Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:28 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This woman is not only a kook, but also a budding totalitarian dictator in waiting.

If any segment of our society is not racially biased, it is the medical sector in how they treat patients. For her to imply otherwise, will only foment more racial bias suspicions where none should exist.

She is requiring the training to renew professional licences.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ls/3287034001/

If I were an MD, nurse, paramedic, etc., I tell her to stick her requirement where the sun doesn't shine.

`
Did you know that to this very day, actual doctors and nurses STILL believe that Black people have a higher pain tolerance and literally thicker skin than non-Blacks and that impacts how they allow medicine and pain killers in hospitals.

This study has been repeated many times, and even as recently as 2016 this was still a highly held belief by literal doctors and nurses.

Do I need to repeat that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 AM

2,923 posts, read 979,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There is evidence. Maternal mortality among African American mothers, regardless of socioeconomic status, is far worse than among Caucasian mothers in the US. There is no reason why anyone who is getting appropriate medical care in a developed country should die in childbirth. Yet it still happens.
I love how liberals talk about conservatives ignoring facts and believing in conspiracy theories when they do it themselves all the time. Your post is a perfect example. What is the more likely cause here 1. FACT: black women are the most obese subsection of the population and thus are more likely to have underlying health issues. Or 2. CONSPIRACY THEORY: Nurses and doctors are 'racist' and are doing 'something' to cause black women to die at higher rates during childbirth.

Lets see, which one makes more sense?

Old 07-10-2020, 07:32 AM

2,923 posts, read 979,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Did you know that to this very day, actual doctors and nurses STILL believe that Black people have a higher pain tolerance and literally thicker skin than non-Blacks and that impacts how they allow medicine and pain killers in hospitals.

This study has been repeated many times, and even as recently as 2016 this was still a highly held belief by literal doctors and nurses.

Do I need to repeat that?
please post a reputable source. this sounds like pure quackery and i bet there is not a single person that actually thinks this. not one.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
please post a reputable source. this sounds like pure quackery and i bet there is not a single person that actually thinks this. not one.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843483/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654683/

And the real takeaway from this, like many other circumstances, is if people actually listened to Black people actually talking about mistreatment, these things would have been exposed much much much much earlier.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:36 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
You can literally type it into google and pick one of 30+ studies that come up on the first page. Your asking to be spoon fed like a child that is a waste of time.

If you were a medical student asking me to do that I would throw you out my rotation. Do some work yourself

Old 07-10-2020, 07:42 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This woman is not only a kook, but also a budding totalitarian dictator in waiting.

If any segment of our society is not racially biased, it is the medical sector in how they treat patients. For her to imply otherwise, will only foment more racial bias suspicions where none should exist.

She is requiring the training to renew professional licences.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ls/3287034001/

If I were an MD, nurse, paramedic, etc., I tell her to stick her requirement where the sun doesn't shine.

`

she is not in charge of licensing health care professionals. She cannot dictate such a thing.

that said, we had last year in our company, a session we had to attend that was sensitivity training, i.e. how to treat fellow employees. When i heard this, i laughed, for we learned how to have good manners when we were little kids. so silly, now this concept has turned into mandates for keeping your job.. we were just having this class in order how to not make mistakes that would be discrimination to other people, sometimes you don't realize you cant say some words like "re-tarded' or such like that. but this has gone way too far, and now you might lose your job if you don't succumb to the powers that be, when its ridiculous.

the worse thing is this one government agency i heard on the news, they are actually having classes where they have to apologize for being a certain color at birth, and now they have to give up their "priviledge" and made to feel uncomfortable. If i were attending that, I'd feel like a 1930's black woman because they are making white people feel what it felt like to be that person. that's very scary and illegal. but people are doing it anyway and getting away with it.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You can literally type it into google and pick one of 30+ studies that come up on the first page. Your asking to be spoon fed like a child that is a waste of time.

If you were a medical student asking me to do that I would throw you out my rotation. Do some work yourself
I can almost guarantee that everyone who didn't know this, reads the links to any one of the studies available, realizes that it's in fact true, will immediately forget it and go back to parroting talking point that there is no discrimination in medicine.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:49 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
One of the few things keeping me sane in these times is the fact that most of this thread is people calling the OP out on their bull****.

There's nothing insane about having medical professionals go through this training.

here's why. So many people are going to have to be turned into sheep, being forced to listen to propaganda from the leftists and others who have a bias.

This is what they do in Communist countries, they blare propaganda thru the loudspeakers.

this is also Orwellian like the story 1984, where they tried to force propaganda into people to make them believe the Orwellian lies.

but, the governor does not have the right to force health care professionals things that will affect their license.. there are government agencies set up to do that like the Michigan Dept of Health or something. Those are the ones who have the authority to give licenses to people based on whether they qualify for a license. If they determine a doctor needs some kind of training, then they set the law, but the governor just cant willy nilly decide such things.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There is evidence. Maternal mortality among African American mothers, regardless of socioeconomic status, is far worse than among Caucasian mothers in the US. There is no reason why anyone who is getting appropriate medical care in a developed country should die in childbirth. Yet it still happens.
While those stats might be accurate (I have not researched it), rest assured there are a variety of reasons for that, having nothing to do with individual caregivers providing substandard care to blacks, but giving standard care to whites.

For a few possible explanations;

There may be better and more qualified access for whites who live in areas of more affluence.
Needless that would have nothing to do with individual caregivers.

Whites could be more likely to have private health insurance which gives them greater choices in facilities, MD's, etc.
Again, has nothing to do with caregivers.

Blacks might receive less prenatal care due to lack of funds, access to top facilities, education, etc.
Again, has nothing to do with caregivers.

Blacks might be in poorer health overall, whether it be due to diet, smoking, drug use, etc.
" "

It is not uncommon in poor communities (whites as well, but more common in minority communities) they decide to have childbirth at home with midwife who is not equipped to deal with emergencies during childbirth.
" "

---

Now you can say that is not fair, and it shouldn't happen in America, etc.
Fine, I'd agree that the delivery of healthcare should be better for everyone, including the poor and uneducated.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with the men and women in the healthcare profession who deliver the best care to can to patients, regardless of their race or ethnic background.

`

Old 07-10-2020, 08:51 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Actually, there’s a lot of evidence. All one has to do is look for it.

“Implicit Bias in Medicine

Implicit biases affect patient care, medical school admissions, faculty hiring, promotion and growth opportunities.5,6

It is at the heart of disparities in medicine. Such disparities are particularly prevalent in cardiovascular medicine, in which African-Americans are less likely than whites to receive evidence-based care for stroke, myocardial infarction and heart failure.7”

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...ty-in-medicine

“ In 2005, the Institute of Medicine—a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization that now calls itself the National Academy of Medicine (NAM)—released a report documenting that the poverty in which black people disproportionately live cannot account for the fact that black people are sicker and have shorter life spans than their white complements. NAM found that “racial and ethnic minorities receive lower-quality health care than white people—even when insurance status, income, age, and severity of conditions are comparable.” By “lower-quality health care,” NAM meant the concrete, inferior care that physicians give their black patients. NAM reported that minority persons are less likely than white persons to be given appropriate cardiac care, to receive kidney dialysis or transplants, and to receive the best treatments for stroke, cancer, or AIDS. It concluded by describing an “uncomfortable reality”: “some people in the United States were more likely to die from cancer, heart disease, and diabetes simply because of their race or ethnicity, not just because they lack access to health care.” ”

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...n-health-care/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4638275/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140753/

If you read my post above this one #41, you will see how I addressed a few of the posters comments.

Yours are similar in that you attribute higher death rates or medical problems, with an implication that individual caregivers are not looking at a patient based on medical need, rather race.
That is absurd.
Access to care, poor health in general, improper diet, genetic predispositions, poor education, etc. etc. etc. have NOTHING to do with a MD, nurse, or other medical professional delivering the best care they are capable of.

You almost make it sound like when a white person comes into the ER the staff jumps to it, and do everything possible to help the person. But when a black person comes in, they are ambivalent toward the outcome of the persons medical malady.
That is absurd, and you should know that in your heart.

If you and others have gotten to the point of thinking (or being brainwashed) that every aspect of life treats blacks poorly, and whites are all being carried around on litters in the lap of luxury, we have much bigger problems in race relations than we did just a decade or so ago.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies