Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
The real issue is Why can't Congress get their sh*t together? It's their job and they refuse to do it. Now they need to go on vacation so they can work on being re-elected which is apparently much more important to them.
They left? They couldn't reach an agreement and then just went home? Well no wonder Trump signed these emergency EOs. They were just going to leave people with NOTHING? The $600 a week extra went down to $0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 07:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Can someone help me out as to what this bill does, that impacts me?

I was collecting unemployment for the last 4 mths, and just got a job (!) that I start next week.

I had/will have a couple weeks of unemployment that I did not get the $600 for? Will I get that? And what happens to my checks I get going forward? Are there no taxes taken out?

My wife was on unemployment and starts her job in late August, and had a couple checks (and will have a couple more) without the $600 - will she get that retro?

My kids were (and are) on unemployment (and PUA) and missed a couple $600 payments. Will those be retro? And going forward?

Thanks! By the way, Im in Massachusetts
Your benefit was reduced at the end of July by $600, so your unemployment checks from 7/31 on will not include it.

Trump signing an executive order won't impact you because 1) he has no control over the budget - Congress does, and they're on recess until September. And when they get back, they'll just pick up their fighting about what, if anything, should be done. So if any additional money is given, people probably won't see it before fall.

If, when you signed up for unemployment you asked that taxes be deducted, then taxes on the amount you're actually getting will be deducted.

I don't know why your kids and wife didn't get the additional $600. If you look at the MA unemployment information on their website, you may see that you need to do something beyond filing for unemployment to get it. I would assume, but I'm not sure, if they qualified for it they would get it retro back to whenever they applied for either it or unemployment, through the cut off date of 7/31.

Your wife and kids may have to call your local office to get more information. I don't know about now, but a few months ago I was reading people couldn't get through when calling. Hopefully, that's cleared up now.

Congratulations on the new jobs!

Old 08-09-2020, 08:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
GOP is going to pay for this one way or another. Why did they wait? I think this is a clear case of the GOP trying to tank Trumps re-election.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
So all of these lazy people get to have money handed to them for sitting home hurting this economy while the rest of us work!. Trump just now lost my vote!
Yes but all those lazy people sitting at home collecting money will have time to go to the polling stations and vote.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:33 AM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Heck, that is nothing like what would happen if the left got their way. Be happy not sad for heaven's sake. I understand what you are thinking but I see it in a different light.
The left wanted $600 and the right thought it was too much.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump is doing the dance. Trying to hand out with the election hanging over him.

Somebody needs to explain what payroll tax pays for and where we will get that money if we do give a tax holiday for payroll.

I suspect Trump doesn't have a clue.
No, I think you are wrong about that. Trump knows exactly what payroll taxes pay for. They finance Social Security and Medicare. It's no accident that he choose that to cut.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:45 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
the constitution established how spending is to be determined. the executive branch bypassing the legislative branch is a deeply disturbing phenomenon whether done by Obama (who did it regularly) or Trump.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:47 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Trump Signs Executive Orders As Coronavirus Stimulus Talks Falter; Extends Unemployment Benefits At $400 Per Week. Also eviction notice and defers student loan suspension payroll...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharz.../#1b9b46d652d4
Ok. No need for Congress to authorize the money now that the president controls the purse.

No need for Constitution either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The best thing about this is the way he is setting a trap for the Democrats, enticing them to openly opposing this move, perhaps with a legal action.

Think about the politics of that. The Democrats see it. They want to pounce, but even if they win this contest of wills, politically speaking, it will be a pyrrhic victory.

Will the Democrats pounce? Yes? No? I don't know?

I suspect they will not be able to resist. They have positively lost their minds as a result of the out-of-control, malignant hatred they have for President Trump.
Anyone who respects the Constitution needs to speak up.

Unfortunately no one expects Republicans to do anything about it.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Legally he has no authority to take this action. It will be overthrown in the courts. All spending bills must initiate in the House. Even Trump should know this. It’s all theatrics for the election.
Look how fast the media and the lunatic left went from "Trump isn't doing enough to help people in the pandemic" to "Trump isn't allowed to help people with executive actions".

Mental Illness roams the streets

Old 08-09-2020, 08:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I gotta ask - since Trump has waived the payroll tax from July thru December 2020, will that affect how much money i will receive in Social Security/Medicare when i retire? I want to know how this will affect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies