Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 07:56 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
SO deaths due to Covid only occurred in states with democratic governors, this was a nationwide issue try to take off your partisan glasses as 100,000 have died in nursing homes nationwide.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/27/93953...-findings-show
Perhaps it was deaths reported as due to Covid occurring in states with Dem governors that is the issue?

My SIL lives in a heavily Dem state, and works in a small, rural hospital. According to her, all deaths recorded at their hospital have been attributed to Covid, with no tests run to confirm. According to her, it's because they get more money for a Covid death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Exactly, a 'cause of death' shift. Many were goners anyway, a few months, a couple of years, but their health had deteriorated to a point that it was simply a matter of when, not if. Not being heartless or cruel, there is a reason for the phrase life cycle. Gestation, birth and death, all part of the life cycle. I will not be surprised that the actual cost of end of life is comparable across 'causes of death', either.
I've been saying this for quite some time. How many of the deceased would have died regardless in the past 8 months? I have an uncle who was in his 90's that passed a few months ago, but did not have the virus. It was just his time.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:59 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I don't recall our ICU full of relatively young people on ECMO or requiring artificial ventilation like I am seeing from COVID.
Could be you didnt have cause to make it up back then.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I don't recall our ICU full of relatively young people on ECMO or requiring artificial ventilation like I am seeing from COVID.
Where did you "see" this? Personally? On the news? Heard from a friend?

Old 11-29-2020, 08:06 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Anecdotal but interesting. We all heard the stories about how Thanksgiving get togethers were going to be super spreader events. Never mind the stores were open for Black Friday and nobody was limiting the number of customers going in( at least not in PA). Covid cases were hitting records. So I did some house cleaning Tuesday and ran some errands and took a nap for a few hours around noon time. I woke up and felt like my nose was running and my sinuses hurt. It continued that day and the night and the next day. Nose was running, sneezing, sinuses hurt and by Thursday AM I had a low grade fever that topped out at 99.5. The thing is, my relatives arrived Wednesday and I noticed they had the same exact symptoms our family( all three of us) already had. Sneezing, runny nose, some coughing or more like clearing of the throat. Something was going around, I'm not sure what but we all seemed to get it at the same time in different areas of the state.
So I did my temp check before work Thursday night and my temp was back down to normal. By Friday I felt fine, yesterday ( Saturday) not even a lingering trace of it. Today I feel fine. Everybody's okay. So what was this? I had similar symptoms a week prior. A runny nose that lasted a day. I never sought medical attention. I know I had Covid back in early April. Was this just some other bug going around, a particularly contagious but extremely mild one? An allergy due to weather conditions? Or was it Covid that my and my family's antibodies made very short work of? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some biological agent wasn't released, even Covid itself by those wanting to keep the pandemic fear going.
It makes me slightly wonder if a person can actually get Covid twice, but I'm now more convinced than ever that resistance to it is lasting and that makes the need for a vaccine seem less important. If this bug is still around and we're
constantly being exposed and our antibodies nullify it immediately, that's the same as getitng a vaccine.
No vaccine for me.
Natural immunity from a significant Covid 19 infection most likely gives you substantial immunity for a year. Of course not yet proven or set in stone. But in the whole world of millions of documented Covid 19 infections over the past year, there have been very few documented reinfections. Antibodies last for 4-6 months and then our T cell immunity must take over. Very optimistically there may be permanent immunity for all we know, and the vaccines may be necessary for a short time. Not yearly with the Influenza vaccine as generally predicted.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I've been saying this for quite some time. How many of the deceased would have died regardless in the past 8 months? I have an uncle who was in his 90's that passed a few months ago, but did not have the virus. It was just his time.
Of course very heard to say. About 1/3 of excess deaths in this time frame were non-Covid :

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2771761

Old 11-29-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it was deaths reported as due to Covid occurring in states with Dem governors that is the issue?

My SIL lives in a heavily Dem state, and works in a small, rural hospital. According to her, all deaths recorded at their hospital have been attributed to Covid, with no tests run to confirm. According to her, it's because they get more money for a Covid death.
If true, it would be very unlikely that Medicare does not discover the fraud, and the financial repercussions could easily close the facility. The hospitals get more Medicare money for caring for Covid cases, not deaths. So the attending docs will be on the line for fraud as well, as they are the ones signing the charts with the death diagnoses. And they get no extra financial reward for Covid.

IMO the post by ringwise is mostly likely bunk.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In most years about 8k people die a month from all causes which is around 100k total. This year is much higher. Many of the people had many years ahead of them.
Yes. People think most who died were in their deathbed awaiting the touch of death. They weren't unless they had stage 4 cancer and covid (i think this hasn't been the case at all.) Most had a comorbidity time bomb and covid cut the wrong cord way too soon.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:09 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
And a lot of that was in April and May when all these democratic governors threw the sick back in the nursing homes and spiked the numbers. After that the normal death rate is only slightly higher.
Without looking at the numbers, that could well be true. What must be factored in, however, is the economic and personal cost of keeping that death rate down. The business restrictions and school closures and the many who are living very limited lives. If not for those interventions the death rate would be higher.

And with the now rising numbers, nursing homes are again experiencing more outbreaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Exactly, a 'cause of death' shift. Many were goners anyway, a few months, a couple of years, but their health had deteriorated to a point that it was simply a matter of when, not if. Not being heartless or cruel, there is a reason for the phrase life cycle. Gestation, birth and death, all part of the life cycle. I will not be surprised that the actual cost of end of life is comparable across 'causes of death', either.
The impact of covid on a society and an economy extend beyond the mortality statistics.

Quote:
Mathematically some, of course, would over an annual period. What that number is becomes hypothetical since it would be difficult to project the total number of deaths from covid if the disease ran rampant. Then backdoor that figure into expected mortality from other causes.

Another variable to estimate: Overwhelm the hospitals within a concentrated point in time, then almost certainly deaths from all causes will be higher than they otherwise would be.

Last edited by EveryLady; 11-29-2020 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-29-2020, 09:11 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Could be you didnt have cause to make it up back then.
^^^ Hopeless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies