Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 06:39 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

She's not part of anything revolutionary. She's part of a publicity stunt leveraging her race and gender.

Also if she were less attractive or 15 lbs heavier they'd have picked someone else.

This isn't a Jesse Owens moment but well you know how full of themselves actresses are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not brainless at all, friend.

Just pointing out that changing (or adding) a peripheral recurring character has never sunk the franchise before, and won't sink it now.

BTW, I've been watching Bond movies since the first one, so that's over 50 years. I certainly have liked some of them better than others, just like everyone else - but I keep watching them anyway. So will most other real fans. Regardless of who is wearing the '007' badge.

Relax, they're only movies, and certainly not worth starting a name-calling fight.
I will also keep watching anyway, but it's a huge stretch to call 007 a peripheral recurring character, or at least to place tinkering with 007 on the same level as with other secondary characters. I am not saying it will, but if anything could potentially sink the franchise, tinkering with 007's persona is probably it.

Moneypenny has also been taken on by a (drop-dead gorgeous IMO) black actress in recent films, and no one seems to care.

But how about if Moneypenny was played by a guy, and 007 remained male, and the heterosexual innuendoes between the two became homosexual innuendoes?

Old 11-09-2020, 06:53 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I will also keep watching anyway, but it's a huge stretch to call 007 a peripheral recurring character, or at least to place tinkering with 007 on the same level as with other secondary characters. I am not saying it will, but if anything could potentially sink the franchise, tinkering with 007's persona is probably it.

Moneypenny has also been taken on by a (drop-dead gorgeous IMO) black actress in recent films, and no one seems to care.

But how about if Moneypenny was played by a guy, and 007 remained male, and the heterosexual innuendoes between the two became homosexual innuendoes?
I'm holding out for them to make James Bond Russian, transgender and a global warming scientist fighting werewolves with a crossbow and a car that turns into a robot. (Also maybe some side kicks with power rings so they can summon him)

It would still be truer to the novels of Ian Flemming (Based in part on his relative whom you've seen in many many movies who was part of the SAS during WW2) than a lot of the Disney movies based on real historical characters.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She's not part of anything revolutionary. She's part of a publicity stunt leveraging her race and gender.

Also if she were less attractive or 15 lbs heavier they'd have picked someone else.

This isn't a Jesse Owens moment but well you know how full of themselves actresses are.
Everyone has different tastes but I don't find her particularly attractive. In terms of features, she looks a lot like Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice, whom I don't find especially attractive to my taste either.

Now if we're talking about Naomie Harris (the new Moneypenny), that's another story!

Old 11-09-2020, 07:37 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
First true civil discussion on CityData in a LONG time

Old 11-09-2020, 07:46 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
I just wonder this: why does a traditionally British character have to become a black character? The United Kingdom is 3% black people. Demands that the majority of characters in American movies/tv shows be black people when the U.S. is only 13% black are strange enough, but this really seems senseless.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I just wonder this: why does a traditionally British character have to become a black character? The United Kingdom is 3% black people. Demands that the majority of characters in American movies/tv shows be black people when the U.S. is only 13% black are strange enough, but this really seems senseless.

Hence, "one of the reasons" why those brilliant disguises may be a CIA trick but not an MI-6 trick. Hands across the ocean may not work in all things. In history, we certainly weren't too friendly with our atomic secrets after WWII. In story line, there may be a need for those brilliant disguises for the CIA, for the Americans........but the Brits just may not be interested........

..............even if there are those like Quarrel, Charles Robinson, Quarrel Jr., Sharky, Pinder, etc..

Old 11-09-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I hope not.

( Just thought of the old Soviet joke;

"- They trained me to be a perfect spy in Russia - I learned how to speak Russian with no accent, I learned to like Russian food, to wear Russian clothes, to smoke Russian cigarettes. I learned the geography of the region before they dropped me off the plane here with my parachute.

But you still caught me.
How did you figure out that I was a spy?"

Some dude from a remote Russian village that caught him;
- Except for you are Black.

That's how we figured out that you were not local."

Russians were always playing big part of Bond's enemies, so...

P.S. With that being said, I wouldn't want to see Dr. Huxtable being played by anyone else but.

And "Trading places" would have been ruined if E. Murphy would have been replaced.

Some icons are better left untouched.

But that's just me.
I think it also depends on the era in which a film is set.

A black Englishman as James Bond in a film set 50 or 60 years ago wouldn't have made much sense to people. (Even if there were some black people in the UK at the time.)

But today, as I've said, a black Englishman as 007 doesn't seem implausible.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:14 AM

1,301 posts, read 666,536 times
In reality, women are often used by intelligence agencies as honeypots (basically promiscuous women who collect or steal intel from the men they sleep with), not as field agents that do the type of work that a James Bond does. Of course this reality will not make into film these days because its "sexist".

Old 11-09-2020, 09:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
In reality, women are often used by intelligence agencies as honeypots (basically promiscuous women who collect or steal intel from the men they sleep with), not as field agents that do the type of work that a James Bond does. Of course this reality will not make into film these days because its "sexist".
But, you must remember................

..................................."some of the best KGB snipers are women.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies