Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 03:25 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Team Mask? Lol. It's a personal choice, this one among many other choices, some selfless and some selfish. If we really want a multicultural United States, then we're going to have to NOT be so easily offended. Intolerance is censorship, it has no social value other than to shutdown interaction.

What thread are you on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 03:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I sincerely hope that you're right. Whenever making a pessimistic prediction, I'd far rather come to look foolish and be proven wrong, but to enjoy the resulting better life, than to be only too correct, at the price of suffering precisely the privation that was aptly predicted.

So, hyperbole aside, it's my belief that some critical mass of the public, or at least of decision-makers, are reaching a conclusion that the inconvenience of masks, is outweighed by the benefits of curbing communicable diseases, be they Covid or the flu or some other yet-unobserved potential breath-borne virus.

Since you find the analogy of TSA security-inspections to be a sophomoric mockery, I will instead trot-out the other stand-by: seat belts. Not even 50 years ago, seat-belts were not only optional, but generally viewed askance, as some weird hobby or fashion for the timid. Then, between the mid-80s and early-90s, nearly every state came to mandate them. Today, when passengers enter a car, to not click their seat-belts is regarded as not merely being illegal, but a crass boorishness and the sign of a particularly warped and stupid insistence on some caricature of libertarianism... the sort pursued by teenagers dabbling in their first attempt to read a philosophy book, but abandoned maybe 3-4 years after reaching puberty.

The passage between grudgingly acceding to some minor inconvenience - at first odd and uncomfortable - and coming to regard it as necessary and proper for civilization itself - is unfortunately only too straightforward.
Thank you for that. It was a joy to read. Thank you for your patience with our community, young and old. Interaction is the key to our continuous opportunities. Lots of things go away because they make no sense in a healthy community, all ignorant human behaviors. I can't wait until we can live together sustainably. It would make me sleep better at night. I know it's trending that way, so just saying.

Last edited by Werone; 03-20-2021 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
[/b]

What thread are you on?
What do you mean?

Old 03-20-2021, 03:35 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There isn't a case for either unless you have symptoms. You cant get covid from door knobs and toilet seats.
The fact covid can be spread even if you don't have symptoms is the case for masks.

The fact covid can be on a door handle is a case for hand washing.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Since you find the analogy of TSA security-inspections to be a sophomoric mockery, I will instead trot-out the other stand-by: seat belts. Not even 50 years ago, seat-belts were not only optional, but generally viewed askance, as some weird hobby or fashion for the timid. Then, between the mid-80s and early-90s, nearly every state came to mandate them. Today, when passengers enter a car, to not click their seat-belts is regarded as not merely being illegal, but a crass boorishness and the sign of a particularly warped and stupid insistence on some caricature of libertarianism... the sort pursued by teenagers dabbling in their first attempt to read a philosophy book, but abandoned maybe 3-4 years after reaching puberty.

The passage between grudgingly acceding to some minor inconvenience - at first odd and uncomfortable - and coming to regard it as necessary and proper for civilization itself - is unfortunately only too straightforward.
Yet another poor comparison.

As time passed there was still risk of auto accidents which seat belts greatly mitigate injury and death.
As time passed there are still terrorists that want to blow up planes.

If time passes and society reaches herd and everyone who wants to be vaccinated can have on, the risk from covid might have reduced considerably. Thus the change in mask policy.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
For the third time since this started I was out running errands and ran into a store without my mask because I was thinking about other things, not covid. Nobody was there except me and the cashiers and they didn't say anything and I only realized it when I went to pay and saw their masks and realized I didn't have one. I said "opps" and fished it out of my purse but they didn't seem concerned and probably wouldn't have said anything if I hadn't. The panic isn't there for most people, especially since there are still so many other thing in place like plastic panels between the cashiers and customer, limited people inside at any given time, etc.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yet another poor comparison.

As time passed there was still risk of auto accidents which seat belts greatly mitigate injury and death.
As time passed there are still terrorists that want to blow up planes.

If time passes and society reaches herd and everyone who wants to be vaccinated can have on, the risk from covid might have reduced considerably. Thus the change in mask policy.
How's that a poor comparison? Vaccinations are an obvious benefit, so are seatbelts.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
How's that a poor comparison? Vaccinations are an obvious benefit, so are seatbelts.
The argument that masks usage will go away based on the assumption we will reach herd immunity and covid cases will drop to extremely low levels where it isn't considered a major threat.

Seat belt usage continued but the issue it's trying to address, death or injury from automobile accidents, has not gone away nor does anyone think it disappear as a risk in the future.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There has to be spread in order for it to mutate into a new strain. If we can shut it down with widespread vaccine adoption there won’t be endless future variants.
Likely much will depend on the percentage of the global population that become vaccinated and subsequent booster shots.

Rand Paul, an ophthalmologist, took on Fauci this week, claiming prior infection or vaccination = immunity thus no need for masks. Rand Paul in 2014 claimed Ebola transmission was airborne and the Obama WH was hiding the facts. This is what happens when MDs dont stay in their lanes of specialties or perhaps just say stuff for political gain.

Seems Rand Paul either ignored the potential risks of variants or he was playing politics- maybe both.

SARS CoV-2 did not come with a book of warnings and instructions. Not a day goes by that some new is not learned about this virus and future variants.

While anecdotal, seems to me those who believe Covid is nothing more than a cold or seasonal flu are more likely to be both anti mask and vaccine and crosses political lines.

It did not help that Trump was anti mask and distancing given he and his immediate family were infected and probably infected others. Had Trump been just an ordinary guy, no one would have been monitoring his vitals and oxygen, 24/7. An ordinary guy would not have been admitted to the hospital out of and abundance of caution. And ordinary guy would not have been given a “ compassionate care” experimental cocktail the way Trump was. And if/ when ordinary guy survived and was discharged, not likely he would have announced “ don’t worry about Covid”.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:55 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The fact covid can be spread even if you don't have symptoms is the case for masks.
No, that's just what they have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies