Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 10:04 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...ya think?...you're still taking off your shoes and getting molested by some TSA employee with a GED to board a plane, 20 years later...

A salient point. The wholesale repudiation of masks is unlikely. Various jurisdictions and various adventurous persons may take liberties to remove them, but the "normal" has changed.

And in another 20 years, we'll have another staggering crisis (or one regarded as such), with a new and harsher offense against dignity and privacy, and a new a harsher redefinition of what is meant by "normal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 10:56 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sounds like Fauci is another lockdown artist.
The people need act like escape artist Harry Houdini but the law is on their side if they do !!!

No one should allow any employee of a business open to the public to act as a unlicensed medical professional practicing medicine !!! The same with someone acting as a legal professional attempting to force compliance with a government directive which a person may or may not be subject to !!! They have no jurisdiction to take such actions unless you are their property or you have a contract allowing them to !!!

Membership to that business is not a contract, and can't be enforced as one when there was no meeting of the minds on the issue here, but only a service agreement !!!

Old 03-20-2021, 02:07 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A salient point. The wholesale repudiation of masks is unlikely. Various jurisdictions and various adventurous persons may take liberties to remove them, but the "normal" has changed.

And in another 20 years, we'll have another staggering crisis (or one regarded as such), with a new and harsher offense against dignity and privacy, and a new a harsher redefinition of what is meant by "normal".
Companies are making improved masks. It's obvious that masks are forever.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:39 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
...ya think?...you're still taking off your shoes and getting molested by some TSA employee with a GED to board a plane, 20 years later...

...still don't get it, do ya?...
What a weak comparison.

If we achieve herd immunity the risk of catching covid is very small, so we can remove masks.
There are still terrorists that want to blow up planes, so we cannot stop having security at airports.

Furthermore calling a search "molested" is pure drama queenery, and I'd be curious how you know what percentage of TSA didn't graduate high school? Oh wait, I already know... you made it up.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
The case for masks and social distancing after vaccinations is that there are variants of the virus possible that the vaccines and prior infection provide no immunity for.
I think the case for masks and social distancing after vaccinations is that not enough people have been vaccinated.

I think by this fall in USA people wearing masks will be the exception, not the norm, and all this paranoid hand wringing in threads like this will seem like more of a joke than it already is.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It's obvious that masks are forever.
Bookmarked.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:47 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I think the case for masks and social distancing after vaccinations is that not enough people have been vaccinated.

I think by this fall in USA people wearing masks will be the exception, not the norm, and all this paranoid hand wringing in threads like this will seem like more of a joke than it already is.
There isn't a case for either unless you have symptoms. You cant get covid from door knobs and toilet seats.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:50 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Team mask has been wrong about everything. Sorry you've done it to yourselves
Team Mask? Lol. It's a personal choice, this one among many other choices, some selfless and some selfish. If we really want a multicultural United States, then we're going to have to NOT be so easily offended. Intolerance is censorship, it has no social value other than to shutdown interaction.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I sincerely hope that you're right. Whenever making a pessimistic prediction, I'd far rather come to look foolish and be proven wrong, but to enjoy the resulting better life, than to be only too correct, at the price of suffering precisely the privation that was aptly predicted.

So, hyperbole aside, it's my belief that some critical mass of the public, or at least of decision-makers, are reaching a conclusion that the inconvenience of masks, is outweighed by the benefits of curbing communicable diseases, be they Covid or the flu or some other yet-unobserved potential breath-borne virus.

Since you find the analogy of TSA security-inspections to be a sophomoric mockery, I will instead trot-out the other stand-by: seat belts. Not even 50 years ago, seat-belts were not only optional, but generally viewed askance, as some weird hobby or fashion for the timid. Then, between the mid-80s and early-90s, nearly every state came to mandate them. Today, when passengers enter a car, to not click their seat-belts is regarded as not merely being illegal, but a crass boorishness and the sign of a particularly warped and stupid insistence on some caricature of libertarianism... the sort pursued by teenagers dabbling in their first attempt to read a philosophy book, but abandoned maybe 3-4 years after reaching puberty.

The passage between grudgingly acceding to some minor inconvenience - at first odd and uncomfortable - and coming to regard it as necessary and proper for civilization itself - is unfortunately only too straightforward.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:24 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:

...still don't get it, do ya?...
Apples and Oranges!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies