Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2020, 09:36 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
He has a pen, and he has a phone. Just like his predecessor, remember?
So now he's trying to emulate Obama? I thought he wanted to "drain the swamp".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 03:19 AM

448 posts, read 282,616 times
Can someone help me out as to what this bill does, that impacts me?

I was collecting unemployment for the last 4 mths, and just got a job (!) that I start next week.

I had/will have a couple weeks of unemployment that I did not get the $600 for? Will I get that? And what happens to my checks I get going forward? Are there no taxes taken out?

My wife was on unemployment and starts her job in late August, and had a couple checks (and will have a couple more) without the $600 - will she get that retro?

My kids were (and are) on unemployment (and PUA) and missed a couple $600 payments. Will those be retro? And going forward?

Thanks! By the way, Im in Massachusetts

Old 08-09-2020, 03:32 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
This just may be what seals the president's reelection. Pelosi and Schumer are slamming the efforts as "meager actions," which tells you they are terrified

From what it seems, the unilateral extension of the unemployment benefits are on pretty shakey legal ground. And anyone with standing to sue to get that struck down will likely prevail, but President Trump seems to acknowledge this. Still, politically, it is a smart move by Trump as he can throw up his hands and say he tried.

As for the payroll tax holiday, I am always in favor of keeping more of my money.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So now he's trying to emulate Obama? I thought he wanted to "drain the swamp".
This fits in squarely with trying draining the swamp if you think about it for a second. The "swamp" (in this case, Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats) halted progress on immediate aid to struggling Americans due to their insane proposals to forgive student loan debt and to bail out leftist cities and states. So President Trump went around the swamp, which will only hurt the swamp politically as they are seen as standing in the way of people getting relief.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:09 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Trump knows that this attempt by him to bypass congress won't hold up in court. But he's doing it to try to make himself look as though he's concerned about the people. But he's demonstrated countless times that everything he does is to give himself an advantage and the people occupy a very low priority in his agenda.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:25 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,114 times
What about the most important part: the $1200?

I'm counting on that to buy magazines and ammo before the election happens.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Trump knows that this attempt by him to bypass congress won't hold up in court. But he's doing it to try to make himself look as though he's concerned about the people. But he's demonstrated countless times that everything he does is to give himself an advantage and the people occupy a very low priority in his agenda.

True, if it goes to Court.

However, President Trump usurping the role of Congress may spur said body to pass veto-proof legislation or a resolution overturning the executive order. I can see Republicans joining Democrats in such a vote.

Many Republicans are, it is true, scared of going against Mr. Trump, but many of these same Republicans may feel that Mr. Trump is setting a very dangerous precedent for future Presidents, if this is allowed to stand.

Back in the day, I thought well of President Obama's EO concerning DACA, but I questioned the Constitutionality of his act since Congress had been considering the issue, and had not acted on it (a failure to act is tantamount to making a decision, if you will).

An EO is designed to implement existing laws. Mr. Obama cited frustration with Congress for failing to act in issuing the DACA order; the Courts, of course, found that he overstepped his authority (although since hundreds of thousands had 'acted' on the order, the Courts also have been hesitant to go further).

Here, Congress has, again, been considering these actions, but have not acted. Indeed, many Republicans are on record as being against some of the actions, such as extending the enhanced unemployment ($400), the 'payroll tax holiday', and deferring student loans.

The payroll tax holiday is fraught with problems: is the tax forgiven, or simply payment kicked down the road? What of funding of Social Security?

The enhanced unemployment also affects the states, which themselves may file suit tomorrow.

Finally, we must remember what Donald Trump tweeted in November 2014 after President Obama signed the DACA executive order:

"Repubs must not allow Pres Obama to subvert the Constitution of the US for his own benefit & because he is unable to negotiate w/ Congress."

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...431168?lang=en

It is fair to say that President Trump, the self-described 'great negotiator' also was unable to negotiate with Congress.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:55 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
... Pelosi and Schumer are slamming the efforts as "meager actions....
Well... they slam him no matter what he does.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:10 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
This just may be what seals the president's reelection. Pelosi and Schumer are slamming the efforts as "meager actions," which tells you they are terrified

From what it seems, the unilateral extension of the unemployment benefits are on pretty shakey legal ground. And anyone with standing to sue to get that struck down will likely prevail, but President Trump seems to acknowledge this. Still, politically, it is a smart move by Trump as he can throw up his hands and say he tried.

As for the payroll tax holiday, I am always in favor of keeping more of my money.
He hasn’t tried.

Executive branch doesn’t control the purse strings.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:14 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
This fits in squarely with trying draining the swamp if you think about it for a second. The "swamp" (in this case, Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats) halted progress on immediate aid to struggling Americans due to their insane proposals to forgive student loan debt and to bail out leftist cities and states. So President Trump went around the swamp, which will only hurt the swamp politically as they are seen as standing in the way of people getting relief.
The House passed a comprehensive relief bill and sent it to the Senate on May 15, where it was promptly ignored, since it didn't have enough pork benefiting Moscow Mitch's campaign contributors. The Democrats will probably campaign on that fact, effectively.

Trump is up to his same shenanigans - trying to sell the sizzle when there is no steak. Nothing he signed will have any legal standing whatsoever, and will delay actual aid getting to people who desperately need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies