Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:25 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
however, when ever a Republican President nominated a SCJ, the Democrats in the Senate voted lock step against the selection.
Not true. That really only happened with Thomas and Bork.

Most R nominations got some D support in years past.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/n...789present.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:26 AM

13,605 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Well, I'm just telling you about the consequences of it, feel free to ignore the warning just like you guys did when Republicans told you what would happen if the filibuster was ditched to confirm judges.

Any move to stack the court will not end well for Democrats....but if that's the game they want to play, their terms are acceptable as the meme goes.

It would be a call for civil war and the start of helicopter rides.

If Democrats are sane, and that's no guarantee, they just take the L and work towards leading within the confines of the Constitution if they happen to take power. The other options will end in a LOT of bloodshed and the destruction of the entire system.
Don't call me "you guys". I may be liberal, but I don't agree with everything the democrats do. I agree that ending the filibuster and the 60-vote requirement for judges was a big mistake on the part of Harry Reid. And I would not be in favor of stacking the Court. I'm just pointing out that it would be "within the confines of the Constitution", as you say.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:28 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
No, he certainly wouldn't have been, a hearing would have just provided the Democrats with a platform to grandstand leading up to an election and given Garland had very little support in the Senate and no chance of confirmation, there was no reason to give them that platform.
Now your just making stuff up, there is no reason to believe that he wouldn't be confirmed and that's why he wasn't even allowed to get out of committee. If that were true they could have avoided all this by just holding a vote, they didn't want to do that because he would likely be confirmed so they came up with some outlandish reason.

I'm betting the wealthy donors and lobbyists got in touch and threatened them when Scalia passed, Garland was too moderate to make the Federalist List.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:28 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
So if democrats win all 3 ,cant they stack the court with 3 more justices.
In theory, sure, but it would lead to the collapse of the entire system and all out civil war where many of those members of congress would end up dead as a result....probably best to not go there.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Her seat was the last Supreme Court seat prize for probably another 20 years (unless someone retires).

With the way Democrats have been acting, this 6-3 Supreme Court may be the last firewall against whatever nonsense "reformation of the country" that Democrats have planned as they amplify the voices of the Ilhan Omars, AOCs and Rashida Tlaibs of their party.
Clarence Thomas has supposedly been pondering retirement. Possibly Alito. And Stephen Breyer is 81.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:31 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Don't call me "you guys". I may be liberal, but I don't agree with everything the democrats do. I agree that ending the filibuster and the 60-vote requirement for judges was a big mistake on the part of Harry Reid. And I would not be in favor of stacking the Court. I'm just pointing out that it would be "within the confines of the Constitution", as you say.
Fair enough, I'm just pointing out that it would be a bridge too far. It would be outright corruption similar to if Trump declared martial law and used loyal military members to keep him in power and cancel elections.

Technically that could be done, but doing so would be declaring war on the country. Democrats stacking the SCOTUS would be the same.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:32 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Note, this may very well be what saves Romney from defeat when he is next up for election.
I surely wouldn't want to be Mitt Romney facing my constituents in Utah trying to explain why he gummed up the works, allowing a Far Left radically pro-abortion justice onto the Supreme Court. He might as well resign now if he pulls that stunt.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:34 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not true. That really only happened with Thomas and Bork.

Most R nominations got some D support in years past.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/n...789present.htm
First, I said in the last few decades and you omitted that from your quote. Your linked chart does not provide D vs R votes, only those that voted yea or nay. So it is hard to say how much D support there was without further investigation.

When I say Lock Step I mean all but a few Dems voted no. Those voting yes were usually Dems in a state that may lean a little right and were facing re-election. Manchin, D WV comes to mind as an example.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:35 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Clarence Thomas has supposedly been pondering retirement. Possibly Alito. And Stephen Breyer is 81.
Thomas has stated that such rumors were untrue, though I can't speak to Alito. As far as I'm concerned, neither will be inclined to retire under a Dem president, but we'll see!

Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
Quote:
In theory, sure, but it would lead to the collapse of the entire system and all out civil war where many of those members of congress would end up dead as a result....probably best to not go there.
you have a fantasy and obsession over civil wars and deaths...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies