Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 12:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well I'm specifically asking about housing prices. If they're pretty much the same as they were before Covid, then there's nothing to write about
A Portland Realtor would have to weigh in for the best info, but ...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...68354068_zpid/

Here's a downtown condo. Dec 19, Zillow pegged it as worth $250K. Listed for sale Feb 26, and has since dropped the price to $202K. I don't know about PDX, but in my "less destructive protestors" (but we have them, and they do vandalize) downtown, they sell in less than a month and for 99% of list price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 12:24 PM

9,890 posts, read 4,656,637 times
Portland mayor threatened with violence. Was told if he doesn't resign there will blood on his hands possibly his own.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/30/fbi-pr...-mayor-report/

If you enable drug addicts, unemployed college students and political activists/radicals for years on end this is what happens. Escalation.

These anarchists literallty and figuratively fit the profile of drug addicts at this point because until someone intervenes their 'behavior' will only escalate. They will not stop on their own

Old 04-30-2021, 12:31 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Now look, the last citi-data crime index for Portland is 431. For Tulsa it's higher at 570. You brought up Seattle. Its citi-data crime index is even lower at 397. Which city would you feel safer in? I sure don't think it would be Tulsa.

On the other hand, the citi-data crime index for the Red State city of Wichita is much lower at 290, but who on here would want to move there? It's even more ruler flat, treeless and boring than Tulsa. Further more, Kansas has just barely been able to attract more people to live there.
or, they can move and leave PDX behind, to Raleigh NC for a 165 index. Beaches and mountains 3 hrs away in either direction. 3 research universities, 3 HBCU's, a couple small private colleges. Employment across the spectrum except not much manufacturing.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
or, they can move and leave PDX behind, to Raleigh NC for a 165 index. Beaches and mountains 3 hrs away in either direction.
I live in California, I've got beaches 30 mins one way, mountains 30 mins the other. Raleigh is a sensory depravation chamber, and is way too boring for most people who've lived on the West Coast.

Re: Portland, my wife is a native and I used to love that city. It's not surprising that this would happen there, it's a collection of angry hipsters who don't have the skills to get jobs in Seattle or SF, but disturbing nonetheless.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:12 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
or, they can move and leave PDX behind, to Raleigh NC for a 165 index. Beaches and mountains 3 hrs away in either direction. 3 research universities, 3 HBCU's, a couple small private colleges. Employment across the spectrum except not much manufacturing.
Your area is beautiful (and walking around downtown Raleigh is interesting).

I spent much of a week there in December (stayed in Winston-Salem, and made day trips), and a week in January (stayed in Cary). My week in January was after a week staying overlooking the beach and ocean in Nags Head when, over a few days, I drove from the edge of the beach on Beach Access Road in Corolla (I don’t have a 4x4 vehicle) to the edge of the ferry ramp in Hatteras, and back.

The last time I was in Portland was a few years ago. That part along the Columbia River is beautiful, but I would never live, although both sides of the river have beautiful areas, on the Oregon side of the river .

Old 04-30-2021, 02:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
The masked, covered in black, anonymous “peaceful protesters” AKA Rioters, Looters, Vandals, Assaulters Anarchist Mobs have a leader and her name is Teressa Raiford, her radical, anarchist, violent organization is Don’t Shoot PDX her address (accurate?) can be found on the internet.

The remaining good citizens of Portland need to confront and challenge this woman and everyone involved in her organization which is dedicated to destroying Portland with every ounce and fervor (broken glass, destroyed property, shrieking noise makers) of the same kind of “peaceful protesting” that she espouses, encourages and who offers legal protection to the violent vandals, at her residence and wherever she goes. They should make her life and everyone who supports her utterly untenable. Does anyone really think that if she calls the police to protect her from the “peaceful protesters” against her that they will timely respond?

And vote out everyone like her who has allowed this anarchy to subsist for so long.

Then and only then might the city yet be saved.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:45 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
And today we drove through the Hollywood district where businesses were hopping, the houses were beautiful, people were out enjoying the sunshine, and you would have no idea there was so much of a mess downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies