Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2021, 12:02 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times

Advertisements

We're being presented with a golden opportunity to apply Darwinism's survival of the fittest theory. Dumb people will be naturally eradicated based on their choices regarding vaccines, masks, and social distancing. It's a win-win situation for anyone who isn't an idiot.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:10 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No I don’t spend time worrying about a 99% global survival rate virus, life is far too short for that.
The trouble with a 99% survival .... err ... 1% mortality rate is that it means we will all lose friends and family members. I've lost a brother in law, I nearly lost a nephew (over a month in ICU teetering on the brink of death), a niece was hospitalized and so on.

Republicans should of course be concerned because a 1% loss in numbers could cost them the next elections.

By comparison, in my entire life I have only once lost a family member to influenza and that was a 98 year old person. Apparently, we don't generally die of old age, we succumb to virus infections at the end of our lives due to the our failing immune systems. Which is old age related therefore we still die of old age but you'll know what I mean.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:40 AM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The trouble with a 99% survival .... err ... 1% mortality rate is that it means we will all lose friends and family members.
Yes it’s called being mortal, we’re all going to die eventually.

We’re all going to be gone, so no one is going to sacrifice their short time on earth being worried about it after 18 months of lockdowns.

The statistics show that 50% of Americans don’t care to be vaccinated and I’m glad they don’t. Why? Because it’s a 99% global survival rate virus and there are far more other things to be worried about.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Old 07-17-2021, 05:42 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So I guess so are not worried about our kids at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_of_the_children

The rhetorical device you're using is garbage. Wish you would knock it off.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:43 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So I guess so are not worried about our kids at all.

The conversation always ignores the people who can be infected and killed by those who are not vaccinated. Not everyone can get vaccinated and not everyone will generate a strong immune response if they do. The conversation is always about "me".

Old 07-17-2021, 05:46 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Even if severe cases really are entirely among people with pre-existing conditions and the elderly, the virus still places too much of a strain on our healthcare system to simply let it go endemic. Since half the country won't accept a vaccine, what else do we do? Do we just stay locked down forever, as long as certain types of gatherings like churches aren't affected?
The same thing man has done with viruses since the dawn of time - let the unvaccinated ride them out.

Now I believe in God as much as the next guy, but I doubt he is keeping churches any safer than any other place people gather.

Consider this: Viruses evolve in order to live. They want to live as much as people do. They do not want to kill their host. The more we disinfect everything and vaccinate everything, the more we cause viruses and other bacteria to become stronger. We see this with the Covid-19 Delta variant and other variants that are already following behind Delta.

At some point we are going to have to become happy with the amount of strength this virus has obtained and ride it out - just like all those that came before us have done.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 07-17-2021 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-17-2021, 05:54 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The Tucker Carlson-Fox-GOP anti-vaccine campaign is worse than hate speech.
Hate speech generally doesn't kill.
The anti-vaccine rhetoric has and is killing people right now.
I know that's harsh, but it's true.

Can you quote or post video of Carlson saying something that you consider "anti vaccine rhetoric"?

Since when is advocating for letting people make up their own minds about whether or not they want to get vaccinated "anti vaccine"?

Old 07-17-2021, 06:25 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
What you are insinuating is sterilising immunity - the current vaccines do not provide that level of immunity. There was a nasal administered one that worked well in the nasal passages, but failed to provide sufficient protection in the body.

The current vaccines will help your body fight off an infection. You still get infected - the vaccination may prevent further infection at the point that it spreads beyond the first few cells. If your body responds quickly enough, you will have less viral replication in your body. With lowers levels of viral particles, you are less likely to transmit the virus because you are expelling lower concentrations of viral particles in your breath. You are also less likely to test positive for an infection because you do not meet the threshold for the tests.
I agree 100%. There are people that for some psychological reason are afraid of going back to "normality." They like the idea of people parentally telling them what to do or not do. It reminds me of the summer of 1969 at sleepaway camp. I was not popular or good athletically. The rare times the sun came out that very rainy summer, think Woodstock, I was a bit apprehensive of the return to the athletic fields. I took every opportunity those days to go on hikes but I digress.

People grow to secretly love the nanny state and can't picture returning to life as it was in January 2020 and before where they could just go to a movie, the library, a concert or a show without asking someone's permission or checking to see whether it's open.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:28 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Do whatever you want. Just don't tell other people what to do.
Freedom is not unlimited. What you do impacts the freedom of other people. That is one of the most basic reason for government to exist.
To quote an anonymous but very famous expression, Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:20 AM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes it’s called being mortal, we’re all going to die eventually.

We’re all going to be gone, so no one is going to sacrifice their short time on earth being worried about it after 18 months of lockdowns.

The statistics show that 50% of Americans don’t care to be vaccinated and I’m glad they don’t. Why? Because it’s a 99% global survival rate virus and there are far more other things to be worried about.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies