Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 08:31 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I do understand that and the videos should be used. In fact, all the videos should be used. The prosecution during closing was encouraging the jury just to go with their initial impressions and outrage they felt when they first saw the viral video. I think that's where the problem lies.

The videos of Floyd yelling about not being able to breathe before Chauvin touched him, which the prosecution has never given a good explanation of, the videos of Floyd kicking and resisting the other officers, and the videos of Floyd continuing to kick while being restrained are also evidence.

If you watch the videos from the initial attempt to get Floyd into the car until Floyd is on the ground, it's obvious he's having some kind of medical emergency that doesn't include Chauvin's actions. In fact, Chauvin only got involved when the other officers had been struggling with Floyd's aggressive behavior for quite some time. When you watch the video of Floyd on the ground, you can see a hostile crowd, including an aggressive MMA fighter, and see the Chauvin's attention was on the crowd when he pulls out his pepper spray. Several had asked what was going through his head and it's obvious that he's wondering if the lone officer, Thao, is going to be rushed by the crowd.

I agree use all the video evidence, but don't stop there. The autopsy should play a key role in trying to figure out what medical problem Floyd was having before Chauvin touched him. The autopsy is where the prosecution's case has some problems, which is why they encouraged the jury not to rely on doctors, experts, or the autopsy, and just to use the viral video and their sense of outrage.
I think it's worth reading the Jury Instructions here:

https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/med...ns04192021.pdf

Judge Cahill outlined the three different charges Derek Chauvin is facing: second-degree murder, third-degree murder, & second-degree manslaughter. He described the burden of proof necessary for the jury to find Derek Chauvin guilty of the charges. He also outlined what is considered reasonable and unlawful use of force for a police officer.

The jury is the trier of facts; it's their duty to decide the facts of this case. It is the Judge's duty to give the Jury the rules of law they must apply in arriving at a verdict.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM

728 posts, read 303,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Chauvin could have handled it differently.

1) call his supervisor for advice and assist

2) get a larger vehicle to transport Floyd to the precinct.

You have the mindset of a Police Chief who throws his officers to the crowd looking for blood.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:34 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
No pulse is a BIG CLUE.
again cops are not paramedics or doctors. They aren't trained to detect pulses and people who are trained still can't do it accurately

Old 04-20-2021, 08:36 AM

10,773 posts, read 4,351,834 times
Quote:
Then we are all in for it from police!

Is that a precedent you want set for police in the US? "Police can kill the alleged suspect because they cannot tell if the alleged offender is still alive or not."

Does that make sense to you?
Unintentionally kill, yes that makes sense.
Mistakes happen, its part of the job.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I do understand that and the videos should be used. In fact, all the videos should be used. The prosecution during closing was encouraging the jury just to go with their initial impressions and outrage they felt when they first saw the viral video. I think that's where the problem lies.

The videos of Floyd yelling about not being able to breathe before Chauvin touched him, which the prosecution has never given a good explanation of, the videos of Floyd kicking and resisting the other officers, and the videos of Floyd continuing to kick while being restrained are also evidence.

If you watch the videos from the initial attempt to get Floyd into the car until Floyd is on the ground, it's obvious he's having some kind of medical emergency that doesn't include Chauvin's actions. In fact, Chauvin only got involved when the other officers had been struggling with Floyd's aggressive behavior for quite some time. When you watch the video of Floyd on the ground, you can see a hostile crowd, including an aggressive MMA fighter, and see the Chauvin's attention was on the crowd when he pulls out his pepper spray. Several had asked what was going through his head and it's obvious that he's wondering if the lone officer, Thao, is going to be rushed by the crowd.

I agree use all the video evidence, but don't stop there. The autopsy should play a key role in trying to figure out what medical problem Floyd was having before Chauvin touched him. The autopsy is where the prosecution's case has some problems, which is why they encouraged the jury not to rely on doctors, experts, or the autopsy, and just to use the viral video and their sense of outrage.
Then Chauvin should have acted to help a man that (in your words) "is obviously having a medical emergency." Instead, Chauvin finished him off.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
There's not an honest, intelligent person who would argue that Fentanyl, especially at the ridiculously high levels found in his system, didn't play a primary role in his death.
Which witness argued that Floyd died of "ridiculously high levels found in his system?"

Old 04-20-2021, 08:39 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
And in either situation, Floyd is just as dead because none of that takes the drugs that killed him out of his system.
The rule of law is the fact that other causes contribute to a person's death does not relieve the defendant of criminal liability.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
After watching the testimonies of medical experts in this trial, I have had my fill of these bozos. They can be as crooked as any lowlife you find in the underbelly of America.
I found them all, except Dr. Fowler, knowledgeable and credible.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:41 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,360 times
Quote:
Chauvin could have handled it differently.

1) call his supervisor for advice and assist

2) get a larger vehicle to transport Floyd to the precinct.

Floyd was able to pass out in the Benz which is roughly the same size as the explorer. He was not claustrophobic he was lying trying to get released. He had a history of lying to cops and causing a scene when being arrested.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I mean, you ARE talking to the brilliant person who suggested that Floyd couldn't have had a heart attack because the Fentanyl in his system would have protected his heart....

So I'm not sure if that person has ANY kind of "smarts"
Fentanyl, or a similar opioid, is used for induction of anesthesia for those getting an open bypass of their cardiac vessels because of their protective effect on the heart. We don't want the patient to have a heart attack during the surgery. Morphine is often given to patients with severe chest pain associated with a heart attack for the same reason.

I did post research studies demonstrating this. My apologies as those studies were obviously too complex for you to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies