Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 01:13 PM

424 posts, read 175,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
A lot can happen over a lifetime that has nothing to do with politics (it would be no more relevant than if 50% of "conservative" women had some history of mental health difficulties), and it's easy to imagine that over the course of a lifetime, there might be times when someone would deal with some significant mental distress at some point due to biology, life stressors, traumatic events, etc.

Had the article said "90% of women have experienced a physical health issue", I don't think that would be a surprise. I think it shows good emotional intelligence to recognize this and for someone to say "you know what, I'm going to get through this but it wouldn't hurt for me to talk to a mental health professional about what I'm dealing with."

I don't any benefit in shaming people or stigmatizing people for this or for seeking assistance in dealing with this, and I certainly don't see any good coming out of making it a political issue.
It makes certain segments of the population feel better about themselves if they can denigrate others on a message board. I would not be at all surprised if some of the posters on this thread are either in treatment for mental health conditions or, more likely, vehemently denying they have mental health conditions while struggling silently out of shame. It's sad and I hope anyone who needs these services gets them. I have a good friend who makes me roll my eyes at his level of admiration for Trump who has been in counseling for a panic disorder for years. I know that it has nothing to do with his politics, though.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Isn't liberalism, in of itself, basically a mental health issue these days though?
Aren't internet posters who compare liberalism to mental health issues unintelligent and gullible mouth-breathers who frequent anonymous message boards these days though?

Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
50%…talk about a gentle review

Old 06-04-2021, 01:20 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
Over 50% of Liberal, White Women Have A Mental Health Issue
Is it really that low? I'd have guessed much higher.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
Ever notice "self-aware" women could not be more non-self-aware?

Old 06-04-2021, 01:39 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Aren't internet posters who compare liberalism to mental health issues unintelligent and gullible mouth-breathers who frequent anonymous message boards these days though?

I don't know. Has there ever been a study conducted on that subject? I do know, there have been studies conducted on political ideologies and mental health. You should read more about them.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:44 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
...and cats!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
Your link doesn't work, at least not for me when I clicked on it.

First I am not surprised radicals are more likely to have mental illness, whether it's far left or far right, or religious extremism (hence the word fanaticism).

As for the more moderate people, it's not clear if the study was local. We already know liberals are more likely to live in urban areas, and urbanites experience more stress. That would already account for it.

Also not clear whether the leftist ideology comes from mental illness or the other way around. We already know those who feel vulnerable in society are attracted to leftist ideology because it promises the government will take care of them.

The vulnerable include minorities, immigrants, the poor, but also women, especially women without a man to protect them, and of course also the mentally infirm.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:06 PM

727 posts, read 304,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Your link doesn't work, at least not for me when I clicked on it.

First I am not surprised radicals are more likely to have mental illness, whether it's far left or far right, or religious extremism (hence the word fanaticism).

As for the more moderate people, it's not clear if the study was local. We already know liberals are more likely to live in urban areas, and urbanites experience more stress. That would already account for it.

Also not clear whether the leftist ideology comes from mental illness or the other way around. We already know those who feel vulnerable in society are attracted to leftist ideology because it promises the government will take care of them.

The vulnerable include minorities, immigrants, the poor, but also women, especially women without a man to protect them, and of course also the mentally infirm.
Not sure why the link didn't work, I cut and pasted from the link.

I find that studies can be wildly inaccurate, there are some good points and some not so good points. But sometimes stereotypes do exist.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:07 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
I can see liberal women having mental issues. I can see depression as being a big one. Many of them are plain ugly, fat or very angry inside. Not too many men would want to be with them. I think some become lesbians because no guy wants to touch them leading to further mental issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies