Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 12:07 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I'll wager you're an Eagle fan:

Ray Lewis: I just think it’s really hard. I would not want to play football in today’s times, because [of] the integrity of the game. We had defensive players, but it seems like there is no such thing as defensive players once you cross those lines. Tuck rule, can’t hit the quarterback low, can’t go high. Your head can’t engage with another guy’s head.
You’re asking a defensive player to get hurt, first and foremost. Quarterbacks now have the liberty to run, to fake slide, to keep going, to fake like they’re going out of bounds. We’ve always been reactive to the offensive side of the ball. Now we have to deal with fines, getting kicked out. Now the game is diluted. This is fantasy football. That’s all it is. That’s what this game is about now, fantasy football.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/...avor-offenses/
All the above safety factor due to CTE. In general today's athletes due to more intensive workout regiments are bigger, stronger and faster then ever before. Athletes have also become more skilled from the advanced coaching/instruction they get in their youth years through sports camps etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 12:23 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
This will be my third season of. not watching.

Believe it or not there is life after football.
No skin off my back. I stopped watching the NFL in 1995 when Art Modell took my football team. I became openly hostile to its existence after they screwed St Louis.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:37 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
They are doing it because they are TERRIFIED of being called "racists" at their cocktail parties.
Sort of, NFL is the dominant sports league in the US. They peaked in their 16-50 make audience a while back so the only way to expand was to appeal to women and casual sports fans. That new audience has different sensibilities and the NFL has to constantly pander to them, knowing that if they alienate their core base it's not that serious because they are fans for life. We'll find out if that's true or not over time

Old 09-03-2020, 12:55 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
All the above safety factor due to CTE. In general today's athletes due to more intensive workout regiments are bigger, stronger and faster then ever before. Athletes have also become more skilled from the advanced coaching/instruction they get in their youth years through sports camps etc.

How the game changed isn't as important as whether or not fans can accept the changes.
The game simply doesn't flow anymore, as refs and players continue to struggle with never ending rule changes. This is why I stopped watching, our thread topic alone wouldn't be enough for me to abandon the NFL. The issue is the same for me w/the NBA, once forearm and hand checks were eliminated in favor of offense; I was through watching.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:03 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
A close friend of mine is employed by a nationwide company which, for decades, has bought season tickets at venues all over America as giveaways for business customers. He was recently informed by a marketing Vice-president that it will no longer happen due to the BLM affiliations. (Officially, the company is calling it a reduction in spending.)

He was also told that other companies in that industry are doing the same. No more season tickets or box seats for football, basketball or baseball.

I hope hockey doesn't get involved so we can still score box seats for their games.
(We also get unlimited ski resort passes. I think those are also still safe.)

WONDERFUL, I hope more companies do the same. Hit them where it hurts the most!

BTW, I felt exactly the same way when Ali's boxing privileges were taken away for political reasons. I didn't agree with him, but I sure as hell didn't agree with the powers that be at that time

Old 09-03-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Die hard Cowboys fan since I was 7. They were my dad's team. Ive seen them play in DC, New York, Philadelphia, Denver and Detroit. I haven't watched a game since 2017. My counter protest.
I miss rooting for the boys, and I miss watching games with my son. He is a Bears guy.

Real fans? true fans? It's always more than the game. Ask any Eagles fan. Bunch of psychos. For some of us principle by far outweighs any game.

Sorry I can't rep you again.

Best post in this thread.

My father taught me over 60 years ago that when you give up your principles, you lose everything!

Old 09-03-2020, 01:20 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Looks like I'll be skipping another season of disappointment and agony by the Chicago Bears then.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Looks like I'll be skipping another season of disappointment and agony by the Chicago Bears then.
If only this had happened when Jay Cutler was still with the team, it would have killed two birds with one stone.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hope you realize you sound just like the BLM folks when you use their talking points
In case you missed it....

Old 09-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The owners don't really believe in this - but they are doing it for financial reasons, plain and simple.

Because BLM and sharpton have scared every advertiser in the US. Nike, Coke, Pepsi, P&G rule because they have all been blackmailed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies