Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2021, 10:00 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not whataboutism. It's about having one standard of justified killing.
None of the black victims of excessive police force were in the act of breaking and entering like Babbitt was.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:02 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He didn't pose a threat. He should have complied with the police, trying to run was stupid, but he was not some major criminal on a crime spree.

She was part of a mob storming the Capitol. She was climbing in through a broken window. The mob was already violent, hence the bashed in doors, and broken windows. The mob had already made threats against legislators and the Vice President. She posed a threat.

Both deaths are tragedies. But they don't really compare.
Violent eh? All they were doing was breaking a glass door when she was shot. There was no imminent threat or harm to anyone. BLM and antifa rioters routinely break windows as a prelude to more violence, looting and arson, before they start hurling bricks at the police, and yet police are not shooting them dead.
The capital police did not even attempt to use non lethal means, the first thing they did was to shoot people dead.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Again, Daunte had an active warrant, had a potential hostage, may have had a gun - he posed a threat to the community at large if he was allowed to get in that car and leave.
An active warrant for a no-show. And his girlfriend was in the car with him. He didn't have a gun. He didn't pose much of a threat at all.

I think the police were right to try to detain him. I think the officer who shot him did so by mistake. It's a tragedy for him and his family and for the officer who spent her life serving the community.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:06 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
He didn't pose a threat. He should have complied with the police, trying to run was stupid, but he was not some major criminal on a crime spree.

She was part of a mob storming the Capitol. She was climbing in through a broken window. The mob was already violent, hence the bashed in doors, and broken windows. The mob had already made threats against legislators and the Vice President. She posed a threat.

Both deaths are tragedies. But they don't really compare.
He posed more of threat than Ashli, criminals do try to harm or kill police and others to escape. I agree neither was an imminent deadly threat when killed. The difference is the first was an accidental killing and the officer was swiftly fired and prosecuted, the other was an intentional killing and the officer is being completely shielded.

And being in a "mob" at the Capitol is not aggravating factors. It just makes her part of an unruly protest. So should all unruly protesters be subjected to being summarily shot or just white conservative protesters? Your double standards are as bright as the sun but you can't see them.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:08 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
What would've happened if Daunte hadn't been stopped when he started resisting?

He had an active warrant, was in a 3000 pound vehicle, had a potential hostage and possibly a weapon.

The entire community was vulnerable.
You have absolutely no defense for Babbitt so your only resort is to flip to whataboutism.

But it's okay, I get it. You couldn't answer my questions about Babbitt because the answers are obvious. She was there to overturn an election and the MAGAs absolutely wanted her to break through that line so she and the mob behind her could reach their intended targets, who were right behind that barrier. And they are upset that she was prevented from doing that.

Again, no one should be fooled about why the MAGAs are upset. By stopping Babbitt they stopped the mob from reaching the lawmakers, which is what the MAGAs wanted them to do.

But I'm sure Ashli and the mob would have been polite and non-threatening to the Senators and Congress people if they had succeeded in reaching them, right?

Old 04-15-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Violent eh? All they were doing was breaking a glass door when she was shot. There was no imminent threat or harm to anyone. BLM and antifa rioters routinely break windows as a prelude to more violence, looting and arson, before they start hurling bricks at the police, and yet police are not shooting them dead.
The capital police did not even attempt to use non lethal means, the first thing they did was to shoot people dead.
OMG. Sanity check.

The MOB was storming the Capitol. They posed an imminent threat to the legislators in the Capitol and to the officers protecting the Capitol.

The rioters this past summer were violent and were in the wrong. I don't support them at all.

The Capitol police did attempt non-lethal means. Obviously. To any rational human being. A mob was attacking them, and only one police officer shot someone. That someone was climbing in through a smashed window. That someone was a part of a mob, with people following her. She was an imminent threat.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
He posed more of threat than Ashli, criminals do try to harm or kill police and others to escape. I agree neither was an imminent deadly threat when killed. The difference is the first was an accidental killing and the officer was swiftly fired and prosecuted, the other was an intentional killing and the officer is being completely shielded.

And being in a "mob" at the Capitol is not aggravating factors. It just makes her part of an unruly protest. So should all unruly protesters be subjected to being summarily shot or just white conservative protesters? Your double standards are as bright as the sun but you can't see them.
A mob smashing windows and doors to get into the Capitol and disrupt the legislature is not an "unruly protest."

I've never argued that any protesters be summarily shot.

Do you resort to asserting double standards, when double standards aren't evidenced, just because you don't have a good argument?

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
An active warrant for a no-show. And his girlfriend was in the car with him. He didn't have a gun. He didn't pose much of a threat at all.

I think the police were right to try to detain him. I think the officer who shot him did so by mistake. It's a tragedy for him and his family and for the officer who spent her life serving the community.
They had no idea if he had a gun at that time. The girlfriend could have ended up as a hostage.

As soon as he started resisting and started to flee, he became a danger. And if allowed to flee, he would then become a danger to the community.

I also think it was a tragic mistake - I also think the Ashli Babbitt case was a tragedy that didn't need to happen.

But the double standard is RAGING in this thread. Both Daunte and Ashli made a series of errors that put them on a trajectory that ended up with both of them dead - they both hold some accountability for what happened to them.

The truth is though, that if Ashli would've been black & 1/6/21 had been a BLM protest, the majority of these posters would've been throwing out the same argument that they give for Daunte and calling for the DC cop to be arrested immediately.

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
OMG. Sanity check.

The MOB was storming the Capitol. They posed an imminent threat to the legislators in the Capitol and to the officers protecting the Capitol.

The rioters this past summer were violent and were in the wrong. I don't support them at all.

The Capitol police did attempt non-lethal means. Obviously. To any rational human being. A mob was attacking them, and only one police officer shot someone. That someone was climbing in through a smashed window. That someone was a part of a mob, with people following her. She was an imminent threat.
They're mad because the mob wasn't allowed to break through and get to the lawmakers. That is what this is about. They wanted blood and they got it, it just wasn't the blood they were after.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:14 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
None of the black victims of excessive police force were in the act of breaking and entering like Babbitt was.
LOL that's because police don't shoot black protesters for just breaking into buildings. That would be considered excessive force and gets the officers fired and prosecuted. But an officer intentional shot Ashli for that and that's okay because she's not democrat VIP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies