Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 08:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

it's not any paper that "Johns Hopkins University" put out. It was posted by a math/econ/stats peerson to a JHU website.

for all the "Covid is overblown" folks, it's just confirmation bias. So few people looked at WHAT was being reported, just that they agreed with it and are happy to retweet it or otherwise blast it out on social media.

Footnotes in the CDC death count say - this can lag by 1-8 weeks as the reporting doctor/hospital/state submits th information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 09:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
John Hopkins Study....Covid... relatively no effect on deaths in the United States.
Amazing some people still take Gatewaypundit for gospel.

Mortality is up about 20% this year. There is already a thread about this with links to credible information.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

John Hopkins Study....Covid... relatively no effect on deaths in the United States.-screen-shot-2020-11-27-11.04.00

Old 11-27-2020, 09:01 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No. Johns Hopkins University did the study. They are considered an elite research university and were in fact the first university on Earth to spend more than $1 Billion in a single year on research.

You are arguing feelings and not facts.

2018 thus far at this point has had slightly more deaths than 2020 has. Many of the dead people from Covid had severe health issues and would have likely died from those severe health issues, which is why the university study points out some the severe conditions that normally kill people in bigger numbers are down.

Keep in mind that the lockdowns have also killed people.

So why wear a mask if you believe this nonsense. I work for the fire department, its real.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:05 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No doubt the families of 260,000 people would disagree.
they are taking regular deaths and labeling it CORONA.

wake up and smell the coffee. go check CDC numbers. COVID deaths is actually 30,000 or so not 260,000

mysteriously there are less pneumonia deaths, less cancer, deaths, less heart attacks, less regular flu.

WAKE THE HECK UP

Old 11-27-2020, 11:07 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
"When Briand looked at the 2020 data during that seasonal period, COVID-19-related deaths exceeded deaths from heart diseases. This was highly unusual since heart disease has always prevailed as the leading cause of deaths. However, when taking a closer look at the death numbers, she noted something strange. As Briand compared the number of deaths per cause during that period in 2020 to 2018, she noticed that instead of the expected drastic increase across all causes, there was a significant decrease in deaths due to heart disease. Even more surprising, as seen in the graph below, this sudden decline in deaths is observed for all other causes."
I have been trying to get accurate counts on other deaths, but it seems like the CDC is ignoring those. Not that I'm shocked. Already so far in fall of 2020 there are basically no flu cases, but everyone who gets sick si a Covid sickness, even though we have no clue what they are actually sick of.

So I've been watching other deaths for months and from what I've found heart disease (by far #1 death toll in US year after year) is down quite a bit this year. This is based on what I can find. Also, it seems like cancer deaths are down. So basically many of these deaths have been placed in the Covid column due to the fact that health officials decided to declare deaths differently in years past. It is why we can't compare flu numbers to covid numbers, they aren't calculated the same.

Overall deaths in the United States have been going up slightly year over year due to an older population. It would also explain why the average age of death of a "covid" patient is the same as the average lifespan in the U.S. It is also why younger people are having a similar death rate to the flu.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,461,627 times
Let's pretend, for the sake of humor, that the claim being made in the title was true.

Then I could just argue that the lockdowns, social distancing, WFH, and mask-wearing are working. The countermeasures are doing their jobs.

And what would your rebuttal be?

Old 11-27-2020, 11:13 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
they are taking regular deaths and labeling it CORONA.

wake up and smell the coffee. go check CDC numbers. COVID deaths is actually 30,000 or so not 260,000

mysteriously there are less pneumonia deaths, less cancer, deaths, less heart attacks, less regular flu.

WAKE THE HECK UP
Nobody seems to understand the implications of this. You mention it and it is summarily ignored.

One excuse I hear often is, "well, all these other deaths are down because we are protecting ourselves with the mighty mask."

Sure, a mask prevents cancer, heart attacks, kidney failure, etc, etc, etc. Got it. Uh-huh. It's even hypothesized by some to prevent car crashes.

It's amazing how far some people will go out of their way to claim two plus two is not four. It used to be that statisticians at least had to TRY to give the public a snow job. It's way too easy these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Let's pretend, for the sake of humor, that the claim being made in the title was true.

Then I could just argue that the lockdowns, social distancing, WFH, and mask-wearing are working. The countermeasures are doing their jobs.

And what would your rebuttal be?
Mine would be that some help, some do not significantly help. Some that do help cause harm in other ways that outweigh the benefits, as we will likely realize over the next few years.

Old 11-28-2020, 12:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I have been trying to get accurate counts on other deaths, but it seems like the CDC is ignoring those. Not that I'm shocked. Already so far in fall of 2020 there are basically no flu cases, but everyone who gets sick si a Covid sickness, even though we have no clue what they are actually sick of.

So I've been watching other deaths for months and from what I've found heart disease (by far #1 death toll in US year after year) is down quite a bit this year. This is based on what I can find. Also, it seems like cancer deaths are down. So basically many of these deaths have been placed in the Covid column due to the fact that health officials decided to declare deaths differently in years past. It is why we can't compare flu numbers to covid numbers, they aren't calculated the same.

Overall deaths in the United States have been going up slightly year over year due to an older population. It would also explain why the average age of death of a "covid" patient is the same as the average lifespan in the U.S. It is also why younger people are having a similar death rate to the flu.
This post is forgetting a few things conveniently. I think we are a little too early into "flu season" to really see what this year's flu is. Also the flu deaths are typically from "flu-like symptoms" since I don't think they test for the flu, just treat the symptoms. Also most of us don't go to the doctors for the flu unless it turns into pneumonia.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:48 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Death rates attributed to COVID-19 are a tiny fraction of total deaths. In addition, COVID-19 deaths overwhelmingly hit people with pre-existing conditions and who would have died anyway. So I am not surprised by this. However, if you look at studies of excess deaths by age, there is a COVID-19 signal among the elderly.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:33 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yeah, we know. There is identical thread in H&W section.
Thing is, our opinion on this does not matter.
John Hopkins research does not matter.
What matters is whatever media is bullhorning, as I type. Wag them in opposite direction and, by tomorrow afternoon, there will be no more pandemic. In 2 weeks, if wagged the right way, humanity will forget about pandemic, masks, distancing and such.
What is sad is that you have no idea that you've been conditioned over the years. Like a pedophile, Trump and cronies have conditioned you and then fondled you as they continue to do now. You poor things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies