Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 12:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

assemble peacefully and within the bounds of the law.

I'm not allowed to throw trash in the street.
I'm not allowed to scrawl graffiti.
I'm not allowed to break windows.
I'm not allowed to throw objects at people with the intent of harming them.
I'm not allowed to set fire to buildings.

None of those things prohibit me from personally standing on public property and screaming at the top of my lungs. From holding up a sign listing my grievances. To have a candlelight vigil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 12:13 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you love the first amendment just as much as the second, what’s the solution here? A hard crackdown on protesting is just as unpalatable as a gun seizure if you truly love our Constitution.
A hard crackdown on rioting does not violate the first amendment. People in Portland seem to have no idea where protesting ends and rioting begins.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:32 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Radicals on the right are here too and even travel from across the country to participate. And the new targets being hit now certainly aren’t ones that any actual liberal would go after. But the appeasement has allowed it to happen, no question. Reality is it’s mostly disaffected kids and young adults exploiting the cover of protests to get up to no good.

Where have you been the last 50 years?

The louder leftists scream, the better they are rewarded.

https://www.history.com/news/columbi...ccupation-1968

Old 04-25-2021, 12:38 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
assemble peacefully and within the bounds of the law.

I'm not allowed to throw trash in the street.
I'm not allowed to scrawl graffiti.
I'm not allowed to break windows.
I'm not allowed to throw objects at people with the intent of harming them.
I'm not allowed to set fire to buildings.

None of those things prohibit me from personally standing on public property and screaming at the top of my lungs. From holding up a sign listing my grievances. To have a candlelight vigil.
And if you’re in a crowd of people peacefully protesting and one person you have no affiliation with in the crowd throws something? Then in the chaos you get tear gassed?

Old 04-25-2021, 12:59 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Isn't the OP one of the people that was always saying how the right wing nutjobs were blowing things about Portland out of proportion and were exaggerating?

Old 04-25-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Isn't the OP one of the people that was always saying how the right wing nutjobs were blowing things about Portland out of proportion and were exaggerating?
Yes, things have escalated, recently. Property damage wise. Protests have died down.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:03 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Yes, things have escalated, recently. Property damage wise. Protests have died down.
I would hope that this does not surprise you. When it is clearly demonstrated that the laws will not be enforced, this encourages those who would like to do harm, but who had previously been restrained by fear of punishment, to come on out and have at it.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:05 PM

331 posts, read 182,411 times
I don't care if it makes sense or not as long as y'all keep that crap in Portland.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would hope that this does not surprise you. When it is clearly demonstrated that the laws will not be enforced, this encourages those who would like to do harm, but who had previously been restrained by fear of punishment, to come on out and have at it.
Yeah as I’ve said repeatedly those that are causing property damage and being violent should have been prosecuted. The lack of enforcement let those that likely don’t even bother to vote at all to act out without repercussion.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:27 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebs View Post
I don't care if it makes sense or not as long as y'all keep that crap in Portland.
cmon man, there is some of it everywhere. Just depends on the community if they are willing to put up with it. Arresting people and then immediately letting them out ...brilliant. They got down on their knees and asked for this, pretty please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies