Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 07:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Again,... What would YOU do with the money if we were to get another Stimulus Check this month?
It would go into:

*risk-averse: an existing savings account, where the Bank is allowed to turn it into ~$12,000 of loans.
*gamble: short AirBnB tomorrow, IF they even announced I would get $1200 in January. If I win, it puts more free money in my pocket. If not, some Wall Street goon gets USTreasury cash.

did you by chance see the chart of where the first check went? It wasn't "the economy" by the way. I'll find it again and post it for you, as in theory it's a critically important piece of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:02 PM

there's a bar graph floating out there from the summer that will be clearer to you, but scroll down to see the chart which is more currrent.

https://libertystreeteconomics.newyo...-the-next.html

Of those < $40K income - who would have gotten the full amount - about 20% went towards essentials. Twice that went to debt repayment - which is money that had already been spent in the economy.

or the Forbes summary of the above link

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri...h=5ff911b2680f

Old 12-15-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Let's talk about your blind spots.

I've been to a food bank before - not during this pandemic - but I've definitely got personal experience with the kind of food that a Food Pantry gives you. Expired food, moldy vegetables... stale bakery from grocery stores.

Have you?

I've also volunteered at the Food Pantry.

(I remember thinking that the companies that donate the expired food probably write it off as a donation instead of throwing it away and writing it off as loss / expired food. Then they probably feel really good about themselves for donating old food to needy people who don't deserve it - or who want something for free.)

You're obviously the one who doesn't know about what kind of food you receive when you go to a food pantry.
I have volunteered at a Food Pantry many times, and I've donated cash to the organization that covers my region. I've even donated untouched and excess freshly made food (and cash) to our Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. If you've got some current evidence beyond anecdotes and urban legends, by all means share.

https://foodbankcenc.org/our-work/food-sourcing/

there's the info on produce from the Food Bank I'm involved with. Maybe it's different in MO.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You guys are pathetic. honestly...

I remember why I don't like this forum.

You can drive me away but the problem isn't going away just because you choose to ignore it.

WC out.
the funny thing is, this is one of the LEAST political threads in weeks. Nobody is IGNORING the problems that the pandemic has wreaked on our country.

In my case, I said "where's here?" You said "Missouri". You had every oppty to tell me WHERE in Missouri, if you chose. That is on you, not on me.

I am fortunate to live in a generally-thriving city of ~500K, in a thriving region of ~2MM. I do see poverty many times a month, whether it be multiple times/week in my community, or within a 30 minute drive of my house. And I spend days at a time in my state observing poverty that dominates a community.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:00 PM

719 posts, read 761,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you don't have a job and need food, you go to the food bank and get free food. What is the problem again?
The real question is do these people really need the food or just getting the free give away.
People have known to line up for all kinds of give aways, so why is food any different?

Why do people believe everything they hear or just accept what's presented to their face?

Really, people that show up in these places, are they going to say, I'm here for the free food eventhough I don't need it and I can save some money, it's better then using coupons that I normally use or are they going to say I m food insecured and can't afford it?

Hello, off course they are going to say they are food insecured. Because they know some people will believe everything they hear.

Let see here, as I said before.

Unemployment was highest at around 15% in May.
Let just say 10000 people get the free food in those give aways.

But now employment is around 6.7%, but yet the same amount of people are there for the food.
How can this be? If more then half of those 10000 went back to work, how can the same amount of
people still needing the food because they don't have an income?

Old 12-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
The real question is do these people really need the food or just getting the free give away.
People have known to line up for all kinds of give aways, so why is food any different?

Why do people believe everything they hear or just accept what's presented to their face?

Really, people that show up in these places, are they going to say, I'm here for the free food eventhough I don't need it and I can save some money, it's better then using coupons that I normally use or are they going to say I m food insecured and can't afford it?

Hello, off course they are going to say they are food insecured. Because they know some people will believe everything they hear.

Let see here, as I said before.

Unemployment was highest at around 15% in May.
Let just say 10000 people get the free food in those give aways.

But now employment is around 6.7%, but yet the same amount of people are there for the food.
How can this be? If more then half of those 10000 went back to work, how can the same amount of
people still needing the food because they don't have an income?
let's start with - presumably you do believe many/most in the lines actually DO need the help. Just not all.

Now, it IS possible that in May that some of today's deserving people:

1. were employed then, but now now
2. had been living off savings, and did have reason to hope it would end soon

Old 12-15-2020, 10:15 PM

558 posts, read 338,602 times
Mile long line of $56,000 pickup trucks wanting free food. Texas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ta...urday/2477358/

Old 12-16-2020, 01:05 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Tax the rich much more...that will allow us to pay to feed those in need.
A simplistic Leftist answer to any problem... Tax the rich more. My question is what happens when the rich get tired of being “taxed much more” and leave the country? And renounce their US citizenship? Who are you going to “tax much more” next? The answer is the working middle-class.

I don’t know if people are keeping up with current events, but all the multi millionaires and billionaires in California are now fleeing the State in record numbers... Because of being “taxed much more.”

I have an ideal, why don’t we demand that the politicians, on both sides, do their job, which they’re paid to do... And some how in only a year or two, in office, they become multi millionaires? I know that this a hard concept for many to grasp since nobody is responsible for anything anymore, so why should we expect the politicians to do their job?

Trust me, every single Democrat and Republican are loving that we’re not holding them responsible for anything... Heck, a sitting Congressman received money AND had sex multiple times with a Chinese spy for years... And he is still on the intelligence committee!!

And we think that these elected people are going to solve our problems? Seriously, the only thing on their minds is getting out of DC so they can go on another tax payer funded vacation for Christmas, while our people are in line at food banks... News Flash!! They don’t care if you are out of work and hungry, cuz they’re not and doing pretty dang good!! At your expense.

As a collective, are we that stupid to allow ourselves to be played by all the politicians? The short answer is yes.

Pandemic or not, we, the United States, shouldn’t have OUR citizens in need of food for any reason.

Last edited by bergun; 12-16-2020 at 01:24 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 07:19 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Mile long line of $56,000 pickup trucks wanting free food. Texas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ta...urday/2477358/
If you care about the outcome, call your representatives and ask them to vote "yes" for the a second round of Direct Payments.

Josh Hawley was just interviewed on the CBS morning news. Like he said, working people are struggling to pay their bills after a year of this. Same rules as the first check.

He said it would be voted on this week and that they are not going on their Christmas vacation until a Covid Relief Bill is passed.

Mitch McConnell said that they weren't going home unless there is a bill, too.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:22 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Seriously, the only thing on their minds is getting out of DC so they can go on another tax payer funded vacation for Christmas, while our people are in line at food banks... News Flash!! They don’t care if you are out of work and hungry, cuz they’re not and doing pretty dang good!! At your expense.

As a collective, are we that stupid to allow ourselves to be played by all the politicians? The short answer is yes.

Pandemic or not, we, the United States, shouldn’t have OUR citizens in need of food for any reason.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies