Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 08:38 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

To reply to some posts saying they might go back on their decision, or make this 007 short-lived, I highly doubt that.

Can you imagine the outcry about "caving in to racism and sexism" if ever that happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 08:52 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Since it's not an actual historical figure that they are running roughshod over (Disney's expertise) then fine\whatever.

That being said, they better get it right and Daniel Craig is one of the best Bonds ever so he's going to be tough to follow.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:55 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To reply to some posts saying they might go back on their decision, or make this 007 short-lived, I highly doubt that.

Can you imagine the outcry about "caving in to racism and sexism" if ever that happened?
Hollywood is very liberal and donates a lot of money to (D). As such, they have some degree of insulation from such criticism.

If the film doesn't make money. They'll reboot and recast.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
I won't be watching it... Not because I'm racist or sexist I just choose to not watching SJW pandering pieces... Like the ghost busters remake or the remake of karate kid. Meh just meh when it comes to hollywood and their hot garbage recycling techniques.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:13 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
SJWs are just lazy, uncreative, and unimaginative. It's why they piggyback off of the success of established characters and franchises rather than creating their own. Changing James Bond into a black woman is just tokenizing a character. If they wanted a black female spy then they should create their own original character. Blade, Spawn, Black Panther, Storm, and Brother Voodoo are all black and are all original characters. Their creators didn't need to change existing characters. Sjws like to ignore the fact that it's not female or minority characters that people have a problem with. It's changing established characters that people have a problem with.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:17 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Speaking of Felix Leiter, remember that he was originally a white character in the older films but in the Daniel Craig films they made him black? Maybe for diversity purposes?
Probably for wasn't he also black in Never Say Never Again?

On the other hand, that could just be a function of the CIA.

James Bond: Harold Stutter, CIA, where were you when I didn't need you?
Harold Strutter: Quite obvious you weren't getting out front, not even with that clever disguise you're wearing.
James Bond: Huh?
Harold Strutter: White face in Harlem. Good thinkin' Bond. Let's get outta here.(from IMDB, from Live and Let Die)

So it could either way. That is one thing about the movies in that there may be sufficient, believable reason to do something and further, in a spy movie, one must remember that things don't have to be as black and white as they are in reality.

I have heard people call FOUL with You Only Live Twice when 007 asks "Tiger", head of Japanese SI, to translate paper of Japanese writing stolen from a safe. Why should a man who took a first in oriental languages need to ask someone to translate it for him?

HELLO, it is a spy movie. There are many possible reasons. Bond already knows what is on the paper but he may be asking Tiger to translate to find out if he can trust him or not. Tiger is his host and Bond is being diplomatic by allowing his host to do things for him. Bond may be employing local knowledge that his university training would not reveal. There may be other possibilities.

Hence, especially for a spy flick, there are things that may be believable, that may be accurate in a political view point, that movie audiences may not appreciate. I saw a FOUL the other day about LaLD when someone said that as CIA, Leiter should use the NATO phonetic alphabet and not the "Nelson David George" he called out. HELLO, it's a spy movie; you want a CIA agent to be in the habit of using things that say he is part of the western alliance?

Old 11-08-2020, 09:18 PM

193 posts, read 60,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Speaking of Felix Leiter, remember that he was originally a white character in the older films but in the Daniel Craig films they made him black? Maybe for diversity purposes?

There was no hubub when Wright was cast. He was...is...the right actor for that part. I feel the same way with him as Commissioner Gordon. He brings an air of reserved competence to characters who nonetheless recognize when they are out of their depth. (See also: West World.)

Old 11-08-2020, 09:29 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The problem is Hollywood's lack of originality (I include the British film industry).

Milking a franchise to pander to new audiences is beside the points. If you want an African American lead write up a new character and world, turn it into a successful franchise.

Don't rest on laurels of the past, elsewise you say minorities can only be successful off the backs of a white male dominated series.

Create new content please, stop rehashing old stuff.

Unless..

Unless the whole idea behind it all is really not to "be successful," but to target and destroy the old symbols.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Unless..

Unless the whole idea behind it all is really not to "be successful," but to target and destroy the old symbols.
Ah! I love it.....a possible plot about spy movies! Fact is stranger than fiction indeed.

Well, as I said, it depends on the viewer, doesn't it? To many, Daniel Craig is the best 007 ever.....to me, I wouldn't give him the time of day for his French look is much too harsh to see him as handsome.....and 007 is suppose to be a lady killer.

So between the leading man not being that and that they took the mature suaveness out of the movie years ago, I haven't watched a modern 007 movie in about 15 years.

Now for that plot to actually work, what they need to do is go back destroy all the copies of the older movies for otherwise, those symbols are still there.........not that I wouldn't put it past "them".

Old 11-08-2020, 10:28 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ah! I love it.....a possible plot about spy movies! Fact is stranger than fiction indeed.

Well, as I said, it depends on the viewer, doesn't it? To many, Daniel Craig is the best 007 ever.....to me, I wouldn't give him the time of day for his French look is much too harsh to see him as handsome.....and 007 is suppose to be a lady killer.

So between the leading man not being that and that they took the mature suaveness out of the movie years ago, I haven't watched a modern 007 movie in about 15 years.

Now for that plot to actually work, what they need to do is go back destroy all the copies of the older movies for otherwise, those symbols are still there.........not that I wouldn't put it past "them".

My personal preference was Roger Moore, even for a fact that he was as *abstract* as James Bond himself, thus transcending the subtle British humor.
But Daniel Craig would do after him too I suppose, although he is different of course.

At least he doesn't come across as cheesy as many contemporary actors now.
I think that's why they are running out of "acting material" for this particular role to be honest)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies