Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 06:58 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,327,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You’re missing the fact that black men commit 50% of the crime.

And let’s keep it in perspective. Police have about 50 million encounters with people, many of them belligerent, defiant, and/or high in drugs. That 99.99% of police encounters end without a death is testimony to their restraint and judgment.

And the other thing to consider is how many police, hesitating for a second before pulling the trigger against a threatening black man, end up dead themselves.

Kudos to the police for doing a thankless and dangerous job. When we come across a bad one, like the one who killed Floyd, we prosecute. But in 99% of the cases, I say “thank you” to a group of civil servants whomthe leftists have demonized.

I am so disappointed that this post is filled with so much racial rhetoric.

1. How would ANYONE know that 50% of crimes are committed by black people. All we know is that 50% of the arrests (if that number is even vetted and true) are black men. We know for a FACT that black and white men use Weed at similar rates, but blacks are arrested at a higher rate. We know that also of traffic stops. I'd be interested to know the source of your data. How we could know who is committing crimes that are not documented in any way.

2. Really Rachel, you are praising police for "not shooting a threatening looking black man"? As a Jew (like me), how could you? Did you not study our own history when growing up? Such an awful remark.

But I will say, prior to these comments, this was an interesting discussion. It showed perspective from mulitiple points of view. It showed that there may be media hype, but that hype goes both ways, and that both sides are only shining a spotlight to further their one-sided agenda, and are making things worse.

I acknowledge, both sides are part of the problem. And the main problems persists. Blacks are arrested, and killed, disproportionally to their numbers in society. Both POVs are perpetuating this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 07:35 AM

4,225 posts, read 3,774,515 times
I find it ironic that those preaching equality are the ones that focus on peoples differences because for me, equality starts by holding people accountable for their actions rather than skin color. If statistics show that one race tends to be arrested more than another, so be it; 99% of the time I guarantee it has nothing to do with racism. The only thing that should impact the outcome of a crime are the facts, not peoples perceptions, feelings, or opinions.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:46 AM

8,951 posts, read 2,976,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

1. How would ANYONE know that 50% of crimes are committed by black people. All we know is that 50% of the arrests (if that number is even vetted and true) are black men. We know for a FACT that black and white men use Weed at similar rates, but blacks are arrested at a higher rate. We know that also of traffic stops. I'd be interested to know the source of your data. How we could know who is committing crimes that are not documented in any way.

2. Really Rachel, you are praising police for "not shooting a threatening looking black man"? As a Jew (like me), how could you? Did you not study our own history when growing up? Such an awful remark.

But I will say, prior to these comments, this was an interesting discussion. It showed perspective from mulitiple points of view. It showed that there may be media hype, but that hype goes both ways, and that both sides are only shining a spotlight to further their one-sided agenda, and are making things worse.

I acknowledge, both sides are part of the problem. And the main problems persists. Blacks are arrested, and killed, disproportionally to their numbers in society. Both POVs are perpetuating this.
We know about the crimes by race by a thing called STATISTICS.

She is not incorrect.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:34 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,525,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

As a Jew, since YOU had to bring religion into this, perhaps you could show even a slight interest in fighting back against the antisemitism sweeping this country, rather than perpetuate the lie that cops are gunning down blacks due to racism.

it is a statistic that 6% of the population (black males) are committing 50% of the violent crime. It is a testament to the cops that, given these statistics, the instances of a cop killing a threatening black male (and that is one who is defying the police and seeming to go for a weapon - although I notice you tried to turn my comment into something racist - is amazingly rare.

Wish liberal Jews would start defending against antisemitism for a change. Don’t you know the history of our own people, and see similarities on the streets of NY and LA?

Old 05-24-2021, 09:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How many police departments are sharing this information? Why no reliable national system?

How many black people were lynched by other black people?
what we know is that Tim Scott proposed a bill that would have included a national info-sharing system. Of course, this was apparently the first such bill in a long time. Looking into it, Obama achieved "police reform" by using the Justice Department to force consent decrees in 20+ cities.

So, what we need in order to get "police reform" is a non-partisan and actually non-"political" discussion about what really needs to happen, what can be agreed-on should happen, and then make a law and implement it.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
We know about the crimes by race by a thing called STATISTICS.

She is not incorrect.
the data - well, one chart

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

all the charts, if you're into data THAT much

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...-the-u.s.-2019

Old 05-24-2021, 09:32 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,941,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what we know is that Tim Scott proposed a bill that would have included a national info-sharing system. Of course, this was apparently the first such bill in a long time. Looking into it, Obama achieved "police reform" by using the Justice Department to force consent decrees in 20+ cities.

So, what we need in order to get "police reform" is a non-partisan and actually non-"political" discussion about what really needs to happen, what can be agreed-on should happen, and then make a law and implement it.
In February 2021, the House again passed the police reform bill with zero Republican votes. Now with the Senate, they still need 10 Republican votes to pass.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:33 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,327,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
As a Jew, since YOU had to bring religion into this, perhaps you could show even a slight interest in fighting back against the antisemitism sweeping this country, rather than perpetuate the lie that cops are gunning down blacks due to racism.

it is a statistic that 6% of the population (black males) are committing 50% of the violent crime. It is a testament to the cops that, given these statistics, the instances of a cop killing a threatening black male (and that is one who is defying the police and seeming to go for a weapon - although I notice you tried to turn my comment into something racist - is amazingly rare.

Wish liberal Jews would start defending against antisemitism for a change. Don’t you know the history of our own people, and see similarities on the streets of NY and LA?
My question remains. How do you know they are COMMITTING 50% of the crimes. Where are the stats on crimes committed that were never charged.

Do you see my point? If the arrest rates are biased (just "if"), and that is the basis of the stats, then how do you know?

And I'm not perpetuating anything. I asked a question, AND I acknowledged that there are two sides to this, INCLUDING that media hype perpetuates. What do you want from me, and everyone? Just to concede everything, and say you are right on all accounts? I acknowledge your points, but it's not enough. For you, I have to forgo my values, my beliefs, everything, or I'm a hater? That doesn't seem very open minded.

Let's stay on topic. I didn't change the topic to anti-semitism. I made the comparison, that as someone who should be aware of xenophobic issues, I'd have thought you would not spread so much blatant racist stuff, as what I quoted. If you don't think it's racist, that's OK, but we'll have to agree to disagree that cops not shooting blacks because (to paraphrase you) "we know they are criminals before we even know their identity" (eg: "because they are black") is eblematic of "restraint". I just don't agree with that sentiment.

EDIT: How do you, or anyone else know who is committing the crimes, not just who's getting charged for them. Maybe I'm just missing it?

Old 05-24-2021, 09:38 AM

14,239 posts, read 4,616,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Cool. So lets see. Where to start. So 2010 Census. % of us population that is black? 12.6%.

page 4:
https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/...c2010br-02.pdf

And you are trotting out that 25% number like its something to be proud of? Really?

And 27 of them were 100% unarmed? And you're proud of this? Really?

I grant you the rare Greywar double DOHS!
should you compare the percent of black men killed by police to the percent of black people committed violent crimes instead of the % black population?

Old 05-24-2021, 09:47 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,338,054 times
While there have been a number of incidents in which police almost certainly if not certainly used excessive force, by and large, Asians in this country do not complain of police brutality; Asians don't claim they're being hunted down by police.

FBI statistics on crime, which are published every year in autumn and which include dozens of spreadsheets with very granular data about crime broken down by locale, race, weapons used, gender, age, state, urban vs. rural, and other categories, show that Asians commit crimes far less than whites, blacks, and Hispanics.

Does this pattern - the fact that law enforcement officers are highly unlikely to have dangerous encounters with Asians who are armed and dangerous - have no relevance in the extremely rare cases of police shooting Asians dead?

If there IS relevance, what is that relevance, exactly?

And does that relevance carry over into how police react to other ethnic groups? If it does, how?

Or are police officers of all races just incorrigible bigots who shoot blacks and Hispanics for fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies