Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Sorry, this is strictly a liberal/progressive problem and this SHARED responsibility BS is nothing but BS.

I’m in the Seattle area and conserving are without question the minority... So much that we don’t even protest for several reasons like our current Two Tier Justice System.

If you’re a liberal progressive democrat, you can basically get away with everything except for murder, but if you’re a conservative republic and YOU even protest peacefully... Truly peacefully and not the left’s version of “mostly peaceful’” the police, FBI and the National Guard will be sent to put down this “insurrection.”

To even blame or even try to link conservatives or republicans to the chaos in Seattle, Portland and all of California is simply disingenuous and IMHO, an attempt for one side to not take responsibility for their wrong doing or their “supports of wrong doing is now effecting them personally is a straight up lie.

One thing the left is good about is believing ALL their made up lies and excuses. Yes, a few right wing nut jobs did travel to Portland, but they’re not solely responsible for the 200 plus nights of rioting... That’s a lie and even to attempt to claim that those few criminals/idiots are a major part of the riots IS a act of disinformation and propaganda or in simpler terms, a bold face lie.

Liberals on the West Coast owns this chaos 100%... Period.

OP, I believe that you’re a good person, but you are a victim of your own liberal revisionist thinking... Please stop and look at ALL the cold hard facts without any emotions and you might be able to see the truth.
Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer, etc certainly are troublemakers in Portland too. Much more so than Seattle. Here at the rural/suburban divide in Vancouver/Battle Ground it's pretty much entirely those groups you see out protesting on the corner as many live here.

But yes that is largely because Portland was elevated to the world stage cage match style by the media because of the protests. The root of the problem in Portland is still not enforcing minor crimes which is entirely on the overwhelmingly Democrat leadership. I don't dispute that at all, they should be voted out. But an anarchist out destroying property is likely neither Democrat nor Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well I'm specifically asking about housing prices. If they're pretty much the same as they were before Covid, then there's nothing to write about
Our home value is up over $100k vs 2 years ago, but that's across the river. Values have been growing even faster in Portland metro itself.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:49 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Right, Left, Center, I'll support your right to peacefully assemble and express your 1A rights.

When we tip over into violence, I fully support law enforcement putting their foot in your ass.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:55 PM

4,910 posts, read 2,059,477 times
OP, I agree with most everything you’ve said, but simply voting out weak democrats and replacing them with weak or even weaker democrats isn’t the answer.

These areas need to decide if they will either allow the chaos to continue or to enforcement the laws and make arrests... But more important, prosecute criminals and violators a like in criminal court, followed by either jail or prison time.

What you are seeing is a failure of the justice system AROUND THE COUNTRY.

I’m a Center-Right person, who’s see himself as a Truman/Kennedy Democrat, but the democrats have moved way too far to the Left.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
No doubt people will continue to want to move to Portland every year by the 1000s just to enjoy the dang awesome mountain scenery led by gorgeous Mt. Hood and that is just for starters. Contrast that to Tulsa, which is regarded, by far, by outsiders as one of the most highly undesirable American cities you could ever move to. As a matter of FACT, Tulsa, in order to try to add to its population, has to resort to offer remote workers $10,000 if they will move there for at least a year. But who knows how many people would require being paid at least $1 million before they would agree to move to Tulsa?

Seriously, folks, can you ever imagine Portland having to resort to bribing people $10,000 in order to agree to move there? No way! Not once in a million and one years!? Yeah, I thought so! So, folks, please don't be bad mouthing Portland as a damned bad place to live when there are places like Tulsa! After all, in Tulsa, they hope you won't laugh off their Turkey Mountain when it hardly passes as a hill!

https://tulsaremote.com/

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-25-2021 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I want to move to Portland, said not one sane person on the planet.
You're so pitifully wrong. Hundreds, if not thousands of sane people are moving to Portland every month to take in the gorgeous scenery, while taking advantage of higher paying jobs.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Has Portland's housing prices been affected? If things are so bad, I should be able to purchase an entire city block for $200K.
Come on, get real. You can't buy an entire city block for $200K in Oklahoma even though it's regarded as one of the most highly undesirable of the states to move to. Yet, strangely enough, real estate prices have been going up in Oklahoma as well.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Portland was ruined by liberals, like so many other places and things.
If conservatives didn't ruin their ruby Red States, then please explain to us why hardly anybody wants to move there, such as Oklahoma and Kansas to name a couple of them?

Old 04-26-2021, 12:48 AM

Yeah, something to be said for that. If Democrat cities are where the jobs are and Wal-Mart is the biggest employer in many red states, they’re getting something right.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:58 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I’ve defended the protests here(while still calling for the violent offenders to be arrested). But we took a little driving tour around downtown for the first time in a few months and it’s gotten so bad. And the targets make no sense from any sort of social justice notion unlike the prior focus around the courthouse. Mercedes dealership, Tiffany store, Gucci? Those are all fine. Boys and Girls club, employment outreach offices, homeless missions, public parks and other things trying to help just a minute down the road...trashed. Even little mom and pop restaurants. Even the tone of the graffiti has changed with a lot of it calling out Ted Wheeler. It’s a marked difference from just last year.

While it’s been obvious it’s the anarchists not aligned to any real cause that are causing the real trouble. Something seems weird about the noticeable change in what is being targeted. The lack of enforcement of vandalism and petty crimes appears to have emboldened a new set of folks out to sow chaos. Which really isn’t a surprising result.

While we were already relocating this summer due to going to help out elderly parents starting to have health issues. It is sad to see this beautiful city we love so trashed. I hope they figure some way out of this mess. Not sure what that would be. Wheeler’s opponent last time was just an outright extremist. Neither cracking down nor appeasement had worked. Crossing the first amendment doesn’t work. Left, right, and anarchists are pissed. Needs a solid centrist that can rise about the division but I don’t know who that would be or where that would come from with the major political parties happy to just divide and drive extreme partisanship.
I have never been to Portland, but heard it was once clean, safe and a great town akin to Seattle, which I really liked to visit.

That said, your defense of the "protests" and not holding local and state politicians accountable for keeping the city/state safe for people and businesses, is part of the problem.
Undoubtedly, you will bring your progressive views and voting tendencies with you to wherever you are moving, not realizing like a carrier of a disease, you will help ruin the city/state you are moving to.
Just your rationalization of "Left, right, and anarchists needing a centrist" shows you have no clue, and are destined to support more such "protests" in whatever city you move into.

But hey, you are not alone, as looking at once great cities like Seattle, LA, San Francisco, Detroit, Baltimore, etc., with liberal/leftist Democrat governance for multiple decades, has brought upon those places.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies