Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 11:33 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

And by the way, Santa Claus is white. His legend originated with St. Nick in the Netherlands, not in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 11:55 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How 'woke' of them to choose her.

Certainly I don't have issues with female or black actresses, but why do they have to keep doing these annoying things where they mess around with the original source material? I have zero desire to see a female actress as James Bond 007.

And 'revolutionary?' Right.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...sm-007-casting

Women of the Year: Lashana Lynch on making history as the first Black female 007
Were you against the appointment of Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State and National Security Advisor by Bush?

Old 11-08-2020, 12:30 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
If it makes money, fine. But if it bombs of course the star will claim sexism. Remember a few years ago Charlie’s angels reboot director Elizabeth Banks blamed the movies low box office revenues on sexism. She said men don’t want to see movies where women are in charge. Of course she fails to mention Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman that brought in close to a billion each. Maybe men and women hate crappy movies?

Old 11-08-2020, 12:30 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
People are such snowflakes. Seriously, why gives a frack? It's just a movie. If people don't like the story don't go see it. Problem solved.

How liberal minded of you.

Why not try looking at this from a different perspective.

Lets say your favorite show growing up was the Cosby Show, which portrayed a middle class black family in a very positive light, living the American dream.
But then someone decided to remake the series, but with a white lesbian instead. Not only does the left love to scream nonsense like "cultural appropriation" (which I have not yet heard about a potential black woman playing a British male role), but you personally might not like how Mr. Cosby (a beloved figure) is no longer a black male MD with a family.

The same would be true of fans of "Wonder Woman", if she was changed into a black male transsexual like RuPaul.
So if the Hollywood leftists want to make a series staring RuPaul, why not call it "Wonder Tranny" and see how will it will fly on it's own. That, rather than ruining an iconic female figure many fans love.

It is no different when it comes to an iconic masculine figure like 007 for most people. All the guys fantasized about living the lifestyle of being an international hero who vanquishes the bad guy, yet who is sophisticated, and gets to have lustful sex with a multitude of incredible beautiful women as part of his job.

So why ruin that iconic figure and likely destroy the franchise?

`

Old 11-08-2020, 12:34 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Were you against the appointment of Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State and National Security Advisor by Bush?
Only if she is casted in the documentary to play former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:35 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Instead of tampering and going WOKE with a icon like James Bond character, why not write a new script for a new movie with a new franchise for a super woman type hero?

Worked well with Lara Croft right?

Old 11-08-2020, 01:15 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
No one is against condoleezza rice, or women in general, just don’t make a woman 007, they could come up with a spy movie starring a woman spy, just not 007. Personally I love dashing British men.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:20 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
These efforts to fill a well-defined masculine fantasy role with a female actress rarely succeed. They'd be better off franchising a movie like Atomic Blonde.
Some do, depends. Angela Jolie did alright but really who cares, why is this a big deal on the political page when it should be on IMDB.

Also Charlize Theron in Road Warrior and Atomic Blonde and others.

007 was never the same since Sean Connery.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:25 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There's always the incomparable Helen Mirren in 'Red".

There is a growing market for movies about kick-ass women. Furiosa comes to mind. 'Fury Road' was a blockbuster.

I don't find it surprising at all that a movie producer might try to work such a woman into the James Bond franchise. Why not?
Give her a different number

Old 11-08-2020, 04:28 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I probably won't swear off the Bond series because of this, but I most definitely would have preferred that 007 had remained male.

The entire premise of the 007 character created by Ian Fleming is a delicate balance between male machismo, class, and virility.

It's just weird that they're forcing the envelope so hard by making the character female. (A spin-off series would have been better.)

BTW it would have been totally cool to have a black male play 007/James Bond. There are plenty of black dudes who are very English in accent, style and demeanour.

Idris Elba would have been good, but I thought Colin Salmon (who had a secondary role in at least one Bond film) really had the look of Bond. Look him up.
Personally, I wouldn’t want a black male Bond either. There are plenty of new characters that you could create and have a black actor play them, but I think 007 should be kept as he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies