Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times

Advertisements

As a "bleeding liberal" and a nurse and a paramedic, I have to pretty much agree with the OP.

Medical personnel almost never exhibit any kind of bias, racial, political or otherwise, when it comes to careing for the sick and injured. There is only one enemy and that is death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 11:04 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Here is a news flash for you.
I use to work in the field, and aside from me treating everyone the same, I worked around hundreds of others in various disciplines within the medical field. Never once, I repeat, never once did I ever hear or witnessed a single person treat a patient differently because they were a minority. That includes the gang-bangers who use to come in half dead with gun and knife wounds.

It is one thing to make sweeping generalizations about certain professions such as LEO's. While the overwhelming majority are good people, some are bad apples. That combined where they are constantly in an adversarial role with people never wanting to be held accountable (of any stripe), they can become jaded, hardened and defensive.
So for a cop (of any stripe) who is going to be dealing with the minority communities, it might make some sense to have special training for them to better interact with said communities to help defuse tensions.

Mind you, not some leftist tripe about how whites are privileged or blacks are systemically discriminated against.
Rather some better understanding of how to best communicate with the public, especially if you are of a difference race than the community you work in.
However, that should also be a two way street where black, brown, yellow, and red officers must be told how best to communicate with white people.
If nothing else, that takes away the assumption that white cops are inherently racist or lacking something, cops of other races possess.
The very loaded language you're using in this post kinda proves my point, but let me explain this another way.

To the very best of my knowledge, I haven't ever intentionally sexually harassed anyone at work. I've never committed a violent act in the workplace, nor used computers/technology for nefarious purposes. I'd argue that the same applies to most people who are qualified to do their jobs. In fact, since the time I finished high school, I had a pretty solid grasp on what is appropriate and what can you in DEEP trouble in the work place. Pretty much every single job I've had, ranging from retail, the hospitality industry, and now in higher education, has had some basic form of mandatory sexual harassment training for the workplace. Even though the vast majority of what employers want you to know seems like "common sense", every now and then I'll learn something new. I also have to periodically undergo training for FERPA/privacy, anti-bullying, violence in the work place/"active shooter" drills, etc. Most of these trainings, as I said earlier, aren't very time-consuming, nor are they difficult. You literally watch video clips that highlight different scenarios and then you answer a handful of multiple choice questions. One would think that all these trainings are unnecessary since they're so ubiquitous, but NOPE! Sexual harassment is a constant problem in the workplace.

If I don't want to do the training, I am free to choose NOT to do so, but then I'll be left to find another job or start my own business. Aside from actually trying to prevent incidents at work, employers generally want to protect themselves from lawsuits if/when it happens.

It's clear you didn't read/understand the article though. Your OP sounds like you just read the title and then launched into multiple scathing screeds attacking her character without even understanding what implicit bias even means.

HINT: We all have implicit biases. Pick up a basic psychology book sometime, or at the very least read the handful of articles others have posted in this thread.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 07-10-2020 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Add a note

Old 07-10-2020, 11:16 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
I think the governor is the one who needs training. FYI, my primary care doctor is black. Does he need training?
So black people are incapable of having prejudices and biases against other people, because they're black?

Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
There's nothing insane about having medical professionals go through this training.
It's definitely one of those trainings that can't do any harm, and possibly may do some good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
So many people are going to have to be turned into sheep, being forced to listen to propaganda from the leftists and others who have a bias.
As opposed to the propaganda that tells you that anyone who participates in any kind of bias training is a sheep?

Quote:
but, the governor does not have the right to force health care professionals things that will affect their license.. there are government agencies set up to do that like the Michigan Dept of Health or something.
The governor, as the leader of the executive branch, can ask the department of health "or something" to change licensing requirements. The governor also can introduce legislation in the state assembly that would do the same. This is eighth grade civics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well first of all, lets start out with the premise some of these terms like implicit bias, microaggressions, triggered, etc., are all things that are newly discovered in the present "woke" culture among the liberals/leftists.
None of those words are 'newly discovered'. And apparently not only "liberals/leftists" are capable of being triggered ...
Quote:
Personally I think we have been in a culture war since the 1960's when the apply coined phrase "counter culture" was born. Though that was before many of our times coming of age, we can see many of those hippie types are now at an age that they are influencing our school systems, government, etc.
They see everything traditional with American culture as inherently biased and in need of "transformation".
To a great degree they are still stuck in the 60's.
LMAO ... what?

Quote:
I have run out of time to finish my overall point, but rest assured many of us have encountered hardships, disappointment, and potholes, yet we are white people, supposedly privileged in some way
That's not what white privilege means, and I think you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes she is. Bias based solely on race IS Racism.
You completely missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Medical personnel almost never exhibit any kind of bias, racial, political or otherwise, when it comes to careing for the sick and injured.
Would "almost never" be good enough if you were the one experiencing bias? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's clear you didn't read/understand the article though. Your OP sounds like you just read the title and then launched into multiple scathing screeds attacking her character without even understanding what implicit bias even means.

HINT: We all have implicit biases. Pick up a basic psychology book sometime, or at the very least read the handful of articles others have posted in this thread.
I've been through bias trainings a few times. The ones I've attended assign no blame, but merely help people understand that we all have biases, and how we can break down the barriers that biases put up. Life is so much better when we all play nice.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Would "almost never" be good enough if you were the one experiencing bias? I think not.
Until you have cared for someone who has just beat the crap out of a women with a club, or left a baby laying on a hot stove, or a drunk driver that just killed an entire family, I think you need to ST*U.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
As a "bleeding liberal" and a nurse and a paramedic, I have to pretty much agree with the OP.

Medical personnel almost never exhibit any kind of bias, racial, political or otherwise, when it comes to careing for the sick and injured. There is only one enemy and that is death.
Just so you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Did you know that to this very day, actual doctors and nurses STILL believe that Black people have a higher pain tolerance and literally thicker skin than non-Blacks and that impacts how they allow medicine and pain killers in hospitals.

This study has been repeated many times, and even as recently as 2016 this was still a highly held belief by literal doctors and nurses.

Do I need to repeat that?

Old 07-10-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just so you know...
With 30 years of medical training and experience in a multitude of environments, I have never one time heard of such nonsense expressed in modern medicine.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,642 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:

No, you're inferring. She's saying that the health care profession could benefit from implicit bias training.
You didnt read the article did you?

Old 07-10-2020, 01:09 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
It's definitely one of those trainings that can't do any harm, and possibly may do some good.

Let me stop you right there.

I know you look at things from a very leftist point of view which is fine for you I guess.
But it does not mean that your version of XYZ general training is right or best for moderates and conservatives.

For example in an unrelated field, lets say a historical museum guide was required to learn Politically Incorrect History, to help them be more informative to the people they give information to.
Some, if not most of such a book (it does exist)shows how a liberal/leftist view has warped history, at least according to everyone but liberals.

Thus when talking about the evils of slavery, you must point out how blacks were captured and enslaved by fellow blacks in Africa, to be sold to the white buyers. It would also require that people know about American blacks who were slave owners themselves.
Even though both things are historically accurate, would you want every guide to be required to know and tell people that.
After all, it might do some good.

`

Old 07-10-2020, 01:21 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Quote:
Until you have cared for someone who has just beat the crap out of a women with a club, or left a baby laying on a hot stove, or a drunk driver that just killed an entire family, I think you need to ST*U.
Exactly!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies