Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 01:13 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You just gave yourself one.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:14 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I once went out to dinner with a leftist
Sure you did.

And here is one illustration of the damage done by people like Rush Limbaugh, who made it acceptable to label people derogatorily.

Quote:
Liberals are such hypocrites.
Ironic, dontcha think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
No - you gave an example of how one liberal you know may be a hypocrite. See the difference?
It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I think there are generous conservatives and generous liberals out there. I'm the former and you probably are as well. Then, as you say, there are plenty of liberals that are only generous with other people's money. And there are conservatives who won't help anyone.
No doubt the reverse is true as well: conservatives who are generous with other people's money (some organized religions come to mind) and liberals who won't help anyone.

But your point is a good one: There is no black and white, labels don't apply to everyone, and the actions of one "leftist" do not color the remainder of the people who have that ridiculous label slapped onto them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Donating $100,000 doesn’t make up for his hate speech and nastiness.
That's a good point. I guess he was greasing the wheels so he could get into the pearly gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
All donations are a tax write off. So what? Do you understand how the charitable deduction works?
That wasn't the point. The point is that the donation is a miniscule percentage of his income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It isn't an accident that Rush's rise to fame came after the abolishment of the Fairness Doctrine.
Good point. No respectable radio station would have carried his show if they'd have had to carry opposing viewpoints.

Quote:
I wish we could go back to saving our venom for the truly despicable people of the world, like Klansmen and neo-nazis, and leave everyone else alone to be the flawed humans that we are.
Rush Limbaugh was not a "decent" person. His definition of "truly despicable" apparently included large groups of people for whom he spared no venom: women, gays, immigrants, blacks, liberals, environmentalists.

He called Chelsea Clinton a dog when she was all of 13. He called Barack Obama a "house negro". "Decent" people do not do that.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sure you did.

And here is one illustration of the damage done by people like Rush Limbaugh, who made it acceptable to label people derogatorily.

Ironic, dontcha think?

It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

No doubt the reverse is true as well: conservatives who are generous with other people's money (some organized religions come to mind) and liberals who won't help anyone.

But your point is a good one: There is no black and white, labels don't apply to everyone, and the actions of one "leftist" do not color the remainder of the people who have that ridiculous label slapped onto them.

That's a good point. I guess he was greasing the wheels so he could get into the pearly gates.

That wasn't the point. The point is that the donation is a miniscule percentage of his income.

Good point. No respectable radio station would have carried his show if they'd have had to carry opposing viewpoints.

Rush Limbaugh was not a "decent" person. His definition of "truly despicable" apparently included large groups of people for whom he spared no venom: women, gays, immigrants, blacks, liberals, environmentalists.

He called Chelsea Clinton a dog when she was all of 13. He called Barack Obama a "house negro". "Decent" people do not do that.

Give it a rest. Rush was just one aggressive voice on the conservative against what, dozens of venom spewing foul mouth liberal media hosts? The women on the View are not decent. Rachel Maddow is not decent. Kathy Griffin created a bloody severed head of Trump. The liberals made fun and cheered when Herman Cain got covid and died. They laughed at president Trump almost dying from covid. Rush pales in comparison to the truly despicable liberal media and Hollywood with their holier than thou attitudes and intolerance for anyone who dares have a difference of opinion.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:27 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Satan has called one his spawn home...may you roast in hell Rush!

The world can only hope that Satan will act quickly to bring another of his spawn home. However, Trump has now killed more than 500,000 people plus the 6 dead at the Capitol, left the US in 8 trillion dollars of debt and with record unemployment. Perhaps Satan has some more work for Trump.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:30 PM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Rush was worth 85 mil.......so what he donated 100k to St Jude. It`s like me giving $1.00.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:50 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Since the left has changed the meanings of all these words, they have no meaning anymore. They can be applied to anyone. Even on the left, many are finding themselves ensnared in the same ridiculous net that they, themselves, have cast. Most Americans, Rush included, are decent people. We all have flaws. We all say things sometimes that aren't politically correct. I wish we could go back to saving our venom for the truly despicable people of the world, like Klansmen and neo-nazis, and leave everyone else alone to be the flawed humans that we are. This whole "woke" phenomenon is what is "coarsening national discourse".
Miss me with the false equivalency and whataboutism.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Satan has called one his spawn home...may you roast in hell Rush!

The world can only hope that Satan will act quickly to bring another of his spawn home. However, Trump has now killed more than 500,000 people plus the 6 dead at the Capitol, left the US in 8 trillion dollars of debt and with record unemployment. Perhaps Satan has some more work for Trump.
Both rush and trump are going to heaven because they oppose abortion. That is the golden ticket. They are good Catholics of course.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Rush was worth 85 mil.......so what he donated 100k to St Jude. It`s like me giving $1.00.
I was gonna say...$100k doesn’t sound like that much for someone of Rush’s stature, and certainly not “whopping”.

More interesting will be how his estate will be parsed out.

I didn’t care for Rush’s politics, but I don’t think he was vile or evil. I can see why he’s hated, but c’mon. It’s not at all surprising to me that he wrote some charitable checks here and there.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Miss me with the false equivalency and whataboutism.
I think it's hilarious how people like you have been embarrassing themselves for weeks on end now

"whataboutism" is not a word. The reason you're confused is because the actual word, "hypocrisy", is too traumatic for your slanted worldview to accept

Old 02-19-2021, 03:13 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Give it a rest. Rush was just one aggressive voice on the conservative against what, dozens of venom spewing foul mouth liberal media hosts? The women on the View are not decent. Rachel Maddow is not decent. Kathy Griffin created a bloody severed head of Trump. The liberals made fun and cheered when Herman Cain got covid and died. They laughed at president Trump almost dying from covid. Rush pales in comparison to the truly despicable liberal media and Hollywood with their holier than thou attitudes and intolerance for anyone who dares have a difference of opinion.
Wait? What? I thought your kind don't care about "feelings" so why would these "venom spewing" folks even bother you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.