Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 05:12 PM

30,637 posts, read 21,505,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The bright side is that if things get so bad here, maybe even illegals will not want to come here. You’ll actually have Americans wanting to go to Mexico to live (cheaper).

The irony is that Mexico (and other Latin American countries) won’t let you immigrate there that easily. Sure, they’ll let you visit but to actually immigrate there and be a resident, they won’t allow just anybody, like we do for them.
Love to see them all leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 05:13 PM

30,637 posts, read 21,505,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Bookmarked. We'll revisit later and you can explain to the forum why your fear-mongering didn't pan out.
They are panning out now man.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,944,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The deficits are different. Republican have deficits with policies which spur growth and try to reduce spending but the democrats block it. Meanwhile the deficits we see now are a result of reckless spending which are designed to buy votes by keeping people dependent on the government.
Bull****, they ran a 984 trillion dollar deficit in 2019.

Trump made Obama look conservative on fiscal policy.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:42 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,779,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Bull****, they ran a 984 trillion dollar deficit in 2019.

Trump made Obama look conservative on fiscal policy.
False. They did not run a 984 TRILLION dollar deficit in 2019.

It was a 984 billion dollar deficit.

That was much less than the 1.3 trillion dollar deficit ran in 2010 and again in 2011, as well as less than Obama's 1.1 trillion in 2012.

Still too much, but less than Obama had in 2010.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,944,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
False. They did not run a 984 TRILLION dollar deficit in 2019.

It was a 984 billion dollar deficit.

That was much less than the 1.3 trillion dollar deficit ran in 2010 and again in 2011, as well as less than Obama's 1.1 trillion in 2012.

Still too much, but less than Obama had in 2010.
Yes, 984 billion.

What was the deficit in 2016?

It took several years to recover from the Great Recession.

Why did we run a 984 billion dollar deficit in 2019 when the economy was supposedly so great?

Let me answer my own question.

The federal deficit for 2016 was 587 billion. Trump ran it up 400 billion dollars in three years. Then we had the pandemic.

The unemployment rate peaked at 10% during the Great Recession and didn't return to it's previous rate of 4.7% until May 2016.

The numbers that are significant 2016 587 billion, 2019 984 billion. That is how you measure Trump's fiscal irresponsible administration.

I'm not going to throw out bull**** so I'm ignoring 2020. Just like deficits in the recovery from the great recession should not be compared with the deficit in 2019.

I see all the Trumpies bragging about what a great economy we had pre pandemic. If you run a damn near trillion dollar deficit when the economy is supposedly great what happens when the **** hits the fan? Ya get what we got now.

Last edited by whogo; 07-09-2021 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 08:26 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,779,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, 984 billion.

It took several years to recover from the Great Recession.

Why did we run a 984 billion dollar deficit in 2019 when the economy was supposedly so great?

Let me answer my own question.

The federal deficit for 2016 was 587 billion. Trump ran it up 400 billion dollars in three years. Then we had the pandemic.

The unemployment rate peaked at 10% during the Great Recession and didn't return to it's previous rate of 4.7% until May 2016.

The numbers that are significant 2016 587 billion, 2019 984 billion. That is how you measure Trump's fiscal irresponsible administration.

I'm not going to throw out bull**** so I'm ignoring 2020. Just like deficits in the recovery from the great recession should not be compared with the deficit in 2019.

I see all the Trumpies bragging about what a great economy we had pre pandemic. If you run a damn near trillion dollar deficit when the economy is supposedly great what happens when the **** hits the fan? Ya get what we got now.
There is no doubt Trump spent too much, as did Bush. I always criticize that.

However you made false statements and I corrected that.

Obama had multiple years where he added more to the deficit than Trump did. As a matter of fact, Obama is the only president to ever add more to the national debt than all previous presidents COMBINED. That is mind blowing.

One reason, not all, Trump had to spend so much was because Obama GUTTED the military. That's how Obama reduced his own massive increase in the budget deficit. He gutted the investment in the military. That had consequences. That kicked the investment and upgrading can down the road. Trump had to bring that up to speed again.

You keep touting how great Obama was in reducing the deficit. That is completely false. The first thing Obama did was INCREASE the deficit by a WHOPPING 300% freaking percent in the first year. 300% Man! He only reduced it later from the outrageously artificially high amount he set it at. As a matter of fact, in all his 8 years, Obama had only 1 year less than the highest amount Bush ever had.

Budget Deficits by Year

And it's great you bring up the great recession. It took several years to recover from it because of Obama policies. That's his legacy. The absolute worst recovery since WWII. That's fact.

Now compare how fast our recovery was surging in 2020. A historic recovery. It's now being slowed right back down under Biden. Typical.

Last edited by Stephan A Smith; 07-10-2021 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-10-2021, 08:31 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,004,661 times
If grocery stores are stockpiling, it could also be due to the drought in most of the western states. Will affect beef and wheat, among other foods. There is a thread on that if you are interested.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:44 AM

35,814 posts, read 21,204,023 times
No chicken wings in my area. Where they fly off to ? And again another recall of chicken. So much waste of food. But also our toxic waters are killing thousands of good eating fish due to pollution and or red tide. I do know the gas prices are not in Biden’s control- maybe truckers again can’t afford to haul the goods .

Old 07-10-2021, 08:44 AM

43,581 posts, read 18,640,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
There is no doubt Trump spent too much, as did Bush. I always criticize that.

However you made false statements and I corrected that.

Obama had multiple years where he added more to the deficit than Trump did. As a matter of fact, Obama is the only president to ever add more to the national debt than all previous presidents COMBINED. That is mind blowing.

One reason, not all, Trump had to spend so much was because Obama GUTTED the military. That's how Obama reduced his own massive increase in the budget deficit. He gutted the investment in the military. That had consequences. That kicked the investment and upgrading can down the road. Trump had to bring that up to speed again.

You keep touting how great Obama was in reducing the deficit. That is completely false. The first thing Obama did was INCREASE the deficit by a WHOPPING 300% freaking percent in the first year. 300% Man! He only reduced it later from the outrageously artificially high amount he set it at. As a matter of fact, in all his 8 years, Obama had only 1 year less than the highest amount Bush ever had.

Budget Deficits by Year

And it's great you bring up the great recession. It took several years to recover from it because of Obama policies. That's his legacy. The absolute worst recovery since WWII. That's fact.

Now compare how fast our recovery was surging in 2020. A historic recovery. It's now being slowed right back down under Biden. Typical.
Presidents do not act alone and Presidents do not hold the purse strings.
Congress does although the President does sign off on it.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:45 AM

43,581 posts, read 18,640,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If grocery stores are stockpiling, it could also be due to the drought in most of the western states. Will affect beef and wheat, among other foods. There is a thread on that if you are interested.
Wheat yes but not so much beef as the majority of that comes from Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies