Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So we should just assume all BLM rioters breaking into police stations and other government and private buildings are going to harm the people inside and should be shot?
Take your whataboutism to the appropriate thread. This isn't it.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:55 AM

17,420 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Once again, what would have happened if they didn't stop her? There was a mob behind her just waiting to follow. Should they just have let them all through, even with lawmakers still vulnerable on the other side?
What would've happened if Daunte hadn't been stopped when he started resisting?

He had an active warrant, was in a 3000 pound vehicle, had a potential hostage and possibly a weapon.

The entire community was vulnerable.

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I think both bear some responsibility for putting themselves in such a position. I think deadly force was NOT called for in either case. I am a liberal who has written in this forum against cases of police-on-black excessive force. I agree with the OP that in this case there is a double standard: the officer that killed Babbitt should stand trial.
I almost never agree with you, but completely do here. I'm kind surprised at the objectivity and no double standard.

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
He posed a HUGE threat to the community if he was allowed to flee.

He had a hostage. He potentially had a weapon. Was he on drugs? He had an active warrant and fleeing put the entire community in danger.

He deliberately made the decision to flee and his intentions were potentially nefarious.

Who said I wanted to treat her "like some poor little white woman who was unfairly taken down by overzealous cops."? That's pretty racist, actually. I've never said that - in fact, I've said she was stupid.

What I have said though is that if people are you are going to pick a side, at least be consistent.
He didn't pose a threat. He should have complied with the police, trying to run was stupid, but he was not some major criminal on a crime spree.

She was part of a mob storming the Capitol. She was climbing in through a broken window. The mob was already violent, hence the bashed in doors, and broken windows. The mob had already made threats against legislators and the Vice President. She posed a threat.

Both deaths are tragedies. But they don't really compare.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I think both bear some responsibility for putting themselves in such a position. I think deadly force was NOT called for in either case. I am a liberal who has written in this forum against cases of police-on-black excessive force. I agree with the OP that in this case there is a double standard: the officer that killed Babbitt should stand trial.
I agree.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:57 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Good point! 2A defenders are quick to assert the Castle Doctrine, which says that anyone who breaks into your home is fair game to be repelled with deadly force. Congress was in session; the Capitol is their castle; Babbitt was in the act of breaking and entering, as part of a crowd intent on disrupting the election at best or kidnapping elected officials at worse. If we apply this same logic then use of deadly force on Babbitt was fully justified.
Are you trolling? What point are you trying to make? You seem to be saying the police and store owners need to start shooting the antifa and BLM rioters who break into their buildings.

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Take your whataboutism to the appropriate thread. This isn't it.
It's not whataboutism. It's about having one standard of justified killing which liberals don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He didn't pose a threat. He should have complied with the police, trying to run was stupid, but he was not some major criminal on a crime spree.

She was part of a mob storming the Capitol. She was climbing in through a broken window. The mob was already violent, hence the bashed in doors, and broken windows. The mob had already made threats against legislators and the Vice President. She posed a threat.

Both deaths are tragedies. But they don't really compare.
Again, Daunte had an active warrant, had a potential hostage, may have had a gun - he posed a threat to the community at large if he was allowed to get in that car and leave.

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
After she was shot, the armed officer standing right next to her and the one standing right behind her looked in total shock. That's one reason I think the shooter was a rogue cop who also endangered the other officers. Anyway, back to the OP's point, we don't know who shot her and that is very odd. I don't think anyone is saying she wasn't guilty, folks are just questioning why we don't know the name of the cop. They put all the other shooter cops under the microscope.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Total nonsense. He could've very easily warned her, moved toward the window and blocked her, shoved her back down from the window, pulled her through and detained or arrested her etc. There was any number of things he could've done like every other officer in the Capitol besides take a near sniper shot from a hall doorway.
If she hadn't been part of a mob. But she was part of a mob, storming the Capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies