Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 04:59 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and WTF is a 13 year old, 7th grader doing out of the house, in an alley, with a gun, at 2:am???

I want to know...
and what did the Mother have to say about her sons where abouts ?

she either must not care, is totally dumb and has her head up her azzz....
but as a parent, how the e***** do you not know your 13 year old is NOT in the house.

shame on the mother, shame on her
The cops spent two days trying to identify him.

The kid had a habit of disappearing - his mother never reported him missing.

Horrible parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 05:01 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and WTF is a 13 year old, 7th grader doing out of the house, in an alley, with a gun, at 2:am???

I want to know...
and what did the Mother have to say about her sons where abouts ?

she either must not care, is totally dumb and has her head up her azzz....
but as a parent, how the e***** do you not know your 13 year old is NOT in the house.

shame on the mother, shame on her
Gang leaders convince these boys, threw guile, threat or intimidation, to pick up a gun and commit felony crimes. Telling them that even if they murder someone, they get out of prison at 18, and then will be respected and greatly rewarded by the gang.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:02 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The cops spent two days trying to identify him.

The kid had a habit of disappearing - his mother never reported him missing.

Horrible parenting.
Really sad when you are dead and cold and your mom isn't even looking for you. I've read about this exact things more than a few times. Days after the kid is dead, mom finally looks for him.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:24 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We used to call this trigger happy. The cop could have protected himself without killing the 13yr old.
Please elaborate how the cop could have protected himself against someone shooting at him.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
he had a flashlight on the kid, the kid turned around with his hands up as he was instructed to do. He can't be shot after that. He just can't. Check my history on these cases here, the narrative of cops hunting black men is BS. But ..you can't reach for a taser and pull a gun instead and shoot someone. And you can't shoot a kid with his hands clearly in the air. He had a bright flashlight on him and he was what, 15 feet away? It's just not good.
It's a hard call to make. This boy appears to been very criminally inclined so even though I think the shooting could be borderline, I'm going to give the benefit to the cop. I didn't see the gun the kid was ditching but he appeared very suspicious and concerning in the 1-2 second process of ditching it before turning and revealing his empty hands.

That said, as a matter of principle and in general I don't like the idea of police shooting a citizen when there just isn't a weapon in the person's hand. Waiting that fraction of a second longer to identify what or at least if anything is in the subject's hand is added risk, but in general it has to be done. You can't transfer all the risk of being shot on to the public.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's a hard call to make. This boy appears to been very criminally inclined so even though I think the shooting could be borderline, I'm going to give the benefit to the cop. I didn't see the gun the kid was ditching but he appeared very suspicious and concerning in the 1-2 second process of ditching it before turning and revealing his empty hands.

That said, as a matter of principle and in general I don't like the idea of police shooting a citizen when there just isn't a weapon in the person's hand. Waiting that fraction of a second longer to identify what or at least if anything is the subject's hand is added risk, but in general it has to be done. You can't transfer all the risk of being shot on to the public.
He had a gun.

The cop knew he had a gun.

The kid was in the process of turning around with the gun in his hand and then he threw it.

If he hadn't have tossed the gun and the cop waited, it's entirely possible that the cop would be dead.

And I won't apologize for saying that in this case, if it had to be one or the other, the right one is dead.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:18 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We used to call this trigger happy. The cop could have protected himself without killing the 13yr old.
Maybe. But I was reading a bullet can be twice as fast as sound. It’s possible he fired before you hear it on the video, while the kid was turning.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-16-2021, 06:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,613 times
Quote:
No.

The cop had a literal split second to make a judgement call - I will guarantee you in his head it was either the person with the gun or him.

He made the right and justifiable decision.

The only person I feel sorry for is the cop.

And I am completely disgusted by the OBVIOUS bias of the majority of the media reporting that the Chgo cop shot an unarmed kid with his hands up. It's disingenuous and outright dangerous - it's horrible and false reporting that only inflames the entire situation.

Yeah, the reporting on this shooting in the mainstream press is atrocious. They care about narratives not truth. After Trump was elected, the liberal press mentally broke and went the way of Fox News. Now we dont have a trustworthy, honest press in this country anymore. Every time I read a news article these days, all I see are spin doctors, propogandists, and ideology pushers, both left & right.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
He had a gun.

The kid was in the process of turning around with the gun in his hand and then he threw it.

If he hadn't have tossed the gun and the cop waited, it's entirely possible that the cop would be dead.

And I won't apologize for saying that in this case, if it had to be one or the other, the right one is dead.
I'm just telling you what I can see in the unedited body cam video. It's evident the kid is concealing or ditching something for about 2 seconds that we know is a gun before turning and revealing his emptied hands but I can't ever see the gun in the video, that some say is seen and it doesn't seem to me the cop actually saw a gun but understandably suspected it.

Anyway, I'm certainly not justifying this kid. I said he looked suspicious and alarming when he was ditching the gun, and I'm not totally faulting the cop, but I like to see there is a weapon identified in hand and don't see it.

https://www.chicagocopa.org/case/2021-1112/

Last edited by mtl1; 04-16-2021 at 06:45 PM..

Old 04-16-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm just telling you what I can see in the unedited body cam video. It's evident the kid is concealing or ditching something for about 2 seconds that we know is a gun before turning and revealing his hands but I can't ever see the gun in the video, that some say is seen and it doesn't seem to me the cop actually saw a gun but understandably suspected it.

Anyway, I'm certain not justifying this kid. I said he looked suspicious and alarming when he was ditching the gun, and I'm not totally faulting the cop, but I like to see there is a weapon identified in hand and don't see it.

https://www.chicagocopa.org/case/2021-1112/

He told him to drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies