Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 12:15 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would never live anywhere but New England. The history, heritage, it's all around you. Beautiful beaches, winter is okay especially if you partake in outdoor activities like skiing. It's peaceful here and we don't support riots and looting. We have small towns and vast suburban areas and a few big cities like Boston.

Boston is flourishing and the only problem is that it's such a wonderful place that home prices are skyrocketing. But the entire area in that part of the state is very desirable, lots of interesting jobs, things to do, museums in Boston are amazing and their suburbs are beautiful and clean.

I'd like to visit the PNW just to experience the climate which sounds pretty good. But New England has the history and charm and character. I like the way our governors have treated this pandemic because they've gone along with what people wanted--we want to be free of this virus and we're more than willing to wear masks and to social distance. The states are opening up slowly and we are aware of the plan and how it works. We don't feel left out or confused. Our Republican and Democratic governors are doing well for us. It will always be New England for me--now people are fleeing NYC and coming to the part of CT that is near NYC. Good. They are rich and can pay taxes. CT is the third most state that people want to come to, to live near forests and rivers and ocean, and yet to be close enough to NYC that they can work there.
100% agree I do find the red states have better roads and are altogether cleaner. That may be due to NE being older and the winters do a number. The more we think about moving the more I am convinced here is where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 12:32 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
100% agree I do find the red states have better roads and are altogether cleaner. That may be due to NE being older and the winters do a number. The more we think about moving the more I am convinced here is where it is.
Then you never been to the red state I live in, trash along the highways is a major issue here, and the roads suck in many places. Roads were damaged pretty bad from the 1000 year flood of 2015, and flooding from other costal storms.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
I wouldn't mind living in a rural area of a blue state if they weren't so freaking expensive.

I'm originally from upstate NY.

Beautiful country side, great food, nice people.

Ungodly taxes and crappy economy.

I recently went to California to visit relatives.

LA is a gigantic, dirty crap hole.

But once you get away from the large metropolitan areas, get North into the Wine Country and up the Pacific Coast highway......it's some of the most breathtakingly beautiful areas of the entire country.

But I could never afford to live there or put up with the insane laws and government.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Virginia sounds like your kind of place.

Move to Southern Virginia.....even the cities are largely red.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:25 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
I live in a rural red area and will stay there.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
The amount of people -still- moving from blue NY/NJ to my red state of NC speaks for itself.

Yes, so many that it started to effect the makeup of the local politics.

I moved from upstate NY to Charlotte back in the 90's.

It got bluer and bluer the longer I was there.

Finally left a few years ago, not so much because of the politics but because Charlotte was getting so big that I really didn't like it anymore.

I'm a country boy at heart.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:36 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
I think good roads has more to do with how affluent an area is than how people vote. (And, also, how competent a state's Department of Transportation is.)

Old 10-11-2020, 02:40 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I prefer a gridlock state like Wisconsin. Despite all the bickering its the best of both worlds. The lefties don't take their welfare state and entitlement mentality and overpaying of public employees and lavish pensions and micromanagement of everything to rediculous levels but we still get nice roads, parks, services, guns, etc.

I love the area from mequon north through green bay. I don't live in Wisconsin (most of my relatives do) but enjoy my visit.

Extreme left and right types are both idiots...I prefer neither have much power. The left have too much power in the media and it's obnoxious ... The right would likely be obnoxious if they had that much clout. Sorry I offended 80% of you. . Whenever groups of like minded people get too much power they get obnoxious. It's human nature...thus all the checks and balances we have.
I completely agree with ALL of this. After living in the Denver area and SoCal for a combined total of about 55 years, living a rural but mostly affluent part of Wisconsin is like heaven to me!

Old 10-11-2020, 02:42 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think good roads has more to do with how affluent an area is than how people vote. (And, also, how competent a state's Department of Transportation is.)
Agree. I live an area adjacent to a cluster of affluent towns and I have noticed the more affluent the better the roads and less traffic lights.

The poorer the communities the more traffic lights.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:44 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
I spent a couple weeks in LA and Long Beach on business trips last year. The roads are terrible, badly potholed, cracked, falling apart. And garbage everywhere (some of that of course comes from bums living on the streets of course). It's not the weather. And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with lack of money.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 10-11-2020 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies