Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 11:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
The thing is we are doing Monday morning quarterbacking. Like when we can see a holding call that the ref didn't catch. The ref is watching in real time with no idea on whats going to happen next. We are watching, pausing, rewinding, zooming in, and everything else and go all day to decide.

That cop couldn't replay the scene in his mind multiple times, slow it down, zoom in, rewind, etc. and thing decide to shoot or don't shoot. He has to make the decision right then in the fraction of a second. The wrong decision could cost him his life.

I love reading the comments on FB. "Well, if i slow it down and zoom in, I can clearly see he didn't have the gun anymore!". NO $%&# Sherlock. How about you try doing that in real time why running and possibly getting shot at.
Good analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 11:20 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Come, didn't your friends call you Lil Homicide?

Old 04-16-2021, 11:36 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Maybe it wasn't clear to the officer also but he thought it was and had a split second to decide.
Heard in the video is 'drop it'. I didn't watch the video frame by frame but the officer obviously saw something he thought was a gun. And he also made a pretty valiant effort to save the kid.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:40 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Dems own the violence which has grown from their four year hate and fear campaign.

average gang member 15 years of age

Cops shoots 13 year old is the headline.... as if the cop knew the guy was 13 years old. Takes on a whole new meaning when you consider the reality of the situation.

known gang territory, report of shots fired, activists and elected officials create a toxic environment and expect no issues to arise. How about that BLM org calling for the death of cops.... theink that helps. How about Talib, you suppose her rhetoric is soothing tensions???

This is what pelosi had to say in 2009 so prophetic that it now applies to talib's rhetoric this week..... “I saw this myself in the late seventies in San Francisco. This kind of rhetoric was very frightening and it gave—it created a climate in which violence took place.”

the left has set the stage for violent confrontations on the streets. Lies about cops hunting down black men, endorse the likes of BLM and the outcome is predictable.

Dems own the violence which has grown from their four year hate and fear campaign.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:46 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
he had a flashlight on the kid, the kid turned around with his hands up as he was instructed to do. He can't be shot after that. He just can't. Check my history on these cases here, the narrative of cops hunting black men is BS. But ..you can't reach for a taser and pull a gun instead and shoot someone. And you can't shoot a kid with his hands clearly in the air. He had a bright flashlight on him and he was what, 15 feet away? It's just not good.
You left one detail out - he had the gun in his hands and dropped it a fraction of a second before the cop fired.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The vast majority of U.K. Police don't carry guns. Cops here are just trigger happy and scared. STOP hiring cowards as police.
England, like nearly every country in the world, does not view guns as a constitutional right.

People don’t perceive the same need to own/ carry a firearm as they do in the US, where there are more firearms than people. More guns beget more guns begets more shootings. The US has a gun homicide rate 20 x higher than other developed countries.

CPD and federal agencies trace all recovered firearms. Most were legally purchased at one point in time at licensed gun dealers in suburban Chicago. They go missing or are reported stolen and eventually wind up in the hands of people affiliated with gangs.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The vast majority of U.K. Police don't carry guns. Cops here are just trigger happy and scared. STOP hiring cowards as police.
They also do not deal with populations that has a high rate of violence, especially gun violence.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You left one detail out - he had the gun in his hands and dropped it a fraction of a second before the cop fired.
I corrected myself later on.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
The LA radio stations seem to be convinced this was an unarmed child and that the police killed him because he was non-white. Nothing to do with chasing someone who had likely just used the gun and was trying to escape.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The people in the SUV are just business as usual, using their own teens to shoot at the gang that shot at them and so on and so forth.

Yes, 75% (CPD estimates I've seen) of the shootings are gang related.

Wait for people to start demanding they stop using scattershot because it leads to violent police confrontations. (Sadly, I'm not joking).

There is needed police reform and lord knows Chicago is one of the worst offenders, but this latest shooting making a martyr out of the very predators that shoot up so many other young people ? Sigh.

Going to need an extra big push of "blame guns" out of Chicago leadership so they can pass the buck elsewhere yet again. Meanwhile, in Gold Coast and Lincoln Park...their invisible magic gun shield seems to be working pretty well.
There has been noise about scattershot since it was first engaged. Police reacted quickly: police response was 3 minutes.

2:35- Scattershot detects active gunfire

2:36- 911 records calls about gunfire

2:38- Police spot the 2 suspects

Likely if they arrived 15 seconds later, they would not have spotted the 2 and it would have remained just another random scattershot alert.

The Mayor yesterday said the city let Adam Toledo down. She was referring to the need for more diversion opportunities for at risk kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies