Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 09:18 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

Let’s ask Messiah-Biden what he thinks.

Surely he would be open to Martin Luther King being played by Tom Hanks and Harriet Tubman being played by Angelina Jolie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 09:28 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I will also keep watching anyway, but it's a huge stretch to call 007 a peripheral recurring character, or at least to place tinkering with 007 on the same level as with other secondary characters. I am not saying it will, but if anything could potentially sink the franchise, tinkering with 007's persona is probably it.
BOND is not peripheral. Giving someone else the '007' badge because Bond retires means nothing. It's no different from what happens with football jerseys when a player retires.

Quote:
Moneypenny has also been taken on by a (drop-dead gorgeous IMO) black actress in recent films, and no one seems to care.

But how about if Moneypenny was played by a guy, and 007 remained male, and the heterosexual innuendoes between the two became homosexual innuendoes?
It would be fine with me. I'd be interested to see how they pulled it off.

Because - everyone, take a very deep breath, and sit down - Bond is FICTION!!!! YES!!!!!! And ESCAPIST FICTION too!!!! It is not, nor has it ever been, intended to cause you to think or to bear any resemblance whatever to the real world!!!! It's meant to entertain you (and cause you to buy popcorn and soda) for a couple hours. And that's it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-09-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 09:41 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
In two of the books, there are female 00 agents. Nothing in the source material says the 007 title must be male.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:43 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
In two of the books, there are female 00 agents. Nothing in the source material says the 007 title must be male.

Really? Which books?

Old 11-09-2020, 09:47 AM

26,784 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Fine rant. But they are not changing James Bond into a woman. They are giving the '007' badge to a black woman because Bond is retiring.

Nice attempt to morph big issues into non-issue.

Quote:
You know, the same as they give jersey numbers to new players when the person who used to wear it retires.

Sure, like they casually pass the jersey numbers to the next woman that comes to play football.

Whom are you trying to brainwash here?

Some of us know better.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Nice attempt to morph big issues into non-issue.

Sure, like they casually pass the jersey numbers to the next woman that comes to play football.

Whom are you trying to brainwash here?

Some of us know better.
Shrug.

If you seriously think that anything about the Bond franchise is a big social issue, well....

Old 11-09-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I think it also depends on the era in which a film is set.

A black Englishman as James Bond in a film set 50 or 60 years ago wouldn't have made much sense to people. (Even if there were some black people in the UK at the time.)

But today, as I've said, a black Englishman as 007 doesn't seem implausible.

Except for my question is why exactly does he need to be Black all of a sudden?
The way I see it - the original character was the ultimate sex symbol for the Europeans (because James Bond hails originally from Europe, not even the US, and thus it was targeting primarily women in EUROPE.

America had its own version of James Bond - don't remember what it's being called, but that's the reason why Pierce Brosnan couldn't get out of his contract playing that character to play James Bond ( or something like that.)
So my question is now, why would they want to make this particular ( and original for Europeans) *sex symbol* a Black man ( leave alone Black woman)?

As I've said - it's all oh so Freudian)))

Old 11-09-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Shrug.

If you seriously think that anything about the Bond franchise is a big social issue, well....

It's not about the "franchise," really - it's about targeting the cultural iconic figures.

That's the way I see it.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:15 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
She's not a revolutionary, no matter how much she would like to believe she is. She's just a product of bad lazy writers trying to tokenize established characters because they're too incompetent to create their own. If having diversity in fiction is actually important to these people then they wouldn't turn 007 into a black woman. They would create a separate original spy character who happens to be a black woman. Turning an established white male character into x minority or female says that women and minorities are too inferior to have their own characters. By the standards of the diversity crowd, Lashana Lynch should reject the role because taking it would be saying white men are superior to everyone else.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:18 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
She's not a revolutionary, no matter how much she would like to believe she is. She's just a product of bad lazy writers trying to tokenize established characters because they're too incompetent to create their own. If having diversity in fiction is actually important to these people then they wouldn't turn 007 into a black woman. They would create a separate original spy character who happens to be a black woman. Turning an established white male character into x minority or female says that women and minorities are too inferior to have their own characters. By the standards of the diversity crowd, Lashana Lynch should reject the role because taking it would be saying white men are superior to everyone else.

But is the world ready for a reboot of The Spook Who Sat By The Door?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070726/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies