Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 05:32 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Just a question for everyone...

What would you do with a $1200 Stimulus Check if you received one this month?

I'll answer first...

I'd pay my property tax bill which is due December 31st.

That would mean that I would be able to easily pay all of my other bills on time and buy what I want to eat at the grocery store, too.

That property tax money would go into local government and in turn it would fund the schools here.

For the record... I'm NOT unemployed. I work two jobs, I've never been on public assitance and haven't been to a food bank or asked anyone for anything during this pandemic.

Maybe I shouldn't own a house, right?
I would pay the state income tax I have to pay on our earnings from our home business. We did better due to COVID so our revenue increased so more taxes. Unfortunately, it is due the same day our property taxes are due which greatly exceeds the $1200 stimulus check. Both fund a few programs I am not in favor with but it does go into infrastructure and funds our rural 24/7 fire department.

I would prefer to gift myself with new art supplies or buy DH more Dewalt power tools. But, the government won’t wait and will impose penalties. So, delayed gratification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 05:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
And those against shutdowns should empty bedpans in covid wards, doing it unmasked. A shutdown could been engineered to not hurt anybody signifcantly but no, the greedy want to put their knee on the neck of the desperate.
why should they, and how would you have "engineered this shutdown"?

Old 12-15-2020, 05:50 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I would pay the state income tax I have to pay on our earnings from our home business. We did better due to COVID so our revenue increased so more taxes. Unfortunately, it is due the same day our property taxes are due which greatly exceeds the $1200 stimulus check. Both fund a few programs I am not in favor with but it does go into infrastructure and funds our rural 24/7 fire department.

I would prefer to gift myself with new art supplies or buy DH more Dewalt power tools. But, the government won’t wait and will impose penalties. So, delayed gratification.
Congratulations on your success.

Interesting. A Stimulus Check paid directly to every American funds local government.

Instead of government making Covid Relief payments directly to state and local governments, they should give Covid Relief direct payments to taxpayers. The money in turn goes into the local economy and funds the local infrastructure, government, schools, fire departments... etc.

And, these payments would make it easier for American citizens to survive this pandemic.

Why is it that our representatives can't see this?

Does this mean that everyone who needs that Stimulus Check right now aren't deadbeats?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-15-2020 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 06:06 PM

Again,... What would YOU do with the money if we were to get another Stimulus Check this month?

Old 12-15-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I'm really sorry but it's really not the American way, to go to a food pantry for food.

Americans love good food. Hence the word, foodie became popular and we all watch chefs and food shows, we barbeque, we have food smokers, we buy food magazines and want to impress our friends with our skill and knowledge.

Standing in line for handouts is not what most Americans want to do.

This pandemic has gone on for a year. People have exhausted their resources and their bank accounts trying to weather it on their own.

Personally, I don't know anyone who would prefer to go to a food pantry and eat what ever they're given than to buy what they want from the grocery store.
you have these feelings - and you're kind and empathetic. Just like "the rest of us". It's just that your feelings - stoked cleverly by the media - have been manipulated to believe they ALL need help. As hav MANY people's feelings. You saw the morning news shows, they fed you what they wanted and what apparently you needed to run with from there. You (seemingly) did not think "Why? Is there something ls going on here?"

We don't ALL watch food shows. I don't have a food smoker, nor do I buy food magazines (the internet is free). I also can't think of anybody I know that would wait in line that didn't need to, but I do know they exist. And of course, some would call that disbelief on our part "white privilege".

Now, you ARE correct that MOST Americans do not want to stand in line for handouts. Some of the others need to, for a couple of reasons, and some people love free stuff. I don't know anybody that doesn't want to help those in NEED though.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:29 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
Quote:
Congratulations on your success.

Interesting. A Stimulus Check paid directly to every American funds local government.

Instead of government making Covid Relief payments directly to state and local governments, they should give Covid Relief direct payments to taxpayers. The money in turn goes into the local economy and funds the local infrastructure, government, schools, fire departments... etc.

And, these payments would make it easier for American citizens to survive this pandemic.

Why is it that our representatives can't see this?

Does this mean that everyone who needs that Stimulus Check right now aren't deadbeats?
Why, thank-you. We are retired and this home-based business was exempt due its category. At least, no one came around to close us. We don’t make a lot; it hit 5 figures last year but it pays the drudgery bills like taxes, insurance, utilities, you know, the ones you have to pay.

There seems to have been some political payments and ones I considered outrageous. But, I think that for the most part people spent them responsibly on necessities and guilty pleasures. Those that dine out (we are too cheap) probably ordered take out. They still supported the dining industry.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you have these feelings - and you're kind and empathetic. Just like "the rest of us". It's just that your feelings - stoked cleverly by the media - have been manipulated to believe they ALL need help. As hav MANY people's feelings. You saw the morning news shows, they fed you what they wanted and what apparently you needed to run with from there. You (seemingly) did not think "Why? Is there something ls going on here?"

We don't ALL watch food shows. I don't have a food smoker, nor do I buy food magazines (the internet is free). I also can't think of anybody I know that would wait in line that didn't need to, but I do know they exist. And of course, some would call that disbelief on our part "white privilege".

Now, you ARE correct that MOST Americans do not want to stand in line for handouts. Some of the others need to, for a couple of reasons, and some people love free stuff. I don't know anybody that doesn't want to help those in NEED though.
Really?

The person I was replying to said that people were in food lines because they wanted something for free.

I absolutely don't believe that most Americans want to eat leftover, expired, donated food.

We Americans enjoy good food.

I'm sorry that you're so brainwashed as to believe that I'm some kind of a victim of fake news... a term that's become popular over the last four years with some.

This morning's news did show people standing in line filling parking lots. They interviewed the head of the food bank network who said they've never seen need like this before...

Rather than open your eyes to see that American people are hurting due to this pandemic and need help, you choose to attack me and my ability to think for myself.

I can promise you, you really know nothing about me and my life's experience.

What I really want to know is which of my posts are you going to dissect next?

Old 12-15-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
First of all, how do you know how much these children have to eat during the summer months when school is not in session?

What does school lunch programs have to do with the state of our economy right now?

It's really sad that people prefer to keep their heads in the sand and to point fingers at all of the perceived injustices in the world, rather than acknowledge the truth of what's going on that's driving middle class Americans to go to food pantries for food right now.
Do you even see that it is you that has your head in the sand though?

As this topic evolves from "Congress sucks for not doing anything" to "What is the problem and how do we solve it?"

I mean, let's all get on the same page - there are VERY few problems that Congress tries to "do the right thing". They're after "what will give us power, what will give us votes, what can we claim a WIN over the other side for?"

Whoever said "Bernie has it right" - do y'all realize he wanted to give $2K/mo for a year (or more) to every single household?

That's $4.4 Trillion, or DOUBLING the Federal budget.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Really?

The person I was replying to said that

I absolutely don't believe that most Americans want to eat leftover, expired, donated food.

We Americans enjoy good food.

I'm sorry that you're so brainwashed as to believe that I'm some kind of a victim of fake news... a term that's become popular over the last four years with some.

This morning's news did show people standing in line filling parking lots. They did interview the head of the food network who said they've never seen need like this before...

Rather than open your eyes to see that American people are hurting due to this pandemic and need help, you choose to attack me and my ability to think for myself.

I can promise you, you really know nothing about me and my life's experience.

What I really want to know is which of my posts are you going to dissect next?
I guess part of this one.

The poster you respond to says "some are just there for the free food". You then interpret that as

people were in food lines because they wanted something for free.

which reads as you believe that poster thinks they're ALL only there for the free food.

Then you say I am attacking you. Calling you "stupid" is an attack. Pointing out your "blind spots" on what is happening isn't.

And if you think the food being served is leftover or expired, then you really do need to educate yourself.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:47 PM

Why is it that you guys can't talk about issues without bringing specific politicians into the equation?

I absolutely refuse to discuss Trump, Pelosi, McConnell,...

The people representing us are sitting pretty and people are going hungry in our country.

This has been going on for a year now.

They will be going home to warm houses, presents under the tree and a paid vacation in a couple of weeks.

I'm happy for you that you are ok and are happy about the way things are going.

I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies