Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 03:56 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Its a good comparison; seat belts, like vaccinations can cause harm. The usage of either should be personal choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 03:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its a good comparison; seat belts, like vaccinations can cause harm. The usage of either should be personal choice.
You missed the point by a wee bit.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:57 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
For the third time since this started I was out running errands and ran into a store without my mask because I was thinking about other things, not covid. Nobody was there except me and the cashiers and they didn't say anything and I only realized it when I went to pay and saw their masks and realized I didn't have one. I said "opps" and fished it out of my purse but they didn't seem concerned and probably wouldn't have said anything if I hadn't. The panic isn't there for most people, especially since there are still so many other thing in place like plastic panels between the cashiers and customer, limited people inside at any given time, etc.
You are lucky. Here people want to confront you for getting your mail out of the box without a mask.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:07 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I AM glad to see pushback against masks now, because it would be easy at this point for the fearful to continue to control the dialogue and make them effectively permanent.

They shouldn't be. We can't let it be suggested that they should be. We need to wean ourselves off of these things.

Please stop comparing them to seat belts.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We need to wean ourselves off of these things.
Absolutely.

If the vaccine rollout affects covid spread and death rates as much as data indicates it should, we need to start winding back the mask rules. As I said before I think the effects of vaccines will be even more obvious by summer, and hopefully by fall in USA masks are the exception instead of the norm.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The argument that masks usage will go away based on the assumption we will reach herd immunity and covid cases will drop to extremely low levels where it isn't considered a major threat.

Seat belt usage continued but the issue it's trying to address, death or injury from automobile accidents, has not gone away nor does anyone think it disappear as a risk in the future.
Ok. Makes sense, and doesn't necessarily mean a bad comparison. I've never felt offended by others wanting me to wear a mask. I don't know what the problem is, why are some people so offended so easily in a free society. You want a free society? Don't be so easily offended. You can always defend yourself, excuse yourself for whatever the offense seemed to be. A little people skills goes a long way.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:19 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
The case for masks and social distancing after vaccinations is that there are variants of the virus possible that the vaccines and prior infection provide no immunity for. Scientists say COVID-19 will be endemic and there will be endless variants of COVID-19. At any time, a new variant can pop up and quickly spread.

Thus our options are to get rid of masks and distancing now because there will always be covid spreading or to keep these measures in place permanently to protect against all future variants.
Companies are making improved masks. It's obvious that masks are forever.
The arguments for continued mask wearing are beginning to sound like the arguments for lockdown forever.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Ok. Makes sense, and doesn't necessarily mean a bad comparison. I've never felt offended by others wanting me to wear a mask. I don't know what the problem is, why are some people so offended so easily in a free society. You want a free society? Don't be so easily offended. You can always defend yourself, excuse yourself for whatever the offense seemed to be. A little people skills goes a long way.
I have no idea what you're going on about here, I'm not offended at all by people wearing masks and I wear one every time I leave my house. I believe they should be mandatory in all public places until the pandemic subsides.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:34 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you're going on about here, I'm not offended at all by people wearing masks and I wear one every time I leave my house. I believe they should be mandatory in all public places until the pandemic subsides.
One of the ways to wean ourselves off of these things will be to encourage their use ONLY in very tight quarters with extended close contact.

That's actually the only place I have seen "the science" show they make a difference.

Not in casual social distant passings in large spaces indoors like grocery stores... NOT OUTSIDE.

I have never seen anything as silly as people wearing these things, walking by themselves, outside. We need to start convincing people that not only is that not needed, it's not desirable.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
What a weak comparison.

If we achieve herd immunity the risk of catching covid is very small, so we can remove masks.
There are still terrorists that want to blow up planes, so we cannot stop having security at airports.

Furthermore calling a search "molested" is pure drama queenery, and I'd be curious how you know what percentage of TSA didn't graduate high school? Oh wait, I already know... you made it up.
Bolding mine, how about "raped" then? And don't even start with me. I know someone who was actually raped (as-in a man forced his penis into her vagina against her will just so there's no ambiguity). The first, and now last, time she tried to fly commercially, she said going through the tsa was like being raped all over again. She had a major panic attack right there in the south screening point of Hartsfield airport and was taken to the ER by the EMS...AND THE DIRTBAG TSA STILL TRIED TO "FINE" HER FOR "FAILURE TO COMPLETE SCREENING!" Fortunately she had a lawyer and I guess got it quashed. But she still gets a lot of anxiety about going through even more "benign" checkpoints like courthouses, ballparks, theme parks, and some concert venues since they've all gotten more aggressive alongside the tsa. Most of them just throw out the excuse "it's just like the airport." She's even moved counties just to never have to deal with the scumbags that manned the ones at the government buildings where she used to live. Now I don't know about you, but I believe rape victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies