Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

In the meantime, the city once again braces for all hell to break loose, given the agitation in the streets. Mother pleads fir peace. Guess she does not realize the reaction has nothing to do with her son.

CPD is on high alert. Many businesses on/ near Michigan Ave are boarding up windows. City is ready to raise bridges and strategically position garbage trucks as barriers.

I hope the state Natl Guard are on standby to support CPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 01:03 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The LA radio stations seem to be convinced this was an unarmed child and that the police killed him because he was non-white. Nothing to do with chasing someone who had likely just used the gun and was trying to escape.
The family viewed the video on Tuesday and did not want it public - and they were pretty much silent on the content til it was actually released by COPA.

Speculation on Chgo talk radio was that it did not show the 13 year old in the best light - and they were right.

It's unfortunate that media outlets are fanning the flames.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:21 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Here's the big problem with the media:

https://www.marieclaire.com/politics...lice-shooting/

Quote:
On March 29, police in Chicago, Illinois chased 13-year old Adam Toledo down an alley and shot him, killing the unarmed seventh grader as he raised his hands. The recently released body camera footage shows police demanding that the young boy show them his hands. When he does, the cops fired.
Zero mention of a gun at all.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/15/98771...ld-adam-toledo

Quote:
The boy, who is standing near a wooden fence, appears to stop, and at 2 minutes and 3 seconds, the officer commands, "Hands. Show me your f***ing hands!"

Toledo starts to turn to face the officer with his hands up, both empty.

A second later, the officer says, "Drop it," and quickly fires a single gunshot.
Again, NO mention of Toledo having a gun in his hand.

At this point, the media needs to be held criminally responsible for damage from any and all protests that happen as a result of their reporting.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:42 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Here's the big problem with the media:

https://www.marieclaire.com/politics...lice-shooting/

Zero mention of a gun at all.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/15/98771...ld-adam-toledo

Again, NO mention of Toledo having a gun in his hand.

At this point, the media needs to be held criminally responsible for damage from any and all protests that happen as a result of their reporting.
And from USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...an/7250455002/

"CHICAGO – Outcry is growing after a watchdog agency released disturbing video Thursday of a Chicago police officer shooting 13-year-old Adam Toledo who appeared to have his hands up, casting doubt on prior accounts from police and city officials who initially described the incident as an "armed confrontation." "

Not only does not mention a gun, but implies there never was one.

I am sure there are plenty more examples.

At this point, I think some of these "news" organizations should have such status revoked, and classified as political activists organizations. They are not journalists, they are activists.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:01 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
From the OP link, quote for his mother (my italics) on the GoFundMe page:

"Adam had many dreams that he will never get to live out," Elizabeth Toledo, Adam's mother, wrote in a GoFundMe page. "Ironically one of his dreams was to become a police officer."

Toledo wrote that "another angel gained his wings way to soon." Adam enjoyed playing with legos and telling jokes, she wrote.

Mama's little darling was out at 2:30 a.m. carrying a gun, but maybe he was just practicing for his future career as a police officer. (Yeah, right.)

It seems to me that Mama was either totally clueless and/or is trying to spin her son's death into an opportunity for profit. Either way, I don't think she will be a candidate for "Mother of the Year."

Old 04-16-2021, 02:03 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And from USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...an/7250455002/

"CHICAGO – Outcry is growing after a watchdog agency released disturbing video Thursday of a Chicago police officer shooting 13-year-old Adam Toledo who appeared to have his hands up, casting doubt on prior accounts from police and city officials who initially described the incident as an "armed confrontation." "

Not only does not mention a gun, but implies there never was one.

I am sure there are plenty more examples.

At this point, I think some of these "news" organizations should have such status revoked, and classified as political activists organizations. They are not journalists, they are activists.
This is crazy! It’s almost like they are doing this on purpose. They make it seem like he was just your everyday 13 yr old going on his daily 2:30 stroll and playing with his r/c cars while singing the latest Disney theme song.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:04 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Not only does not mention a gun
No that article does mention the gun, it says this:

Quote:
Surveillance video filmed from across a parking lot, also released Thursday, shows Adam tossing what appeared to be a gun behind the fence before turning toward Stillman.
So they are saying he tossed the gun before he turned to face the officer.

This is the critical question imo, if he had the gun in his hand when he turned, then clearly it's a justified shot. If not, then it's questionable.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:13 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No that article does mention the gun, it says this:

So they are saying he tossed the gun before he turned to face the officer.

This is the critical question imo, if he had the gun in his hand when he turned, then clearly it's a justified shot. If not, then it's questionable.
No, the quoted statement implied no gun, which is what I was addressing, then the part you quoted said "tossed behind the fence.." which was not what happened either, not what happened the way they described it, basically spinning it.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:16 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
No, the quoted statement implied no gun
Your post implied the entire article did not mention the gun, which was false.

The gun was mentioned, but in a different context.

Assessing which of those contexts is correct will be the important point.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:22 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
The thing is we are doing Monday morning quarterbacking. Like when we can see a holding call that the ref didn't catch. The ref is watching in real time with no idea on whats going to happen next. We are watching, pausing, rewinding, zooming in, and everything else and go all day to decide.

That cop couldn't replay the scene in his mind multiple times, slow it down, zoom in, rewind, etc. and thing decide to shoot or don't shoot. He has to make the decision right then in the fraction of a second. The wrong decision could cost him his life.

I love reading the comments on FB. "Well, if i slow it down and zoom in, I can clearly see he didn't have the gun anymore!". NO $%&# Sherlock. How about you try doing that in real time why running and possibly getting shot at.
This should end the discussion (I know it won't) right here. Excellent post. Wish I could rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies