Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 02:02 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Assuming this is the study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....09.20116806v2

While interesting, I would note the sample size of 106 is likely too small for a general conclusion to be made.
Might be. That wasn't the site I was reading. They were mentioning the Indian government starting to use it for front-line workers and military.

Regardless, I'll wait for the results of the Henry Ford study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Representative Louie Ghomert, who has been diagnosed with an apparently asymptomatic case of the Wuhan virus, will use zinc, Erythromycin, & Hydroxychloroquine" to fight COVID-19.

Good for him. I wish him the best.
Is his doctor the demon semen woman?

Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Might be. That wasn't the site I was reading. They were mentioning the Indian government starting to use it for front-line workers and military.

Regardless, I'll wait for the results of the Henry Ford study.
You mean this one?
Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients, Henry Ford Health System Study Shows

DETROIT – Treatment with hydroxychloroquine cut the death rate significantly in sick patients hospitalized with COVID-19 – and without heart-related side-effects, according to a new study published by Henry Ford Health System.

In a large-scale retrospective analysis of 2,541 patients hospitalized between March 10 and May 2, 2020 across the system’s six hospitals, the study found 13% of those treated with hydroxychloroquine alone died compared to 26.4% not treated with hydroxychloroquine. None of the patients had documented serious heart abnormalities; however, patients were monitored for a heart condition routinely pointed to as a reason to avoid the drug as a treatment for COVID-19.

The study was published today in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, the peer-reviewed, open-access online publication of the International Society of Infectious Diseases (ISID.org).

Patients treated with hydroxychloroquine at Henry Ford met specific protocol criteria as outlined by the hospital system’s Division of Infectious Diseases. The vast majority received the drug soon after admission; 82% within 24 hours and 91% within 48 hours of admission. All patients in the study were 18 or over with a median age of 64 years; 51% were men and 56% African American.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:36 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
You mean this one?
Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients, Henry Ford Health System Study Shows

DETROIT – Treatment with hydroxychloroquine cut the death rate significantly in sick patients hospitalized with COVID-19 – and without heart-related side-effects, according to a new study published by Henry Ford Health System.

In a large-scale retrospective analysis of 2,541 patients hospitalized between March 10 and May 2, 2020 across the system’s six hospitals, the study found 13% of those treated with hydroxychloroquine alone died compared to 26.4% not treated with hydroxychloroquine. None of the patients had documented serious heart abnormalities; however, patients were monitored for a heart condition routinely pointed to as a reason to avoid the drug as a treatment for COVID-19.

The study was published today in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, the peer-reviewed, open-access online publication of the International Society of Infectious Diseases (ISID.org).

Patients treated with hydroxychloroquine at Henry Ford met specific protocol criteria as outlined by the hospital system’s Division of Infectious Diseases. The vast majority received the drug soon after admission; 82% within 24 hours and 91% within 48 hours of admission. All patients in the study were 18 or over with a median age of 64 years; 51% were men and 56% African American.
A couple things.

This study does show a small decrease in mortality, but it is only observational, not blind placebo controlled. Observational studies typically are first line indicators that require follow up research in better controlled trials to determine causal efficacy.

Second and perhaps more importantly, these results have not been replicated. In fact two other observational studies (linked below) have given contrary results indicating no benefit. Science never accepts as fact the results of one study. If the study results cannot be replicated, then it is useless and effectively has no predictive power.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2012410
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2766117

Given these results, the MOST you could say wrt to hcq is that its effectiveness remains in dispute.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:38 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
A couple things.

This study does show a small decrease in mortality, but it is only observational, not blind placebo controlled. Observational studies typically are first line indicators that require follow up research in better controlled trials to determine causal efficacy.

Second and perhaps more importantly, these results have not been replicated. In fact two other observational studies (linked below) have given contrary results indicating no benefit. Science never accepts as fact the results of one study. If the study results cannot be replicated, then it is useless and effectively has no predictive power.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2012410
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2766117
In other words, it does not support the narrative that you and the rest of the mob are trying to promote on this.

It was peer reviewed. Usually that is the gold standard for you people. "Science says".

You people are truly unbelievable.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:39 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
In other words, it does not support the narrative that you and the rest of the mob are trying to promote on this.

It was peer reviewed. Usually that is the gold standard for you people. "Science says".

You people are truly unbelievable.
You truly cannot comprehend that one study which has had its results contradicted by 2 others of the same type cannot suffice as proof of your narrative?

That is unbelievable.

I have no dog in this fight. If 10 more studies come out right now showing a benefit and science ultimately accepts that it does have a benefit, I don't care one way or the other.

What I'm saying right now is, the POTUS should not be promulgating something as scientific fact which has not been proven as such.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:41 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I want proof that this has actually worked.
Talk to your doctor.

It works.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:23 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Keep an eye on the progress of Louie Gohmert. What a great opportunity for you to see how this works for him in real time.
Well, this is how I see it. The fact that so many people have died, in 6 months, tells me more about this disease than anything else.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:24 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Talk to your doctor.

It works.
I don't know what doctor you've been talking to, but I'm not hearing this from any doctors I know.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:54 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,371,285 times
Welp...I have come to the conclusion you cannot have a battle of wits with unarmed individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies