Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 05:35 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,514,758 times

Advertisements

I still have a field I can't plow due to live ordnance. Live ordnance was found in a Petersburg VA back yard in 2021. (In 2008 a man died from live ordnance from the Civil War - but he had taken it home and was trying to get inside of it.) It took the south 100 years to recover from the last attempt and that was after over 50,000 southern civilians died mostly from famine and disease. As we saw after the American Revolution, factions developed immediately - those who supported the Articles of Confederation and those who wanted the new Constitution. Then after the approval of the latter, again, factions developed into political parties. Even the Confederate government was divided by factions with GA and NC openly debating whether to rejoin the Union, the Davis government had become so onerous. For those who want a civil war, they should look at how destructive they are.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:20 AM

62,982 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What a crock.

Abortion is being rammed through by Republicans all over the place. Women's rights to their own body is not a state issue. It's a civil rights issue. In any case, it's Republicans pushing it and hard to see how any tweaking of the message is going to change that.

Trump tax cuts were significant and permanent for the wealthy, small and temporary for everyone else. Tax cuts for the common folk had an experation date.

What does Aunt Jemima have to do with any of this, or tearing down statues of traitors who murdered thousands of fellow Americans in their unsuccessful attempt to split the nation?

Jan 6th was indeed a Republican thing. It was instigated by a Republican President, and supported by Republican politicians. The only two Republicans who spoke up against it are now out of office. So don't give me that nonsense, Old Glory. Not going to fly.
Nasty talk about Democrats is a a constant message from Republicans. Not sure there's any tweaking to be done here either.
It's not a crock it's the truth!

Once again, a woman has rights to her own body prior to engaging in sex not after conceiving a human life. There is no excuse when there is birth control or abstinence if one is so afraid of getting pregnant. If her life is in danger by being pregnant or by giving birth then abortion should be allowed. If it's rape or incest abortion should be an exception to based on her mental state.

Once again, Trump gave tax cuts to everyone and that's the bottom line.

You said that the right are banning things. The left changed the names of several products and for no good reason. Doesn't matter what these historical figures did or didn't do they are a part of our history and the left had no right to tear down statues of them.

No, Jan. 6th was a MAGA thing not an entire Republican party thing. Many Republicans didn't like Trump and accepted the election results and had no desire to participate in that protest. You can remain in denial all you want but that's the truth!

Lol, the Democrats don't talk nasty about the Republicans to? Gimmee a break! Are you serious?

Old 04-27-2023, 06:27 AM

62,982 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Threaten? Let's just go ahead and secede. Let the Democrats have the cop-free, fossil fuel free, sanity free, baby-killing totalitarian society they want.
Agreed. Why are the leftist posters in here so concerned about how we will fend for ourselves? It would be up to us to work it out. They don't need to know how we could do it but yet they keep asking. They hate us so what's the problem? You'd think they would happy to get rid of us but they seem all concerned about us doing so. Maybe it's them that need us instead of the other way around? I don't know what else to make of it.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm not a republican. I simply believe in what I consider to be right, and support the candidate that best represents my beliefs. There were times in my young adult life when I supported democrats because I believed wholeheartedly that they had the best interests of the workers in mind. Those days are long gone. I still believe that working class Americans deserve a political party that looks out for their best interests. Today's republican party obviously does not want to be that party. Unfortunately, today's democrat party seems no more interested in that responsibility.

FWIW, roughly half of my family members are supporters of the democrat party, and I believe in many of the things they believe, especially as it pertains to the American working class. But I think they are being mislead and misrepresented by today's chaotic, dysfunctional democratic party that only seems to be working to gain absolute power. Many of today's democrats do not seem to value the American worker, and seem to think they are losers.
So what did Trump actually do for his working class supporters?
Seems to me the only legislation during his administration was tax cuts for the wealthy.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:45 AM

73,046 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Alexander Stephens was quite specific about what the Confederacy stood for in his Cornerstone Speech. It was underscored in the Articles of Secession from each state that spelled out the reason was slavery.

This is not opinion, but a matter of history from source documents. Likewise the political beliefs of the Liberal Republicans who supported abolition of slavery and the conservative Democrats who were the slave owners who supported the Confederacy.
We both know this. We both know what the Confederate cause is about. A.H. Stephens said so. And he wasn't the only one. Founder of the Savannah Morning News, William Tappan Thompson, said that this was about the South's "right" to keep slavery. He was also a big factor in how the Confederate flag was designed.

We both know what the Confederates were about. We know they weren't liberal by any stretch. They were trying to keep their status quo. This is why they wanted secession so bad. What I'm disturbed by is the idea of someone trying to point the Union as "they're not any better than the Confederates". Basically, I suspect that was done in not-so-good faith.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
It doesn't sound like you want the USA to be very united. Perhaps it is time to consider renouncing your citizenship and joining a nation that better represents your ideals?
you can’t see the truth in the argument; so deflect.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Threaten? Let's just go ahead and secede. Let the Democrats have the cop-free, fossil fuel free, sanity free, baby-killing totalitarian society they want.
Yes and keep all their tax money to themselves.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:54 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
They won't do it. They love the money and their precious careers in big gov just as much as democrats. Maybe more so. If push ever came to shove, the democrats would be the ones willing to secede, but so long as they have power in their back pockets, there is no need. Think about it... Democrats are willing to burn down their own cities for literally no reason at all. They don't value things like careers, unity and civilization quite as much as the republicans do.

It's difficult to decide who are the biggest losers in all this... Disorderly and destructive democrats or RINOs/Romneycrats.
^^^^This. The Establishment Republicans which represent most of the GOP are part of the UniParty, in bed with the Democrats, Bureaucracy, MIC and Deep State. They won't do a thing to end their Gravy Train, so look for more of this insanity until enough people get overwhelmingly upset and start a Civil War or Revolution. I'm not saying I'd advocate bloodshed, but that is the reality, sadly.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:02 AM

73,046 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I don't feel any urge for secession. I'm not thinking "we need to secede". In fact, hearing the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene call for secession just sounds very ridiculous to me.

Old 04-27-2023, 01:49 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Republicans continue to double down on voter suppression and gerrymandering because that's what works for them.

What could Republicans possibly tweak about their message that would have broader appeal?

The anti-abortion message is pretty clear. Not much room for tweaking there.

The "fiscal responsibility" message is a joke, and everyone knows it. All Republicans ever actually do is cut taxes for the rich and run the economy into the ground.

The claim about "protecting Constitutional freedoms" doesn't match up with the book banning, and continual attempts to take civil rights away from women, gay people, etc.

As to "election integrity," please. This is the party that did their best too overthrow the last Presidential election.What could they possible tweak here?
Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies