Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:41 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, because this is exactly where spending bills are supposed to originate. You've heard of that little piece of paper called the Constitution, right?
No one is stopping anyone from going to court. The Constitution is still fully intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No one is stopping anyone from going to court. The Constitution is still fully intact.
How sad that our president has to be taken to court to be forced to obey the Constitution, isn't it?

Old 08-08-2020, 04:45 PM

866 posts, read 319,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
So all of these lazy people get to have money handed to them for sitting home hurting this economy while the rest of us work!. Trump just now lost my vote!
A**hole

My business is closed by state order. My employees need everything they can get and so do I. BTW I don't get those stimulus checks despite the fact my current income is -$17k (negative $17,000/month) per month because my PAST income was over $75k. But those who are working (like you) as normal get a check. THAT'S what's f'ed up.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:47 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
All part of the D.C. scene these days. Getting the knee jerk reaction from the left, it's not legal, we'll see him in court. Those on the right not understanding the gig of the Pelosicrats talking point being undercut, cringe. Not pretty anymore, but it is the reality of the stagnated governance that far left and far right corner litmus red lines bring.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,895 times
Some needs to stop him, not to mention a payroll tax cut does NOTHING for people out of work. I guess he had to give his corporate buddies a gift too

Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
A**hole

My business is closed by state order. My employees need everything they can get and so do I. BTW I don't get those stimulus checks despite the fact my current income is -$17k (negative $17,000/month) per month because my PAST income was over $75k. But those who are working (like you) as normal get a check. THAT'S what's f'ed up.
Do not cry to me kid

Old 08-08-2020, 04:51 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Trump Signs Executive Orders As Coronavirus Stimulus Talks Falter; Extends Unemployment Benefits At $400 Per Week. Also eviction notice and defers student loan suspension payroll...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharz.../#1b9b46d652d4
Not that I would oppose the benefit, but I don't think he has that authority. I think he knows he doesn't have that authority too. Once again, Trump is pushing the envelope of executive power.

No constitutionalist can accept that.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm certain if Pelosi had come out with the same plan and it was accepted, you'd be jumping up and down with joy.
Yes, because this is exactly where spending bills are supposed to originate. You've heard of that little piece of paper called the Constitution, right?
The 'order' is unfunded.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:52 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
So what about small businesses that are still operating at 25-50% pre-Covid (because of mandates and just simple lack of customers)? Many were relying on PPP to subsidize payroll, but that's expired.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:55 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Turns out the $400 is actually $300 Federal money, and he's asking the states to chip in $100 per person.

Anybody know if that's $400 per person? Or $400 per family? Or $400 per "unemployed person" (meaning, each person eligible to work who isn't working?

And when is this money supposed to be showing up?

And how many weeks (months?) is it supposed to keep coming?

Don't know about other states, but California has been saying that if the Feds come up with less than $600 per person, they (Calif) will give out whatever it takes to bring the total up to $600.

So far that's only talk from Calif. Now we'll see if they want to sign the State part into law.

Just one little problem: The Calif constitution requires them to balance their budget every year. How they figure to come up with and extra $300 for every one of their 40 million population, remains to be seen.
It will be zero if the Democrats get it blocked in court. Many people will be hurt by that and it will be the Democrats who will be to blame for making it happen.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:56 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Once again we have Trump believing he is now all three branches of the government. Why bother to have a representative government when you have a president who usurps their power and takes it for his own? And when you have a complicit Senate to aid and abet his power grab, who is to stop him?

I sure do hope this ends up in the courts. Someone has to put a stake in the ground and say enough.
LOL.

This move is rather Obama-esque. I will conceed that much to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies