Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 05:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times

Advertisements

I live in a rural area of what which could be considered close to the "deep South".

I have lived here for over 25 years.

I have never, ever heard anyone, say they had a "problem" with Black History Month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 05:30 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I was talking about the ones here before us
So what, and even that is questionable. That doesn't make them more of a native than anyone else that was born here. I call them Amerindians, period.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:35 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
It is generally pointless to dedicate a month to celebrating/acknowledging the achievements of people by race. Why don't we be thankful for their contributions to society regardless of race? If I were black it would seem as if people were pandering to me by having a "Black History month". Why just one month? Why do it at all?

Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
we have, National Jewish American month, National Italian American month, National Irish American Month, National Greek American History Month, Scottish-American Month, French, German ...
It's not the name on the calendar that's important, but are they part of the schools' curricula? That's the difference between Black American History Month and all the others. BTW, is it still OK to call it Black History? or is it African American?

I have to confess the only Scottish American people I can name are Andrew Carnegie and Alexander Bell. Between the Carnegie libraries and the Bell telephones, I'm grateful to the two Scots I know about.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:10 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Greater chance of becoming free?" How does that work when their African masters (owners) originally sold them (as chattel) to slave traders who loaded them onto boats headed almost entirely to Central and Soth America?

You seem to be looking for a way to blame anyone other than the Africans who exported their cultural norm: chattel slavery, to the US and much more frequently and in much greater numbers, to Central and South America.
That was YOUR link. So on one hand you are arguing, it is accurate and on another hand you are arguing it is not? Which is it?

As for your second paragraph, nice try moving the goalpost. Now you are saying “the Africans who” rather than “African blacks.” Good job being a bit more specific after all this time. Maybe when you educate yourself more than you can actually have a real conversation as to some of the cultures.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
we have, National Jewish American month, National Italian American month, National Irish American Month, National Greek American History Month, Scottish-American Month, French, German ...
Exactly. They just want to complain and act like someone is oppressing them. Let’s see if they keep this same energy for all those other months.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I was talking about the ones here before us
I think some members deny that there were any real people in North America before settlement, just like they deny the genocide committed by the USA government to obtain more land.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:55 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Is that all y'all need is a month? Mm K, cool. Enjoy.
Personally I think it frames you as victims. Sorta divisive in the scheme of things.
You might be on to something here. Instead of a Black History month, why not have a day in every month of the year, where someone who is of Black excellence is honored and people are encouraged to read up about them.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:57 PM

73 posts, read 20,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
You might be on to something here. Instead of a Black History month, why not have a day in every month of the year, where someone who is of Black excellence is honored and people are encouraged to read up about them.
You have just reduced the number of Black History days from 29 (28 in leap years) to 12.

This idea will have zero black support, except maybe from Clarence Thomas.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:05 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So what, and even that is questionable. That doesn't make them more of a native than anyone else that was born here. I call them Amerindians, period.
Regardless, their history would still be interesting to learn, I have two adopted full blood Native American niece and nephew whom would love to know about the history of the many tribes in this nation. They were called Indians because Columbus thought he landed in India and the term stuck, no I don’t consider it a insult, but they are not Indians because they are not from India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies