Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Where did you "see" this? Personally? On the news? Heard from a friend?
Personally. Worst situation I have seen in over 30 years of doing anesthesia and critical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 09:56 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At this point, anyone dumb enough to expose themselves and others to the disease are on their own.

If you really want to be outraged, go look at whom the national news gives a free pass to and whom they don't for gathering together without masks etc. (google things like brooklyn sweet 16 and wedding just as 2 examples.)
I stumbled on this story in the mask sticky. A poster wrote about a hypothetical grandma saying the so-called JHU study proved it was false to say: not wearing a mask would kill grandma. That grandma dying would be from another cause, not covid. Truth - that word was used - was being suppressed.

The combined images of: let's not mask around or perhaps for grandma and the conspiracy imagery paired with the (to me) jumbled Briand analysis sucked me in. Once intrigued, taking a closer look at the Briand story was like putting together a puzzle - or, more precisely, taking apart the puzzle of her data.

Quote:
Regardless of political party, race, views on covid etc. young people are gathering nationwide and spreading the illness. Fake news around garbage like this are not influencing anyone that hasn't already made up their mind and are looking for confirmation of their bias.
I tend to agree that views have hardened to where we might see less responsiveness. For example, that many realizing covid could impact their parts of the country then responded quickly with changed behavior was no doubt a major factor in that sharp downward slope from the peak of the summer wave.

That "come to God" moment may have already been factored in, with proportionally fewer responding to the winter wave. For that reason, I like you (in a subsequent post) tend to oppose new lockdowns thinking them simply not effective enough at this point. (That spring actions were not optimal is another issue.)

Quote:
SIDE COMMENT: I would add, be careful that you aren't being sucked into false perception not based on fake news but on what is selected to be reported that is equally as bad. (referring to the coverage of maskless gatherings of one party but not the other.)

Let me give you an example, CNN covers (nationally) every bad "Karen" moment and her bad actions towards minorities. They didn't cover this story: (gee, racially targeted serial killer ignored and doesn't make national news but a lady yelling at a neighbor does? wow.)

https://fox4kc.com/news/fredrick-sco...usiness-owner/
No disagreement about this observation. Not having cable, CNN is the easiest channel for me to stream with my current setup (SlingTV). Rarely have it on for their repetitive outrage does become tiresome.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I stumbled on this story in the mask sticky. A poster wrote about a hypothetical grandma saying the so-called JHU study proved it was false to say: not wearing a mask would kill grandma. That grandma dying would be from another cause, not covid. Truth - that word was used - was being suppressed.

The combined images of: let's not mask around or perhaps for grandma and the conspiracy imagery paired with the (to me) jumbled Briand analysis sucked me in. Once intrigued, taking a closer look at the Briand story was like putting together a puzzle - or, more precisely, taking apart the puzzle of her data.

I tend to agree that views have hardened to where we might see less responsiveness. For example, that many realizing covid could impact their parts of the country then responded quickly with changed behavior was no doubt a major factor in that sharp downward slope from the peak of the summer wave.

That "come to God" moment may have already been factored in, with proportionally fewer responding to the winter wave. For that reason, I like you (in a subsequent post) tend to oppose new lockdowns thinking them simply not effective enough at this point. (That spring actions were not optimal is another issue.)

No disagreement about this observation. Not having cable, CNN is the easiest channel for me to stream with my current setup (SlingTV). Rarely have it on for their repetitive outrage does become tiresome.
Young people realize they have almost no risk to this virus, less than they do from the common flu.
And they see government officials ignoring the rules they say are so important.

And other people comprehend the negative effects of the lockdowns, along with their limited effectiveness as people make their own choices, regardless of what the hypocrites in government say.

Only diehard Democrats were dumb enough not to understand the hypocrisy of the officials promoting the protests this summer. They destroyed any credibility on the issue with that move. People don't take them seriously anymore.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:24 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,745,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Personally. Worst situation I have seen in over 30 years of doing anesthesia and critical care.
I know several anesthesiologists and not one of them has time to post on a message board, nor the desire to do so. They wouldn't even know what CD is. Goodness. And you have posted how many times? Amazing.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:35 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I know several anesthesiologists and not one of them has time to post on a message board, nor the desire to do so. They wouldn't even know what CD is. Goodness. And you have posted how many times? Amazing.
Another very involved anesthesia doc posts here frequently.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:03 PM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It does not matter if someone has a condition that would have killed him six months from now. If he dies now because of a coronavirus infection that is still the cause of death, just as bacterial pneumonia could be the cause of death. The underlying condition is a contributing factor, not the actual cause of death.
I already said that, so not sure why you're responding to my post this way.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
My point was about the media bias to where crimes take place and what crimes constitute news coverage. This long has been an issue before we even had 24 hour news channels on cable TV. I'm sorry this true point was lost on you in your biased diatribe against the MSM. FYI. I'm arguing a similar point and I normally do defend the MSM. I'm just saying this issue was a bit more accepted and not challenged really. I disagree with it but I dont know what we can do to stop the bias towards the big metro areas and mass murders versus whatever was the case with this one...
Actually, almost all the major outlets covered the story.....just not CNN.

The KC metro has 2.3million people, several professional sports teams etc. and it's "too small" to run a story about a serial killer racially targeting people even though just about everyone else covered the story?

And it's me making a Biased diatribe?

Here's some more reality for you to deny, crap dude did Trump bite you or something, you're starting to sound like him.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cnn/

Old 11-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Perhaps it was deaths reported as due to Covid occurring in states with Dem governors that is the issue?

My SIL lives in a heavily Dem state, and works in a small, rural hospital. According to her, all deaths recorded at their hospital have been attributed to Covid, with no tests run to confirm. According to her, it's because they get more money for a Covid death.
The TOTAL deaths are abnormally up this year by about 250k, this was covered in another thread.

Note, TOTAL, no regard to cause.

Since that's the rough number of COVID deaths, if your SIL is right and that's happening then fine but it's still somewhere around that number even if her tiny rural hospital is telling the truth about it's 40 deaths or whatever and she isn't just confused or full of it.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes. People think most who died were in their deathbed awaiting the touch of death. They weren't unless they had stage 4 cancer and covid (i think this hasn't been the case at all.) Most had a comorbidity time bomb and covid cut the wrong cord way too soon.
I completely agree with you.

The person citing 80 years olds "on average" having 7-8 years remaining made a great point. The ones more prone to dying would be more towards the low end of 0-20+ years remaining.

Consider this re nursing home life-spans:

Quote:
The average length of stay before death was 13.7 months, while the median was five months.
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/08/98...eight%20months.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Why don't you track my pattern of days here, days not here as long as you wish to make inferences. Should I be working seven days/week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies