Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times

Advertisements

I'll admit I can see how it's questionable how effective masks really are. For instance, look at COVID-19 case data from Enid, OK and Stillwater, OK. Both cities are around 50,000 in population. Stillwater was one of the first Oklahoma cities to start a required mask mandate as it did in July 2020. It first tried to in June but public outcry against it ended it. But skyrocketing cases successfully reinstated it. Enid put off requiring masks until December of 2020. Yet, look at the number of COVID-19 cases, so far, as of Friday:

Enid: 6908
Stillwater: 6217

So, one might question why if masks are so effective why aren't cases in Stillwater as much as thousands lower? I would answer back that masks are like life preservers. They only work when you got one on. Who knows how many people in Stillwater thought they caught COVID-19 from not wearing a mask, such as while at home having company over?

But look at the number of deaths between the two cities blamed on COVID-19:

Enid: 128
Stillwater: 40

The only counter to that I can think of is it's in the demographics. There are many more old people in Enid. But maybe they were more stubborn about taking COVID-19 precautions seriously.

If anybody else can compare COVID-19 case and death data between two cities of similar size under similar circumstances it might be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 03:25 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Trump Trolls go tell Italy which has the tightest locks downs and required masked that they failed well they go it right they have no big outbreaks since reopening everything
Italy's second wave killed more Italians than their first wave.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:00 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Masks are just a symbol of who accepts and promotes tyranny and oppression (Democrats) and those that don't.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:23 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Masks are just a symbol of who accepts and promotes tyranny and oppression (Democrats) and those that don't.
That is purely partisan (look at me - I'm marching lock step with my team) political drivel. Disappointing and false.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:29 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Deaths have been pretty consistent worldwide. Elderly people with pre-existing medical conditions are the majority of victims. Others who get Covid have a 99% survival rate thanks to several therapeutics now which allow them to recover at home, same as with flu.

I think people who want to wear masks after the states have opened up should be banned from entering banks and stores. How will we be able to distinguish them from robbers?

Old 05-31-2021, 03:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spence...dates-n2589990

Well, this is surprising to nobody who has been paying attention for the past year, as long as they haven't been paying attention to the paid liars in the MSM and the Democrat Party.

As more and more ACTUAL science comes out along with the data we ALREADY know, those of us who knew all along that the COVID-19 response was purely political are being proven correct.

The overreaction was simply a means for the Democrats to change voting rules, mail out millions of ballots, and blame Trump for the pandemic. Unfortunately their plan succeeded at a cost of destroying millions of American lives. They got away with it.

So this one study you have faith in -- lol but the countless of world wide studies, medical research, analysis, statistics- - you don't have faith in.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:01 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
masks was the government testing how much people would follow orders from the puppeteers.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:04 PM

17,650 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So this one study you have faith in -- lol but the countless of world wide studies, medical research, analysis, statistics- - you don't have faith in.
No, I don’t believe the YouTube video of someone sneezing that your side claims is “science.” I’ll stick with the decades of research that shows masking the general public to slow growth of aoersolized viruses is worthless.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Well, now we have a hotly competitive political exercise to determine who can out goose-step all others. A contest that is sadly a step backward not only for public health but for any attempt to save our country as well. Because the more of this we see, the fewer who will take seriously any and all positions you advocate going forward.

Clearly, there is nothing to see here.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
masks was the government testing how much people would follow orders from the puppeteers.
God this trope is so annoying.

The government has zero concern in terms of us peasants rising up against it.

Absolutely zero.

This was established in 1794 when then-President Washington physically led an army ready to slaughter farmers in western PA for not paying tribute to his throne.

The "people" took it then and have taken it (you know where) ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies