Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2023, 06:26 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that there were liberals in the Union Army... starting with the commander in chief of the Union Army, who was, of course, pragmatic liberal of his day, Abe Lincoln.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:28 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I wasn't there. I guess I'll have to take your word for it...
I'll just give my view on this. There are some who are very pro-Confederate. Those who sympathize with the Confederacy. For that reason, I expect that there are those who won't speak in good faith. I'm sure there were some anti-Black persons in the Union Army. However, the Confederate cause was about making sure the institution of slavery stayed.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:28 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times
Antiquated ideology combined with antiquated arms, does not an army make.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:23 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What voter suppression? You mean wanting voters to prove that they are citizens? Is that what you call voter suppression?

Abortion has been returned to the states where it belongs.

Utter BS! Trump cut taxes for everyone.

Yet the Democrats did away with/banned Aunt Jemima, etc. and tore down historical statues. What civil rights are being denied women and gays by the Republicans?

Jan. 6th wasn't a Republican party thing in general it was a mere fraction of conservatives and there was no way that a few hundred kooks protesting and getting out of hand could overthrow an election.

You and yours need to get a grip and look at your own failed party and president.
What a crock.

Abortion is being rammed through by Republicans all over the place. Women's rights to their own body is not a state issue. It's a civil rights issue. In any case, it's Republicans pushing it and hard to see how any tweaking of the message is going to change that.

Trump tax cuts were significant and permanent for the wealthy, small and temporary for everyone else. Tax cuts for the common folk had an experation date.

What does Aunt Jemima have to do with any of this, or tearing down statues of traitors who murdered thousands of fellow Americans in their unsuccessful attempt to split the nation?

Jan 6th was indeed a Republican thing. It was instigated by a Republican President, and supported by Republican politicians. The only two Republicans who spoke up against it are now out of office. So don't give me that nonsense, Old Glory. Not going to fly.
Nasty talk about Democrats is a a constant message from Republicans. Not sure there's any tweaking to be done here either.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:24 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll just give my view on this. There are some who are very pro-Confederate. Those who sympathize with the Confederacy. For that reason, I expect that there are those who won't speak in good faith. I'm sure there were some anti-Black persons in the Union Army. However, the Confederate cause was about making sure the institution of slavery stayed.
Alexander Stephens was quite specific about what the Confederacy stood for in his Cornerstone Speech. It was underscored in the Articles of Secession from each state that spelled out the reason was slavery.

This is not opinion, but a matter of history from source documents. Likewise the political beliefs of the Liberal Republicans who supported abolition of slavery and the conservative Democrats who were the slave owners who supported the Confederacy.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 474,417 times
Wouldn't work for the simple reason that you'd probably have the federal government blockade any efforts at international recognition just like what Lincoln did with the southern states back in the 1800s. I think it was pretentious of him and those around him to argue that somehow the United States exists as a timeless paragon absent the realities of what history has demonstrated with nations whereby its territorial integrity is somehow reducibly unchangeable. Still, I don't think the prospect of those areas becoming states warrants the advocacy of secession. The formation of states carved out of places like California? I can see the demand for it increasing significantly in the hopes of offsetting what's obviously a politically motivated effort at self-entrenchment.

Now putting that aside I can understand the apprehension of a desire that many seem to have with hegemonising this country under a single party. It speaks to a myopic absence of appreciation of what the socio-political ramifications would entail there. Well that and also the implication that the people who 'vote' for said party are so fundamentally entrenched in supporting them that no matter what they'll always vote for the party no matter how damaging or astray things may become.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:53 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,209,244 times
Jeeeeeeeeeebuz... do we have to fight the civil all over war again? I'm so tired from last time around and I'm still picking musket balls out of my hinder .... the festering is so painful!

Old 04-26-2023, 08:57 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
No.

Just no.

I don’t understand what is it about some people. Getting so passionate that you want to secede because of mere politics is such a foreign way for me to think. There’s a wee bit more to life than what you’ll hear from political pundits.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:59 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Threaten? Let's just go ahead and secede. Let the Democrats have the cop-free, fossil fuel free, sanity free, baby-killing totalitarian society they want.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:09 PM

4,393 posts, read 1,702,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Threaten? Let's just go ahead and secede. Let the Democrats have the cop-free, fossil fuel free, sanity free, baby-killing totalitarian society they want.
Just leave already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies