Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 10:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Agree.
Pulling stunts like this is a time honored tradition at high school graduations. Taking away his diploma for this minor act of rebellion is overkill by a large margin. People seem to have lost perspective these days.
At my youngest son's graduation, behavior had gotten so out of hand in prior years, with extremely loud cheering and airhorn blasts, extended dancing in the aisles, kids going across the stage creating hijinks, that they held it over their heads they wouldn't get their diploma if they OR their family in the audience acted out. NO CHEERING AFTER EACH NAME, even. It was amazing how quickly we got through the line without having to wait til the crowd died down to announce the next graduate's name.

A little decorum?

The graduates were all allowed to decorate their hats, and some did, and that was absolutely fine. Enough of flaunting the rules of an event. Purposely acting out to attract attention to yourself, during a celebration of the accomplishments of the GROUP isn't a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 10:07 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Agree.
Pulling stunts like this is a time honored tradition at high school graduations. Taking away his diploma for this minor act of rebellion is overkill by a large margin. People seem to have lost perspective these days.
It appears at this point he's holding out and refusing to pick up his diploma until the school offers him an apology.

So there's that.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:53 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No, no, and hell no!

He has already completed the graduation requirements and you’ve already “punished” him for the act by not giving the diploma him at the ceremony. He is entitled to his diploma. Now the school is rightfully drawing the ire of the public since they are being petty and not giving the kid what he earned and satisfied the requirements for.
I disagree. He knew the rules, chose not to follow them, and the consequence was not getting his diploma at the ceremony.

The school has told him he can pick it up at the school office.

He's a kid, he did something that is really not that serious, you can see that the teachers shook his hand, and one slapped him friendly on his back as he left the stage.

I'm sure he will think about his form of protests in the future, as will others. But really, it's not that big of a deal.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
According the another article I linked in here about this incident this student was born here so why was he displaying the Mexican flag? He was an American not a Mexican according to a PC policy anyway. IMO, since that article said his parents came here for a better life which usually means they came here illegally I think he was making a statement about his parents who are Mexicans and the fact that he was probably an anchor baby.
So, a US citizen with all the protection of the First Amendment is what you are saying. Cool.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:55 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So, a US citizen with all the protection of the First Amendment is what you are saying. Cool.
It’s just adorable that you think the First Amendment is applicable to this situation.

Ohhhh Canadians.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
It’s just adorable that you think the First Amendment is applicable to this situation.

Ohhhh Canadians.
Concerning that you think it isn't. Ohhh.... Americans.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:05 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Concerning that you think it isn't. Ohhh.... Americans.
Why don’t you explain to me then how our First Amendment right to freedom of speech protects this young man’s right to wear a flag to his graduation ceremony.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:16 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Maybe he plans to go back home to Mexico after graduation ??
Nope. He''l pretend Mexico is great, but he won't actually live there. These freaks like to urinate all over the USA and pretend Mexico is a much better place to live.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It appears at this point he's holding out and refusing to pick up his diploma until the school offers him an apology.

So there's that.

You make a valid point. The student is the one lacking perspective if he thinks its OK to violate a well documented policy and then expect an apology for being called out on it. Regardless of how one feels about pulling stunts like this at graduations, I think everyone, including the students whole pull the stunts, understand that there will be some sort of ceremonial wrist slapping. For him to act like he's the injured party because they called him out on his buffoonery is ridiculous.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:18 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Why don’t you explain to me then how our First Amendment right to freedom of speech protects this young man’s right to wear a flag to his graduation ceremony.
I think the courts have already ruled that schools can have dress codes, even for graduation ceremonies.

I mean, I suppose it would be a form of free speech fro a trans woman to go naked at graduation, to show off their breast implants and penis, but doesn't the school have a right to force a dress code?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies