Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:24 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
There is nothing to "grant" me, facts are facts. Of course it's not just the masks, it's a combination of all Covid mitigation measures.
Learn what a fact is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I do remember that doctor in Africa who claimed covid could be prevented with vitamins. I am sure he was on your side. Of course he is dead now of covid. I have yet to say any doctors who get their health advice from the media or left wing politicians. I have seen a few who seem to get their advice from right wing talking heads. And not all of them are still alive today.
Instead of that Kenyan doctor, let's take Li Wenliang, the Chinese ophthalmologist who died of COVID19.

He came to prominence for not only blowing the whistle on a strange new respiratory virus the world would come to know of as SARS-COV-2, but also because he advocated for all his colleagues to wear masks when treating patients. Didn't save him, did it?

Old 05-28-2021, 07:33 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There is absolutely no question that masks have helped slow the spread of COVID, and perhaps even more importantly, the spread of all other airborne communicable disease. Those who insist otherwise are not thinking, but rather just embarrassing themselves by marching with their team like good soldiers.

A strong case could be made for continuing the mask requirement indefinitely for high density indoor public environments. I will continue to wear mine in such environments for the foreseeable future.
Feel free to wear your mask wherever you want, but an indefinite requirement for certain public spaces? That would be making stopping disease spread the ONLY factor, ignoring all the other potential harms to society. And also ignoring the conflicting evidence.

Wide scale masking will fundamentally change human interaction, in countless and unforeseeable ways. For our entire evolutionary history we have seen each others faces. Social cohesion and cooperation have evolved that way. Now suddenly, that will be altered? What is this, the Taliban?

I wear masks in public spaces, but since I can hardly breathe in an n95, I barely talk to anyone. I never smile, because why bother. And I get in and out of any space as quickly as possible. I'm not alone in that. All this is really not good for social cohesion in general.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:35 AM

3,649 posts, read 1,604,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wonder if doctors and nurses who wear N95 masks in covid wards said "amen" to that?

If it's so political, name one country where mask wear was not required or even encouraged.
Sweden had no mask mandate since the beginning until recently, only for public transport. No lock downs but work at home if you can, and social distance. That's it. The gov said there's no evidence masks work and it makes people feel ok not to social distance. Wearing a mask was viewed as anti-science. The goal was herd immunity.

Did it work? Not really. Very high death rates in nursing homes. And:

Quote:
Sweden’s per-capita case counts and death rates have been many times higher than any of its Nordic neighbors, all of which imposed lockdowns, travel bans, and limited gatherings early on.

Over all in Sweden, thirteen thousand people have died from covid-19. In Norway, which has a population that is half the size of Sweden’s, and where stricter lockdowns were enforced, about seven hundred people have died.
Meanwhile:

Quote:
An analysis of mask mandates in German towns found that they may have reduced covid-19 infections by about forty-five per cent.
Quotes above from The New Yorker

Old 05-28-2021, 07:37 AM

Masks are more about the perception of safety than anything. Like an ostrich sticking his head in a hole, or you closing your eyes right before something slams you in the head.

Back in January 2021, there was a COVID19 outbreak at my church. 8 people in all got it, including the priest. It was an indoor event, some people wore masks, and some didn't like me. 7/8 of the people recovered just fine, like most people do on COVID19. 1 didn't - he ended up on a respirator and 1 month later died. He was 60s+ if not 70s+.

He was wearing a cloth mask. He got it, died. I was wearing no mask, caught nothing. Lived.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:05 AM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Learn what a fact is.
You do that.

Btw, the facts on the flu incidence were given to you on another thread, so I'm not going to bother with that again. Would you like now some facts on smoking? Or perhaps on seat belts?

Old 05-28-2021, 09:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Feel free to wear your mask wherever you want, but an indefinite requirement for certain public spaces? That would be making stopping disease spread the ONLY factor, ignoring all the other potential harms to society. And also ignoring the conflicting evidence.

Wide scale masking will fundamentally change human interaction, in countless and unforeseeable ways. For our entire evolutionary history we have seen each others faces. Social cohesion and cooperation have evolved that way. Now suddenly, that will be altered? What is this, the Taliban?

I wear masks in public spaces, but since I can hardly breathe in an n95, I barely talk to anyone. I never smile, because why bother. And I get in and out of any space as quickly as possible. I'm not alone in that. All this is really not good for social cohesion in general.
I didn't say that there weren't other quite powerful considerations. I said a case could be made....I didn't say the case was quite strong enough to put into law.

I and lots of other people I have talked to all say we have observed considerably less general sickness around us since the mask mandates began. We like not being sick. I also like seeing the faces of attractive women I encounter. It's a tradeoff and not the simplest or easiest decision in life.

But one thing is indisputable....widespread mask use reduces the transmission of airborne communicable disease. Period.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
You do that.

Btw, the facts on the flu incidence were given to you on another thread, so I'm not going to bother with that again. Would you like now some facts on smoking? Or perhaps on seat belts?
Like I said, learn what a fact is, in science anyway.

Quote:
A scientific fact is a repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experimentation or other means), also called empirical evidence.
The flu numbers are estimates based on many small pinpoint observations, and then using some models to project an estimate. In other words, it's not a fact.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:32 PM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Like I said, learn what a fact is, in science anyway.

The flu numbers are estimates based on many small pinpoint observations, and then using some models to project an estimate. In other words, it's not a fact.
I'm talking about the positive test rate

Old 05-28-2021, 05:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Masks are more about the perception of safety than anything. Like an ostrich sticking his head in a hole, or you closing your eyes right before something slams you in the head.

Back in January 2021, there was a COVID19 outbreak at my church. 8 people in all got it, including the priest. It was an indoor event, some people wore masks, and some didn't like me. 7/8 of the people recovered just fine, like most people do on COVID19. 1 didn't - he ended up on a respirator and 1 month later died. He was 60s+ if not 70s+.

He was wearing a cloth mask. He got it, died. I was wearing no mask, caught nothing. Lived.
The mask is to protect others, not yourself. To help mitigate the spread from those who already have it and may or may not know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies