Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 02:22 PM

31,018 posts, read 22,059,932 times

Advertisements

Chicago, let it die a slow Democrat death. Sad, but they voted for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 03:04 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,402 times
My dad is a retired cop. It bothers me when the media pushes “unarmed”. At least they aren’t doing it on this case too much. Unarmed doesn’t mean you won’t get shot. If a cop tells you to freeze and you reach in your pocket, you will probably get shot. If you break in my house and I catch you and you start reaching in your bag, I ain’t waiting to see what exactly you are reaching for. The term “unarmed” is kind of misleading.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:07 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
My dad is a retired cop. It bothers me when the media pushes “unarmed”. At least they aren’t doing it on this case too much. Unarmed doesn’t mean you won’t get shot. If a cop tells you to freeze and you reach in your pocket, you will probably get shot. If you break in my house and I catch you and you start reaching in your bag, I ain’t waiting to see what exactly you are reaching for. The term “unarmed” is kind of misleading.
Did you read the links on the last page I posted? Or that the other poster did?

NPR, USA Today, etc.

Saying the cop shot an unarmed boy with his hands up.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:53 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
right. So I can run into a store with a gun, shoot 20 people, then just as the cops are about to shoot me, drop the gun, now I'm unarmed!!!

The spin on this story is despicable. And if you REALLY want to her crazy, go see some of the viewpoints on these incident on Reddit. My god do a lot of people have a vitriolic emotional irrational hatred of cops out there. It's really like a collective psychosis or mass hysteria.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:59 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
This is a tough one. I watched the body cam. It’s the opposite of most shootings where the cop seems justified in shooting then the cop just farts around while the person bleeds to death. The kid did have a gun. He also did have his hands up when he was shot. But the interval was short. The cop tried his best afterwards to help him.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-16-2021, 04:45 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is a tough one. I watched the body cam. It’s the opposite of most shootings where the cop seems justified in shooting then the cop just farts around while the person bleeds to death. The kid did have a gun. He also did have his hands up when he was shot. But the interval was short. The cop tried his best afterwards to help him.
We used to call this trigger happy. The cop could have protected himself without killing the 13yr old.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:53 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
We used to call this trigger happy. The cop could have protected himself without killing the 13yr old.
No.

The cop had a literal split second to make a judgement call - I will guarantee you in his head it was either the person with the gun or him.

He made the right and justifiable decision.

The only person I feel sorry for is the cop.

And I am completely disgusted by the OBVIOUS bias of the majority of the media reporting that the Chgo cop shot an unarmed kid with his hands up. It's disingenuous and outright dangerous - it's horrible and false reporting that only inflames the entire situation.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:55 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
From the OP link, quote for his mother (my italics) on the GoFundMe page:

"Adam had many dreams that he will never get to live out," Elizabeth Toledo, Adam's mother, wrote in a GoFundMe page. "Ironically one of his dreams was to become a police officer."

Toledo wrote that "another angel gained his wings way to soon." Adam enjoyed playing with legos and telling jokes, she wrote.

Mama's little darling was out at 2:30 a.m. carrying a gun, but maybe he was just practicing for his future career as a police officer. (Yeah, right.)

It seems to me that Mama was either totally clueless and/or is trying to spin her son's death into an opportunity for profit. Either way, I don't think she will be a candidate for "Mother of the Year."

and WTF is a 13 year old, 7th grader doing out of the house, in an alley, with a gun, at 2:am???

I want to know...
and what did the Mother have to say about her sons where abouts ?

she either must not care, is totally dumb and has her head up her azzz....
but as a parent, how the e***** do you not know your 13 year old is NOT in the house.

shame on the mother, shame on her

Old 04-16-2021, 04:57 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No.

The cop had a literal split second to make a judgement call - I will guarantee you in his head it was either the person with the gun or him.

He made the right and justifiable decision.

The only person I feel sorry for is the cop.

And I am completely disgusted by the OBVIOUS bias of the majority of the media reporting that the Chgo cop shot an unarmed kid with his hands up. It's disingenuous and outright dangerous - it's horrible and false reporting that only inflames the entire situation.
Agreed, the boy had the gun in his hand, and a split second later spins around.

It's tragic. Firstly because gangs are talking young boys into picking up guns to commit murder, and secondly because he was too young to realize the danger he presented to the officer. A few more years of experience and the boy would have frozen, slowly raised his hands when told to, then slowly and deliberately followed every direction from the officer.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:59 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
This is crazy! It’s almost like they are doing this on purpose. They make it seem like he was just your everyday 13 yr old going on his daily 2:30 stroll and playing with his r/c cars while singing the latest Disney theme song.

On The Munsters, Lilly says: Don't all young boys howl at the moon???

and don't all 13 year old boys "stroll" around down alleys at 2AM???

I agree, this was not an everyday young boy thing, I should know, I had 3 young boys, and trust me, at 13, they were in bed....NOT out.

Shame on the Mother, shame on her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies