Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 01:20 PM

227 posts, read 98,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'm so confused.

Halle Barry pulled out of movie where she was to play a transgender man because of backlash.

Cynthia Ervio received backlash for playing Harriet Tubman because she wasn't African American. (Emphasis on American.)

But it's quite okay for a black actress to play a white male character?

I need to go to woke school or something.
LOL. Give me a break.

007 isn't even based on a real person...let alone a white one.

007 is an idea. Any shade of skin can fill that role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 01:37 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkchamps View Post
LOL. Give me a break.

007 isn't even based on a real person...let alone a white one.

007 is an idea. Any shade of skin can fill that role.
Its based on the character by Ian Fleming and in the books 007 is specifically James Bond, a British male. Remember back in the day people didn't even want an American actor playing Bond.

I think the next James Bond should be Jason Statham, I know he has a working class vibe but he can do 007 pretty well.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:56 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Born Hammersmith, London, raised in the UK, went to college in the UK. How is she not British? Oh, you mean she's not WHITE.

She is of Jamaican heritage but again, born and raised in the UK. Oh, and Jamaica is not in Africa, incidentally.

I usually stay out of P&OC because things get pretty nuts here, but your remarks were just bizarre.
She is not ethnically British. She's ethnically African.

What lunacy and poison cultural Marxism is.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:23 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Yep. Nothing wrong with the idea of a female super-spy, Geena Davis did an excellent job doing so in "A Long Kiss Goodnight" in 1996, with Samuel L. Jackson supporting (more of a dual-lead role), one of my favorite movies. Interestingly, in the movie, they suggested the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing was CIA-backed, and the plot contained a 9-11 parallel, five years before it actually happened. Spooky Stuff, I don't remember anyone making the connection back then.

So anyway, why not make this movie about 008, maybe Bond's replacement in the British Secret Service? Because they want to put their thumb into the eye of anything white, anything male, anything Western-nostalgic. Well, they can count me out, I won't so much as watch the trailer for it. I would strongly suggest others do the same, if they feel that way.

Get Woke, Go Broke (one can only hope).

Old 11-28-2020, 06:52 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Again: she was born, raised, and educated in the UK. She IS of Jamiacan heritage (and you seemed to think that Jamaica was part of Africa ), but that doesn't make her any less British than anyone ELSE who was born and raised in the UK. So how on earth can you legitimately say that she's not British -- simply because she is not WHITE?

Quote:
What on earth does that even MEAN? Do you know ANYTHING about Marxism? I am not a Marxist myself but at least I understand his ideas. The idea that somehow calling a black British woman NOT BRITISH because of "cultural Marxism" is just, well, stupid, unless you can back it up with something -- which so far you have not done, as you appear to simply like to repeat the same phrases that mean nothing. (If you were one of my students, you would flunk, NOT because I don't agree with you, but because you are not making any sense at all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Yep. Nothing wrong with the idea of a female super-spy, Geena Davis did an excellent job doing so in "A Long Kiss Goodnight" in 1996, with Samuel L. Jackson supporting (more of a dual-lead role), one of my favorite movies. Interestingly, in the movie, they suggested the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing was CIA-backed, and the plot contained a 9-11 parallel, five years before it actually happened. Spooky Stuff, I don't remember anyone making the connection back then.

So anyway, why not make this movie about 008, maybe Bond's replacement in the British Secret Service? Because they want to put their thumb into the eye of anything white, anything male, anything Western-nostalgic. Well, they can count me out, I won't so much as watch the trailer for it. I would strongly suggest others do the same, if they feel that way.

Get Woke, Go Broke (one can only hope).
I guess you didn't realize that you were quoting a poster who apparently believes that a British woman CANNOT really be British because she is also black. What an idea.

And OK, just DON'T WATCH THE FILM. I mean, seriously, people, this is not really hard to understand.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:15 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Born Hammersmith, London, raised in the UK, went to college in the UK. How is she not British? Oh, you mean she's not WHITE.

She is of Jamaican heritage but again, born and raised in the UK. Oh, and Jamaica is not in Africa, incidentally.

I usually stay out of P&OC because things get pretty nuts here, but your remarks were just bizarre.
Quote:
Again: she was born, raised, and educated in the UK. She IS of Jamiacan heritage (and you seemed to think that Jamaica was part of Africa ), but that doesn't make her any less British than anyone ELSE who was born and raised in the UK. So how on earth can you legitimately say that she's not British -- simply because she is not WHITE?

What on earth does that even MEAN? Do you know ANYTHING about Marxism? I am not a Marxist myself but at least I understand his ideas. The idea that somehow calling a black British woman NOT BRITISH because of "cultural Marxism" is just, well, stupid, unless you can back it up with something -- which so far you have not done, as you appear to simply like to repeat the same phrases that mean nothing. (If you were one of my students, you would flunk, NOT because I don't agree with you, but because you are not making any sense at all.)

I guess you didn't realize that you were quoting a poster who apparently believes that a British woman CANNOT really be British because she is also black. What an idea.

And OK, just DON'T WATCH THE FILM. I mean, seriously, people, this is not really hard to understand.

You apparently don't understand the concept of *ethnicity*. Jamaicans, like black Americans and Brazilians and the like, are of AFRICAN ancestry. She hasn't a smidge of British BLOOD. This isn't at all complicated.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:28 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:

That's not "cultural Marxism."
That's err.... an AMERICAN concept, applied to the Old World ( Britain in this case.)

Old 11-28-2020, 07:32 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
I haven't watched a Bond movie in years. I didn't care for the guy that replaced Pierce Brosnan. I dont care who they cast, Im not likely to watch anyway. My tastes in movies has changed. I like story over special effects.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:23 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
You apparently don't understand the concept of *ethnicity*. Jamaicans, like black Americans and Brazilians and the like, are of AFRICAN ancestry. She hasn't a smidge of British BLOOD. This isn't at all complicated.
You said she wasn't BRITISH. This isn't at all complicated. Gee, I think the UK considers her BRITISH, whether you do or not in your racist ramblings. Do you really not understand how idiotic you sound?!! A woman born and raised in Britain is NOT "British" TO YOU because she is the "wrong" race. (And why didn't you just come out and put it like that at the start?)

And of course you still never answered my question about "cultural Marxism," probably because you have never read a word written by Marx in your life.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:29 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,819 times
Quote:
Hardy was brilliant in the Revenant.
That was one of the best films I ever watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies