Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 11:21 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think the courts have already ruled that schools can have dress codes, even for graduation ceremonies.
I know this. And you know this. But our haughty Canadian pal normstad seems to think he knows something that we don’t. I’m curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 11:21 AM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would anyone ASSume that the teen in question is in the country illegally?
Smart money says hes an anchor baby at best.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:58 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I know this. And you know this. But our haughty Canadian pal normstad seems to think he knows something that we don’t. I’m curious.
Try understanding Tinker vs Des Moines. Specifically, SCOTUS stated “ students do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” The court ruled that Iowa public school officials violated the First Amendment rights of several students by suspending them for wearing black armbands to school.

That is as specific and analogous as it gets.

Want to try again demeaning this "haughty Canadian" who seems to get under your skin and you can't help but stalking around the forum and make unsolicited responses?

Even Hazelwood vs Kuhlmier, a much more conservative SCOTUS said that any restrictions on free speech (it dealt with a student editorial, so not directly related to the flag incidence) can only be enforced if "Under this standard, school officials can regulate school-sponsored student expression, as long as the officials’ actions “are reasonably related to a legitimate pedagogical interest.”

In other words, this means school officials must show that they have a reasonable educational reason for their actions.

Signed:

Stalked Haughty Canadian

Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
I'm liberal by this site's standards but this is a tale as old as time. Schools always threaten to withhold diploma's to curb out of control behaviors. In theory him carrying the Mexican Flag means some knucklehead can break out a Confederate flag or a MAGA banner. Either they are all allowed or all banned. If he knew the rules ahead this was his choice. If he had simply pasted atop the hat he would probably have been fine. Unless he is an exchange student its a really goofy choice.

TBH, I've never understood the need decorate yourself like a Christmas tree, scrawl messages on graduation attire, or start a chant in the middle of graduation. It always reminds me of a coach or old lady admonishing 'act like you've been there before.'

Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Try understanding Tinker vs Des Moines. Specifically, SCOTUS stated “ students do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” The court ruled that Iowa public school officials violated the First Amendment rights of several students by suspending them for wearing black armbands to school.

That is as specific and analogous as it gets.

Want to try again demeaning this "haughty Canadian" who seems to get under your skin and you can't help but stalking around the forum and make unsolicited responses?

Even Hazelwood vs Kuhlmier, a much more conservative SCOTUS said that any restrictions on free speech (it dealt with a student editorial, so not directly related to the flag incidence) can only be enforced if "Under this standard, school officials can regulate school-sponsored student expression, as long as the officials’ actions “are reasonably related to a legitimate pedagogical interest.”

In other words, this means school officials must show that they have a reasonable educational reason for their actions.

Signed:

Stalked Haughty Canadian
See Palmer vs Waxahachie Independent School District, which specifically addresses a school’s right to mandate a dress code. Supreme Court ruled in 2010 in favor of the school district, stating that they have the right to mandate dress codes. This ruling comes 41 years after the Tinker ruling.

I’ll ignore the rest of your post. It’s rather childish.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:24 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Smart money says hes an anchor baby at best.
From the article that I linked he is probably an anchor baby as it stated that he was born here but his parents came here "for a better life". Does that ring a bell? How many times have we heard that from illegal aliens?

Old 06-07-2021, 12:31 PM

424 posts, read 175,964 times
Dumb. They can tell him to leave the graduation ceremony, but they're not going to withhold his actual high school diploma. Even if they did, who cares, really? It's not like it negates his graduation. His college will take his transcripts, and nobody has ever asked me for copies of my diploma (good thing because I don't even have it anymore).

Old 06-07-2021, 12:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
Dumb. They can tell him to leave the graduation ceremony, but they're not going to withhold his actual high school diploma. Even if they did, who cares, really? It's not like it negates his graduation. His college will take his transcripts, and nobody has ever asked me for copies of my diploma (good thing because I don't even have it anymore).
Thing is colleges/jobs would never ask for a copy of your diploma. It’s the transcript they’d want or even verifying the date of graduation by a phone call. My old roommate’s HS (private school) would not give him a diploma and tried to say he didn’t graduate because of money that was owed to them and withheld his transcripts. He even got his commanding officer (Marines) to physically go to the school with him to demand they be turned over so he could finish enlisting. They still try to say he didn’t graduate to this day, even after earning a Bachelor’s degree.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
See Palmer vs Waxahachie Independent School District, which specifically addresses a school’s right to mandate a dress code. Supreme Court ruled in 2010 in favor of the school district, stating that they have the right to mandate dress codes. This ruling comes 41 years after the Tinker ruling.

I’ll ignore the rest of your post. It’s rather childish.
SCOTUS did not rule on Palmer vs Waxahachie. It refused to hear the case. Big difference. It means the restriction is only enforceable in the Fifth District, not in the entire USA.

I would hope an American would understand that difference and the impacts.

The core holding in the Tinker case remains unchanged: Schools may restrict student speech only if it interferes with or substantially disrupts school operations.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From the article that I linked he is probably an anchor baby as it stated that he was born here but his parents came here "for a better life". Does that ring a bell? How many times have we heard that from illegal aliens?
And.... wait for it.... immigrants? Why are you presuming his parents are illegal aliens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies