Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 10:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Show me where I've called a fertilized egg a person. I'll say this for about the third time, I am not arguing 'personhood'. It is you who is arguing personhood must be achieved before a fetus deserves to live. And if the fertilized egg did not become 'you', who then? Someone else? I said your mothers fertilized egg was 'you'. That fertilized egg contained all the chromosomes and DNA that you and only you will ever possess. Contains all those unique and unchanging identifiers which will shape you and track you for the rest of your life. If that doesn't solidify your identity as to who you are, I don't know what does. I think the identity of who you are rather than than what you are is more important in the first weeks of development. Development will be everchanging through your entire life. Identity(DNA) will remain the same from conception to grave. Sure pick a number, any number. Only the one that satisfies you doesn't necessarily satisfy everyone else. Viabliliy?, Brain development? You mean these are not surprises but something you actually expect to happen? How about that.
You just trapped yourself. Again. Stop making this so easy for me.

You said you think the identity of “who” you are rather than “what” you are is more important in the first weeks of development. The definition of who: “what or which people”; used to introduce a clause giving further information about a person.

So you are in fact asserting that a fertilized egg is a person, and the point of your argument is quite simply and efficiently personhood.

And I continue to disagree. And based on the Law of Identity and basic observation of reality, there is no way a rational person could conclude that a fertilized egg is a person. But: a mystical person certainly could.

Why? Because arbitrary assertions is how mysticism works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 11:35 PM

1,929 posts, read 558,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You just trapped yourself. Again. Stop making this so easy for me.

You said you think the identity of “who” you are rather than “what” you are is more important in the first weeks of development. The definition of who: “what or which people”; used to introduce a clause giving further information about a person.

So you are in fact asserting that a fertilized egg is a person, and the point of your argument is quite simply and efficiently personhood.

And I continue to disagree. And based on the Law of Identity and basic observation of reality, there is no way a rational person could conclude that a fertilized egg is a person. But: a mystical person certainly could.

Why? Because arbitrary assertions is how mysticism works.
Where are we, in elementary school? Lets take a look at your 'gotcha' moment you have in blue.

Would it have been more appropriate to say 'the identity of "what" you are rather than "what" you are is more important'..........? No that wouldn't make any sense. Besides, the word "what" also means people in your definition.

I suppose I could have said 'the identity of you rather than the development of you is more important'.........., but that likely wouldn't have driven you to the dictionary to look up one word meanings.

Strange, of all the times I used the word "you" in relation to the fertilized egg, you never accused me of saying it was a person. In fact even now you are not accusing me of saying it was a person, but asserting so. Big whoop.

I am not concerned with your assertions. The context of my entire post proves your assertions false. I will let readers come to their own conclusion,

Out of the entire post, this is what you come up with?

Old 05-27-2021, 01:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It would reduce federal funding of abortions and abortion related services. That would be a good thing.
There is no federal funding for abortions.

Hyde Amendment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Amendment.

Last edited by ansible90; 05-27-2021 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 05-27-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Certainly any amounts to Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood does not do abortions. They provide counseling and referrals.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
It's part of the man's body too. It's his sperm in there that created the fetus that is 1/2 his. His body his choice. It's also a human life in there. Human life's body human life's choice. Oh wait, the man and the fetus don't have a say now do they?
If the man raped the woman, do you think he has a say?

Until a person has experienced pregnancy, he doesn't know what he is talking about. So no, he doesn't have a say.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:38 AM

Quote:
The equivalent to the mask mandates would be if women were mandated to get abortions. If that ever starts happening, we know who will be championing that effort also.
Wrong. Forcing a woman to go through 9 months of pregnancy and childbirth is a tremendous drain on the body. And a woman is never the same afterwards. (Examples: hemoroids or leaky bladder for life)

Old 05-27-2021, 02:25 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Planned Parenthood does not do abortions. They provide counseling and referrals.
"You can get an in-clinic abortion at many Planned Parenthood health centers. Our caring doctors and nurses are experts at providing safe abortion and providing support throughout the process."

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/le...linic-abortion

Old 05-27-2021, 03:19 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
One can only assume you don't actually believe that given all of the evidence...so what is your motivation for this untruth?

Old 05-27-2021, 03:21 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
If the man raped the woman, do you think he has a say?

Until a person has experienced pregnancy, he doesn't know what he is talking about. So no, he doesn't have a say.
You are right, he doesn't. But a father absolutely should get a say in whether his son or daughter is killed. And please don't go with the rapist trope. Do you know what percentage of abortions are of children conceived in rape?

Old 05-27-2021, 05:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You are right, he doesn't. But a father absolutely should get a say in whether his son or daughter is killed. And please don't go with the rapist trope. Do you know what percentage of abortions are of children conceived in rape?
Most women who are raped do not have an abortion.

Little known fact that pro-abortioners never acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies