Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 09:42 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
We actually don't know that there wasn't support in the Senate. The Senate majority leader made the decision not to bring it to a vote. In fact, by doing so, he shielded Republican Senators who would have had to answer to their constituents voting one way or the other - doesn't that sound like McConnel subverted the will of the people?
If the Senate supported the pick, they'd have moved forward with it. They chose instead not to waste time on a non-starter.

The argument last time was between Democrats saying "YOU HAVE TO MOVE FORWARD WITH A VOTE" and the Republicans saying "No, we really don't have to if we don't want to, and we think our constituents would prefer we not"......and the Republicans were right and were rewarded by voters for that stance.

Today the argument is between Democrats saying "YOU CAN'T MOVE FORWARD WITH A VOTE" and the Republicans saying "Well, yeah we really can, and that's what we were voted into office to do"

The hypocrisy is by Democrats who are taking an opposite stance today than they did 4 years ago. The Republicans are merely arguing that the choice is theirs, it was then, it is now.

We'll see how voters react, but it doesn't really matter in the short term, the Republicans control the White House and Senate, it's completely their choice....it's what they ran on, it's what the voters put them in office to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 09:42 AM

2,872 posts, read 1,151,678 times
Finally, this RINO supports the Constitution.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I think with Romney on board as he appears to be, it's MUCH more likely to be Barrett. Barrett is a bit of a religious nut, Romney is a Mormon which inherently makes him a religious nut. She's likely the pick he'd support.
What happened to Romney?

I wonder what they promised him.

i do think they should go with Barrett now. Several other justices are likely to retire soon. Bryer is in his late 80s as well.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
What happened to Romney?

I wonder what they promised him.

i do think they should go with Barrett now. Several other justices are likely to retire soon. Bryer is in his late 80s as well.
I think they just floated Barrett's name and he liked it. Religious types tend to stick together and maybe she was in his binder LOL

Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,730,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
We actually don't know that there wasn't support in the Senate. The Senate majority leader made the decision not to bring it to a vote. In fact, by doing so, he shielded Republican Senators who would have had to answer to their constituents voting one way or the other - doesn't that sound like McConnel subverted the will of the people?
Like I've said before this will bite Republicans in the rear when Dems take the senate next year. They will start ramming through nominees to the court without Republicans having a say at all and it will be marvelous.

Thomas and Bryer might be retiring during Bidens term so the Dems should play it crooked like Republicans. I still think they should stack the court but seems Feinstein has some opposition to it.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:47 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
As others have pointed out, the bottleneck here is the cloture vote. If Romney votes yes on cloture, that all but seals the deal that this nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the US Senate.

For the final vote, presumably no Republican will vote against the nominee, unless something egreggiously disqualifying is disclosed. A few might abstain for political reasons, but on the final vote, the Republicans only need 47 votes to guarantee a tie, which which would then be broken by Vice President Mike Pence. Unless Joe Manchin votes yes, as he probably will, in which case they only need 46.

Romney supporting cloture all but clinches the confirmation of this nominee - regardless of which one of these ladies is chosen.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Like I've said before this will bite Republicans in the rear when Dems take the senate next year. They will start ramming through nominees to the court without Republicans having a say at all and it will be marvelous.
You act as if that wouldn't be the case if they took back the Senate and White House anyway.

Look at the nut jobs Obama put in the SCOTUS, do you think Republicans had a say in that? LOL

As to the voters, it'll be close and I think it'll come down to who is most effective at voter fraud. I currently have the Senate looking 50-50 next year but that could change after the debates if Biden looks especially like himself those nights.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Quote:
If the Senate supported the pick, they'd have moved forward with it. They chose instead not to waste time on a non-starter.

The argument last time was between Democrats saying "YOU HAVE TO MOVE FORWARD WITH A VOTE" and the Republicans saying "No, we really don't have to if we don't want to, and we think our constituents would prefer we not"......and the Republicans were right and were rewarded by voters for that stance.

Today the argument is between Democrats saying "YOU CAN'T MOVE FORWARD WITH A VOTE" and the Republicans saying "Well, yeah we really can, and that's what we were voted into office to do"

The hypocrisy is by Democrats who are taking an opposite stance today than they did 4 years ago. The Republicans are merely arguing that the choice is theirs, it was then, it is now.

We'll see how voters react, but it doesn't really matter in the short term, the Republicans control the White House and Senate, it's completely their choice....it's what they ran on, it's what the voters put them in office to do.

No, the senate did not have a chance to support or not support the pick. The Republican party made a strategic decision to let the blame fall on McConnell instead of giving voters the ability to voice their opinion on their elected senator's decision. That is a subversion of democracy.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,730,079 times
Quote:
You act as if that wouldn't be the case if they took back the Senate and White House anyway.

Look at the nut jobs Obama put in the SCOTUS, do you think Republicans had a say in that? LOL

As to the voters, it'll be close and I think it'll come down to who is most effective at voter fraud. I currently have the Senate looking 50-50 next year but that could change after the debates if Biden looks especially like himself those nights.
Maybe Maybe not but it will be good knowing even if Trump wins the Dems will block any nominee he puts up on the court or if Biden wins they will stack the court without a word from crooked Repubs.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I will believe Romney when I see HOW he actually votes. Having a vote and saying how you will vote are two different things.
Agreed. Mittens flip flops more than most. More than Obama or Bush did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies