Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 07:46 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times

Advertisements

“A Holiday Inn employee, later identified as "Caleb," appeared to hit himself repeatedly in the head before bashing the computer in front of him as a guest angrily chastised the worker for "stealing" his money, changing his reservation. The unnamed Holiday Inn worker in the now-viral video has become the center of a racial debate after it was framed as "white" versus "black" issue by self-proclaimed "race baiter" Tariq Nasheed. The employee framed the situation in a different light, posting on Reddit that he suffers from mental illness, prompting GoFundMe support as well as hundreds of posts offering solidarity.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...586771%3famp=1

Link to the article from Newsweek includes the video. It is sad and disturbing to watch.

The young man apparently suffers from bi-polar disorder. He claims that before the recording stared, Tariq Nasheed verbally bullied him. Nasheed seemed to have intentionally inflicted distress on this young man. ETA: it’s not 100 % clear if Nasheed filmed it or just posted it.

In addition, the person filming had been calling the clerk homophobic slurs (the clerk is in fact gay).

This makes me sick and angry.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-28-2021 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 07:52 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Well, someone with such a mental illness probably should not be in a customer service position like this.

Customers are rude, they do try to bait you, this has been going on since forever it seems, but at least since I moved to the US 30 years ago and among my first jobs was working customer service.

I do not have a mental illness, but understood quickly customer service is not for me.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:56 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Well, someone with such a mental illness probably should not be in a customer service position like this.

Customers are rude, they do try to bait you, this has been going on since forever it seems, but at least since I moved to the US 30 years ago and among my first jobs was working customer service.

I do not have a mental illness, but understood quickly customer service is not for me.
Well at least you managed to entirely focus on the *mistake* you feel the victim made.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well at least you managed to entirely focus on the *mistake* you feel the victim made.
Well, dealing with morons is part of customer service. If someone has a mental illness that will cause them to do this due to a stupid customer, then they probably should not be in the customer service industry. That is the reality of the situation. This guy perhaps should be in a position not dealing with customers, like cleaning.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Victim blaming. Nice.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
It is absolutely repulsive that the recorder of this video stuck it on social media in an effort to humiliate a person who is clearly struggling. That it was framed as a race issue is ridiculous. It was a being in the customer service industry sucks issues. I sincerely hope the filter is being castigated on social media for the slimy, cruel human he is proudly displaying himself to be.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Victim blaming. Nice.
Yes, I am blaming the victim. he has a mental illness, his illness causes such reactions when confronted with such stupidity. Customer service is full of such stupidity. He is in an industry that exposes himself to episodes of his mental illness.

He needs to leave the customer service industry.

That is reality.

You all think this is like some unique event or something? This stuff happens every day, for decades. My short time in customer service, I had blacks that would come in and say about every degrading thing to me they possibly could, and you just have to stand there and take it or be fired. It is part of customer service.

I hate it, I left the industry because I just hate customers, they are morons.

Just imagine someone that had mental issues being a cop, and first reaction is to beat the hell or shoot someone they were apprehending; should that person be a cop? Of course not. That is not victim blaming, that is reality.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is absolutely repulsive that the recorder of this video stuck it on social media in an effort to humiliate a person who is clearly struggling. That it was framed as a race issue is ridiculous. It was a being in the customer service industry sucks issues. I sincerely hope the filter is being castigated on social media for the slimy, cruel human he is proudly displaying himself to be.
Well said.

The cruelty is stunning. This is an example of everything that is wrong with our country now.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,159,573 times
Quote:
Yes, I am blaming the victim. he has a mental illness, his illness causes such reactions when confronted with such stupidity. Customer service is full of such stupidity. He is in an industry that exposes himself to episodes of his mental illness.

He needs to leave the customer service industry.

That is reality.

You all think this is like some unique event or something? This stuff happens every day, for decades. My short time in customer service, I had blacks that would come in and say about every degrading thing to me they possibly could, and you just have to stand there and take it or be fired. It is part of customer service.

I hate it, I left the industry because I just hate customers, they are morons.

Just imagine someone that had mental issues being a cop, and first reaction is to beat the hell or shoot someone they were apprehending; should that person be a cop? Of course not. That is not victim blaming, that is reality.
Disgusting.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:20 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
One should feel bad for the Hotel Worker, but in reality - he needs to seek mental help.

Can you imagine, if a child was standing there and saw that person - whacking himself like that?

I hope the money in the Gomefund, gets The Hotel Worker help. He needs it and the Person recording it, F Off for posting the Video, What a scumbag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies