Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 05:12 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times

Advertisements

Abortion is a states' rights issue?

I was raised Roman Catholic and was indoctrinated in the pro-life argument that a person was a person at conception and, due to that claim, all abortion is murder.*

Under that logic, how do the different states have a right to allow or deny abortion to women?

* For those who misunderstand my current position on abortion, I switched to pro-choice many decades ago, but I do know by heart the arguments that were drilled into me from the 7th to the 12th grades in Catholic schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 05:20 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think the Democrats want SCOTUS to overturn Roe v Wade, that way they can energize their base and possibly win the 2022 elections.

Republicans are so stupid, they’ll probably play right into the Democrat’s hands on this whole thing.

Abortion needs to be a state issue and the federal government needs to stay out of it, period.

If Hawaii and California want to kill future humans, why should I care? If Texas wants to force as many births as they can , or make the woman fly or drive to New Mexico, again, why should I care?
"why should I care? Yet you "care enough to post this.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:24 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

I was raised Roman Catholic and was indoctrinated in the pro-life argument that a person was a person at conception and, due to that claim, all abortion is murder.*

Under that logic, how do the different states have a right to allow or deny abortion to women?

* For those who misunderstand my current position on abortion, I switched to pro-choice many decades ago, but I do know by heart the arguments that were drilled into me from the 7th to the 12th grades in Catholic schools.
"Under that logic"

Your "logic" is flawed.

Our governments, both state and fed, do NOT rule on religious beliefs.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:24 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Default Hearing Dec 1

Date set for December 1

Quote:
The Supreme Court will hear arguments Dec. 1 in a case from Mississippi that tests whether all state laws that ban pre-viability abortions are unconstitutional.

Mississippi's law is one of many that conservative states have passed in the last year or more, seeking to eliminate or severely restrict abortion. Bans on pre-viability abortion have been struck down, until now, in a dozen states since 2019, including Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah and Tennessee.
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/20/10389...jackson-womens

Old 09-21-2021, 05:49 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
Technically, I believe the original decision in 1973 WAS unconstitutional, but it was part of the mores of the time. If the SCOTUS follows the Constitution, as is their job, then abortion rights should return to the states. Some states will allow it up to the point of birth; others will have laws that consider the pain and suffering of a nearly full-term baby and restrict it to the first 16 weeks; and a few will probably outlaw it altogether.

I see no issue. For the 1% or so whose birth control failed, and who want to abort, Planned Parenthood can take the money it saves in the "pro-life" states and have a fund that transports would-be mothers to the adjacent state where they can get an abortion. Also, people who don't like the rules of a pro-life state could move to a more liberal one, or not move there in the first place.
States do not get to randomly change the ground rules of the constitution, this constant bombardment to undermine RvW is frivolous and what do they accomplish. Forcing poor women to choose either to abort or lose their job by taking time off, this will not impact middle class women one bit.

So what's the end game, does anyone think heartbeat laws in some states will end abortion. It will not, it will just put us back to pre-1873.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Under that logic"

Your "logic" is flawed.
It's not "my" logic...it's the logic that was drilled into me by the Roman Catholic Church. Per them, a soul gets attached at conception, therefore an embryo is a human with a soul.

Quote:
Our governments, both state and fed, do NOT rule on religious beliefs.
That doesn't answer my question...how is access to abortion a state right?

Old 09-21-2021, 06:31 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
It's not "my" logic...it's the logic that was drilled into me by the Roman Catholic Church. Per them, a soul gets attached at conception, therefore an embryo is a human with a soul.

That doesn't answer my question...how is access to abortion a state right?
All forms of healthcare are the purview of each state, respectively, as healthcare is NOT an enumerated power or responsibility of the Fed Gov in the Constitution. 10th Amendment. It's why each state has their own medical licensing boards, etc., and why each state decided on it's own whether to expand Medicaid under Obamacare or not.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
All forms of healthcare are the purview of each state, respectively, as healthcare is NOT an enumerated power or responsibility of the Fed Gov in the Constitution. 10th Amendment. It's why each state has their own medical licensing boards, etc., and why each state decided on it's own whether to expand Medicaid under Obamacare or not.
I don't think that what you're claiming is actually true, but just your own opinion that flies in the face of fact.

There's a US Department of Health and Human Services.

The federal government is all in on Medicare and Medicaid. The fact that some Medicaid functionality has been ceded to the state level has more to do with conservative lawmakers and less to do with it's unconstitutionality.

The Affordable Care Act has been found to be constitutional by the Supreme Court.

The Children's Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) exists and is administered by the federal government.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:

Because YOUR religious beliefs are not what is at issue in reference to the states’ rights argument in reference to Roe v Wade. What is at issue is the ruling was not in keeping with the 10th Amendment. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether a fetus is a person or when life life begins. The abortion issue needs to be returned to the individual states, where it belongs. If you disagree with your own state legislature take it up with them.

I say this as a person who personally believes that until the fetus is capable of living outside womb abortion should be a decision between a woman, her doctor, and her God, not me and mine. As far as I am concerned, once they are capable of living outside the womb they get person status - which right now is about 21 weeks gestation.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because YOUR religious beliefs are not what is at issue in reference to the states’ rights argument in reference to Roe v Wade. What is at issue is the ruling was not in keeping with the 10th Amendment. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether a fetus is a person or when life life begins. The abortion issue needs to be returned to the individual states, where it belongs. If you disagree with your own state legislature take it up with them.

I say this as a person who personally believes that until the fetus is capable of living outside womb abortion should be a decision between a woman, her doctor, and her God, not me and mine.
I note that the first part of your quote that I bolded is in direct conflict with the second part that I bolded.

I agree with second part that I bolded - government, whether state or federal, shouldn't have a veto over a woman's right to choose. So why the need to delegate the potential veto to the states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies