I know sat back and said/thought "OMG, look at them all gathered up like that--they should not be doing that and how is this allowed." But tell me how the optics would have looked at that point in time, after George Floyd's public death at the hands of law enforcement, to then have law enforcement somehow try to swoop down in various cities and control/contain thousands and thousands of protesters. We aren't talking about a group of 200 people. They would not even had had the manpower to accomplish it much less do so without more immediate deaths on their hands.

Honestly, I think they all just threw in the towel at that point because there was really nothing that could be safely done to stop it. That doesn't mean anyone in leadership thought it was OK.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:49 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The OP is editing what other posters are stating and what the authorities are saying.

It was clearly understood there would be a rise in cases. No one said it was gone or going away or conquered... it's a matter of controlling hot spots and not have hospitals over whelmed.

The focus should STILL be on the elderly who are frail with under lying health issues.
It's the younger people driving the spikes. They are back out there partying and dating and going to bars and restaurants.
21% of hospitalizations in Dallas are under 40 years old.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...-young-adults/

Old 06-17-2020, 07:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
When you say things like your last sentence above and then this one:

While not saying it directly, it sounds like you believe this is a political conspiracy. While you think "the left" may want things shut down; honestly, everyone I know on the left does not feel that way at all and doesn't like the economy or their own job loss. But they happen to place a higher priority on the health aspect of the pandemic them others do. That doesn't make it a political weapon or conspiracy but your statements sure sound like it does.
Not only does he believe it's a conspiracy, but he also blames others for doing the EXACT same thing he does (on steroids) with every post, which is to shift blame non-stop.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-17-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-17-2020, 07:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,991 times
So tired of this closing crap. Hurry and let everyone get it already so we can be done in 2 weeks

I will not wear mask, social distance. None Notta

Old 06-17-2020, 07:54 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Houston is planning on using its stadium to accommodate the increase.
Please provide the stats that show that the Texas hospital system is being overloaded.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:56 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
IMO, we can avoid another shut-down if we keep people better informed. Those Texas restaurants are re-closing because the Texas citizens were convinced by their politicians that it was over, when it wasn't
Really, all of us were convinced by our politicians that "it" was over? All 30 million of us? Do tell.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The numbers I posted are from the Texas.gov website.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspx

But you are a free man, so you can choose to bury your head in the sand and scream "fake news, fake news.....".
My head is not in the sand. Yours is. I know that the numbers aren't accurate. You should, too. There are so many variables, so many ways of counting infections, hospitalization and deaths, so much politics AND MONEY involved, you'd have to be an abject moron to think they accurately represent reality.

I'm not saying there are better numbers to go on. There aren't. All we can do is use the information provided, knowing it's not accurate.

China reported (and are still reporting) numbers, too. Did/do you believe their stats were/are correct?

You put way too much trust in authority figures. WAY too much.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Really, all of us were convinced by our politicians that "it" was over? All 30 million of us? Do tell.
That's certainly the line that you'll get from the DNC bot....and all of the idiots who took to the streets to "protest" one of the many murders that happens every day in another state certainly weren't intelligent enough to know the consequences of their actions. They just allowed their masters at the DNC plantation to work them up into a frenzy and do their bidding and those masters are now attempting to blame others for what they caused.

So basically, nothing new.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Different story here in SC. The Governor blamed the spikes on people not being cautious.
Said he was not going to shut down the economy again and people have to take responsibility for their own safety.
People would be more cautions if they were more informed about the present dangers as opposed to seeing anyone who speaks about it being accused of lying and spreading fake news.

Look at the posts even on this thread. Cases ARE spiking, but the reaction is that it's only a left-wing and media conspiracy to hurt Trump.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My head is not in the sand. Yours is. I know that the numbers aren't accurate. You should, too.
Why would the State of Texas lie about it? I don't think the standard "blue state conspiracy" argument works in case of Texas (or Florida).

Accept the facts, realize where you are, assess the risks and behave accordingly.

Florida reported 2,783 new cases.
Texas reported 2,622,
Arizona reported a one-day jump of 2,392 new cases.
Oklahoma, Oregon and Nevada also reported their highest single-day spikes in cases yet

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-17-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies